WJC...Who to look forward to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
MrMastodonFarm said:
Thy name is Kris Chucko, thy bidding will be done.

I am curious to see this too...I can already see another Chucko vs. *insert name here* thread on the horizon

I am curious to see how the americans play...with kessel and mueller being reunited, maybe throw Stoa in there...then with Lee, Johnson, and probably Thelen on the blueline, they might be a sleeper.

I am assuming it will be Frazee in goal...although the drinking age in BC is under 20, so keep him away from the Long Islands...

Guy Flaming

DeuceUNO said:
I am curious to see how the americans play...with kessel and mueller being reunited, maybe throw Stoa in there...then with Lee, Johnson, and probably Thelen on the blueline, they might be a sleeper.

A sleeper?

EVERYONE I have spoken with in regards to the WJC this year is slotting the US as the team to beat. One NHL GM told me that he thought the 2006 American team will be as dominant as the '05 Canadians.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
DeuceUNO said:
I am curious to see this too...I can already see another Chucko vs. *insert name here* thread on the horizon
I'm not sure how Chucko will do on Team Canada this year (if he infact makes it) although it will be nice to see him playing against guys all his same age.

As for Chuck vs whoever, I am confident Chucko will lose 90% of those, he just isn't a "sexy" prospect, but he can drink them under the table.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
DeuceUNO said:

I am assuming it will be Frazee in goal...although the drinking age in BC is under 20, so keep him away from the Long Islands...

I doubt Frazee's the number one goaltender. It will probably be Cory Schneider, with one of Frazee, Sauer, or Bishop backing him up.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Guy Flaming said:
A sleeper?

EVERYONE I have spoken with in regards to the WJC this year is slotting the US as the team to beat. One NHL GM told me that he thought the 2006 American team will be as dominant as the '05 Canadians.

I think the U.S. will ice a better team than they did when they won gold. Tons of firepower up front, a very solid defense, and quality goaltending. Hopefully Walt Kyle has more of a clue than Scott Sandelin.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Nicklas Bäckström will be interesting to follow in this tournament. Just check his stats from this season in the SEL compared to Sweden's best offensive prospects the last seasons in the SEL at the same age (18):

GP G A P
Nicklas Bäckström 25 4 7 11
Robert Nilsson 34 2 4 6
Fredrik Sjöström 31 2 3 5
Alexander Steen 26 0 3 3
Nicklas Bergfors 25 1 0 1

Bäckström plays in every situation and his very mature for his age. A great passer and twoway responsible player.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
I read on the Phoenix board that The Hockey News had a section in a recent issue that listed four players from each country to watch at the WJC. I just got my copy of THN and I didn't see anything about it. I was wondering if maybe I missed an issue. Anyone know about this? Who was on the cover of that issue? Thx.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I think Travis Zajac, Kris Chucko and Steve Downie will all be players to watch. Zajac is simply a phenomenal player and I think he's probably a better prospect is than Parise was at this point. Chucko reminds me of a healthy Owen Nolan who could score. Downie is the wildcard. Ever since the deal to Peterborough, he's got his head back on straight. I think a coach like Dick Todd was what was needed for Steve. As well, playing for a Sutter is only going to help keep that head on straight.

As for other players who will be fun to watch, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Robbie Schremp will do. Another one to watch should be Brian Lee. There's something about Ottawa draft picks and the WJC which makes it fun to watch. Yeah, the WJC may not have Crosby and those guys this year, but I think the current group might be just as fun to watch because of the unpredictability of who will star.

A Good Flying Bird*

hifk88 said:
Finnish Players to watch! WJC06

Perttu Lindgren Ilves C 87 25games 4+8=12points
(He has been very good at Finnish elite league so far)
Jesse Joensuu Ässät F 87 25games 2+5=7points
Tuukka Rask Ilves G 87 11games 90.94%
Mikko Lehtonen Blues F 87 21games 4+1=5points
Petteri Wirtanen HPK C 86 24games 2+1=3points
Karri Rämö HPK G 86 8games 95.67%
Teemu Laakso HIFK D 87 25games 1+0=1point
(He have had some injuries and problems but i think that he can be the next Pitkänen!)
Juho Mielonen D 87 14games 0+1=1point
Lauri Korpikoski F 86 25games 2+2=4points
Miika Lahti JYP C 16games 2+1=3points

How about Nyholm?

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
I dont think Nyholm can make to team this year but he´s been very good at Finnish junior league 19 games and 10+5=15points.
He is one of the HIFK future prospects!

Last edited:

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
BobbyClarkeFan16 said:
I think Travis Zajac, Kris Chucko and Steve Downie will all be players to watch. Zajac is simply a phenomenal player and I think he's probably a better prospect is than Parise was at this point. Chucko reminds me of a healthy Owen Nolan who could score. Downie is the wildcard. Ever since the deal to Peterborough, he's got his head back on straight. I think a coach like Dick Todd was what was needed for Steve. As well, playing for a Sutter is only going to help keep that head on straight.

As for other players who will be fun to watch, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Robbie Schremp will do. Another one to watch should be Brian Lee. There's something about Ottawa draft picks and the WJC which makes it fun to watch. Yeah, the WJC may not have Crosby and those guys this year, but I think the current group might be just as fun to watch because of the unpredictability of who will star.

Travis Zajac is too old for the WJC. It's for players born 1986 and younger. Zajac is a 1985 born.

A Good Flying Bird*

Wings potential players

Sweden
Cristofer Lofberg .. on the off chance he's invited.
Johan Ryno ... has a decent chance.
Mattias Ritola ... I dislike his game, but he appears to have favor with the national team for some dumb reason.
Anton Axelsson ... does he still qualify?

FInland
Mielonen ... skilled defenseman

Belarus
Siarhei Kolasau ... Big, physical, stay at home dman

Canada
McGrath ... only Canadian hopeful is still lighting up the OHL

US
Tyler Haskins ... should get a look
Justin Abdelkader ... very slim shot

Czech ...
Jakub Kindl could get the call

Non Wings who I want to see ...

Switzerland ... Goalie Reto Bera ... thought he'd be picked in the draft
Sweden ... Tiny Frederik Petterson (dazzling speed and playmaking and determination)and defenseman Nik Hjalmarsson (fast, hard hitting, skilled) are two of my favorite Swedish prospects
Finland ... Robert Nyholm ... a big talented forward with skill, speed and heart.
US ... wanna see how Jack Johnson does this year.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
TinCanCommunications said:
Sweden
Cristofer Lofberg .. on the off chance he's invited.
Johan Ryno ... has a decent chance.
Mattias Ritola ... I dislike his game, but he appears to have favor with the national team for some dumb reason.
Anton Axelsson ... does he still qualify?

The preliminary Swedish WJC team has already been selected.

Löfberg: Not even named = about 20 forwards born 1986 or later that were considered better than him

Ryno: Named, has IMO a 70-30 chance of making the final roster

Ritola: Named, has IMO a 50-50 chance of making the final roster. Why do you dislike his game? I thought all people enjoyed a very technically skilled forward? Where did you see him play and in what way did you not like what you saw?

Axelsson: Named, has IMO a 95-5 chance of making the final roster :)

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I think Karri Rämö will get most of the starts for Finland, so Rask might not be able to showcase himself yet.

Rämö's stock will go up though, I'm expecting him to be the talk of the games afterwards.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Well Brule was injured last night (gone for 4 to 6 wks) he is now officially gone from the WJC.

A Good Flying Bird*

Predatore said:
The preliminary Swedish WJC team has already been selected.

Löfberg: Not even named = about 20 forwards born 1986 or later that were considered better than him

Ryno: Named, has IMO a 70-30 chance of making the final roster

Ritola: Named, has IMO a 50-50 chance of making the final roster. Why do you dislike his game? I thought all people enjoyed a very technically skilled forward? Where did you see him play and in what way did you not like what you saw?

Axelsson: Named, has IMO a 95-5 chance of making the final roster :)

I saw Ritola play at the U18s in Ann Arbor last winter.
If he had skill, he didn't show it.
Decent size. Decent speed.
No hustle. Very lazy game.

Fred Petterson (Ritola's linemate in the tournament) was EASILY the best Swedish player. He was the only Swedish forward who could do anything against the USA's tremendous defense (J. Johnson, Mark Mitera, Chad Morin, Mark Mitera, Zacj Jones, Brandon Gentile)

He took a beating, but the little guy kept getting up and kept driving to the net.

Backstrom was pretty good (a bit younger, but good). Robin Lindqvist and Nikclas Person also had good tournaments against the Euro teams.

I can't believe Niklas Hjalmarsson didn't make the team. Good offensive defenseman who matched the USA hit for hit. This kid amazed me. He went up against a physical US team that was punishing everyone with huge hits (Ryan Stoa and Jack SKille and Jason Bailey and Peter Mueller Zac McAvoy) and he was great. He probably threw more open ice hits than anyone not named Jack Johnson.

Chicago got a steal in Hjalmarsson.
Calgary (or was it Edmonton) got a steal in Pettersson, IMO.

Mr.Brownov*

As a Canadian, I for one am looking forward to seeing team USA in their entirety. Seeing the Kessel's,Skille's and Wheeler's right down to the Thelan's and Johnson's. Going to be the most impressive american U20 team in my recent memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->