Post-Game Talk: WJC U20 Championship Game

Clowes Line

Cally's Chicken Parm
Aug 11, 2010
New Yawk
www.outsidethegarden.com
I think we can all agree that the defense as a whole was superb. 8 (?) goals against in the whole tournament (Yes, I know Gibson was excellent as well). Excluding the empty netter at the end of this game, the team scored 30 goals in the tournament, 10 of which were potted by defenseman. That's one-third. Incredible.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Erik Johnson ‏@6ErikJohnson
Congrats team USA on gold! Well @GabeLandeskog92 u lost the bet, can't wait to see you wear this shirt all next week. pic.twitter.com/0nNVA2AH

:laugh:

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I don't see why people are so high on Seth Jones. He was very skilled, but had a pea sized brain.
Unbelievably selfish

Didn't see it that way at all. I think you mistake his domination of the play when he has the puck. He's the one they want holding it too. He's a beast, Number 1 in 2013.

Great Tourney for USA, 20THIRTEEN !!! Love that we were not a big favorite, always makes it a bit better to win Gold. Big ups to Housley and staff, very impressed with their moves. Big nod to that last line before the empty netter - Miller, Barber, Hartman - all tough, Swedes were afraid to hold the puck.

Speaking of Miller, was a horse, like having a great sweeper on a Soccer team, he gets the puck and keeps it moving in the right directions. Offensive IQ seems so so but I still see him netting 20 a year just off rebounds and broken plays, puck finds him/vice versa.

Gibson and Gaudreau showing how important a 2nd or 4th round pick could be. Remember how everyone thought 2011 was a horrible draft for goalies?

Now onto college, Harvard/Princeton last night at Hobey Baker Rink. Princeton wins in OT, hat trick goal. Sold out crowd went crazy ! Probably the best two days of Hockey I'll see in 2013.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Jesus, someone should read the thread on the WJC board.

Things they talk about after USA wins:
-Americans and Europeans shouldn't be allowed in the CHL
-Less than 1% of Americans know what this tournament is
-The Bronze Medal thread has more posts

Who gives a **** if other Americans don't care? Obviously all the Americans here care, so I don't get that. Also, it just makes them look even worse if no American cares, because we beat them in a tournament that they care about so much, and apparently we don't.

This arrogance by some Canadians is exactly why I root for Canada in EVERY single international game. Seriously they can be playing Afghanistan or something and I'd root for the Afghans.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Any chance that if we have a season Miller sees some time as the #3 C? Considering his D seems to be very good and his offensive upside is probably higher than Boyle's what can it hurt?

Kershaw

Any chance that if we have a season Miller sees some time as the #3 C? Considering his D seems to be very good and his offensive upside is probably higher than Boyle's what can it hurt?

Miller isn't ready for a shutdown role in the NHL.

I do think he'll get call ups when Gaborik/Nash/Callahan get injured.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Jones will be a phenomenal player. The criticism of his play is way over the top. He's an 18 year old and was very very good in a 19 year old tournament. Does anyone remember Pietrangelo in his first WJC? He was terrible and came back the next year and was great. Jones at the same age showed far more than Pietrangelo did in their first tournament and now Pietrangelo is one of the most valued assets in the NHL. Trouba also looks like hes going to be a big time player and probably should have been the 1st dman taken in his draft.

This is 100% accurate post. Jones was much better his first WJC than Pietrangelo. Doesn't mean much so early in his development but it's true.

I can't see how people can watch the last few games and get on Jones case. He is going to be a damn good player. I thought he played excellent. His talent or potential is undeniable.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I didn't think Jones had a great tourney either but he just turned 18. He'll be very good.

How about Johnny Gibson? Guy was a stud. His stop on Strome in the Canada game was absolutely ridiculous.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Solid win. Again, don't just look at my location and flag and assume I'm reacting as Canadians would :laugh: I'm a weird one.

Miller is playing perfect Torts hockey which is good to see. Scoring on the WJC can be misleading IMO. Not only is it shortened tournament games but there are certain gravitation toward certain elements of the game that can Change scoring dynamics for players. Having that said, a little more maneuvering in the offensive zone to give himself a better chance can't hurt his work ethic.

Alex G just didn't find the right chemistry in this tournament. Put him on the right line and a potent power play, he'll be snipping water bottles all day. Trouba over Jones. Gibson channeled some Lundqvist consistency and work ethic.

Johnny Gaudreau is going to be really interesting in a few years depending on how well he works his game and improves on understanding how to use his strengths to be effective consistently.

USA.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Miller:

T-1st in points for USA.
2nd in FO% (Pietella is there also but I didn't count him because of his small sample size)
T-3rd +/-. Ahead of all of his top six peers.

He had a tremendous tournament. Keep in mind he scored just over a PPG in the OHL last year. He's not an offensive dynamo.

Yeah, he was no Stepan (nobody has had a better WJC in the past 5 years IMO), but he was consistently very good the entire ride.

If he had scored a few more goals (instead of assists) I could see him making the All-Tournament Team.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Holy cow, on the Nets broadcast just now I learned that Seth Jones is the son of former NBA player (and current Nets assistant) Popeye Jones, who was one big dude in his own right.

I'm sure some of you were aware of that, but I thought it was a pretty cool nugget for those who didn't know.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Holy cow, on the Nets broadcast just now I learned that Seth Jones is the son of former NBA player (and current Nets assistant) Popeye Jones, who was one big dude in his own right.

I'm sure some of you were aware of that, but I thought it was a pretty cool nugget for those who didn't know.

It's neat to learn that when Seth wanted to learn about hockey, Popeye went and asked Joe Sakic what he should do since he was in Denver at the time, lol.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

Pun intended? Just to clarify, he was on the Nuggets.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Congrats to the US team...they were the best team there and deserved it . Not all Canadians think it is our right to win it every year . However...don't act the same way as so many Canucks have done when the Blue Jays win it all this year !!! :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad