WJC Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
When's the last time we had more than a couple of prospects in this tournament? This should be fun.
What I really like is that most will be leaned on for offence and ice time.....in the past, especially team canada, they were always in secondary roles or they’d start at the top but make their way to the bottom. Of course they’re a few exceptions but overall most were not depended on for goals.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Any chance Ikonen comes back for WJC? He is set to return late december to
mid january.

Doubt it. Too much of a risk for team Finland to insert a playing coming back from a long injury. I think he is skating at the moment so not 100% sure how ready he is. Last injury update I heard about Ikonen was about 2 weeks ago. He started skating at some point in Novemember so I guess it depends on his progress and he does have another week or so ish in getting back into game shape.

At the moment Ikonen is not on the Finland evaluation camp. It also appears they are focusing on a 17/18 year old youth roster and to contend in next years tournament.

Toni Utunen named to Finland’s World Junior Camp

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Good. All of the prospects who we hoped to get the call are at least at the preliminary camps.

Poehling, Olofsson, Suzuki, Ylonen, Brook, Romanov & Primeau.

That's 7 quality players.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Sweden probably won't go further than the quarter finals given the lack of forwards . The D is decent but all reports I've read from home are pessimistic.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Canada vs US finals would be crazy, I think it's pretty likely we end up having 5 guys with medals when the tourney is over

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
If he doesnt, its on reputation. Hes better than Bouchard and Dobson.

I don't disagree. And since his coach is the WJ coach I can see him having the upper hand due to familiarity. However Bobby ususally speaks from a place of confidence so idk what he's hearing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't remember who of Button or McKenzie said this but they listed 3 RD as locks: Bouchard, Dobson and Mitchell. None on the left side..

I think it was just listed as potential locks. Button did most of the talking. I saw it the same.. Bouchard, Dobson, Mitchell on the RD side. No locks on the LD side. What do they know? it's anybodies guess. The only lock I would have on the RD side is Bouchard. I do think Brook is in the mix between Dobson and Mitchell. Depends on how they look in warm up games and how the coaches test them in practice

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He could still end up on the bottom pair. Don't know why Mitchell would be over him.

I feel the same. Not sure why TSN would have Mitchell as a lock over Brook. But hey, TSN always trolls the Habs so I'm not surprised.

Worth noting that Brook and Mitchell were back to back 2nd round picks in 2017 at 56th and 57th.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don't disagree. And since his coach is the WJ coach I can see him having the upper hand due to familiarity. However Bobby ususally speaks from a place of confidence so idk what he's hearing.

This will be a huge advantage in the warm-up games especially... Brook should benefit from the comfort and familiarity with the coaching expectations, allowing him to focus on fully on performing whereas the guys he's competing for a spot with will have to deal with the learning curve of adjusting to a new voice behind the bench/in practice.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I think it was just listed as potential locks. Button did most of the talking. I saw it the same.. Bouchard, Dobson, Mitchell on the RD side. No locks on the LD side. What do they know? it's anybodies guess. The only lock I would have on the RD side is Bouchard. I do think Brook is in the mix between Dobson and Mitchell. Depends on how they look in warm up games and how the coaches test them in practice

Would make sense, volume of my tv was on low when I saw the potential locks lineup. As for Bouchard, I would use him on the top pwp unit, but I'd like to see him having easier matchups on even strenght, not a big fan of his play in his own zone. He is a lock, nonetheless. I think they take 3 LD and 4 RD with Dobson/Mitchell/Brook as the 7th D.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would make sense, volume of my tv was on low when I saw the potential locks lineup. As for Bouchard, I would use him on the top pwp unit, but I'd like to see him having easier matchups on even strenght, not a big fan of his play in his own zone. He is a lock, nonetheless. I think they take 3 LD and 4 RD with Dobson/Mitchell/Brook as the 7th D.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Acadien86

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Yeah, you know that 1.5 point/game Dman who captains one of the coaches actual junior team, yeah he isn't making the team???

Ya it has to be stated how much of an advantage it is. Brookes tryout has been his whole season, while the others have only a few games to prove themselves.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he makes the team it would be quite the feat. The Russians barely ever keep 18 year olds on their team.

Romanov is 19 Jan 6th. Making the KHL shows about about how coaches trust him. I'm 75% sure he makes that Russian team at this stage but they are unpredictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad