WJC: the favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I would say Canada is the favourite, for the same reason the US was the favourite last year -- most of the team are returning from the prior year, and the bulk of the players are 19 years old.

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Team Canada for sure, just the goaltender who maybe are unexperimented, but i dont know them well, so i wont say nothing, if they use well Crosby they should win

Kasparov*

I think Russia will win this year while Canada does best what its great at doing, choking.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Canada walked through the entire tournament last year with ease, and IMO, out-played the US in every aspect of the game... except in net :banghead:

The Canadian team will be even stronger this year, so I'd have to say Canada.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Canada is the favorite no doubt. 4 returning defensemen, added to it Cam Barker, Brent Burns and likely Shea Weber, there is more experience and leadership on Canada's backline than in most teams entire lineup.

Canada could very well have the 3 best lines of the tournament because most of the forwards are returning (all the skilled ones to boot). Dawes--Richards--Stewart will be reunited, Crosby could be playing with Nathan Horton and/or Patrice Bergeron, Getzlaf and Carter could see an even more skilled winger to play with them. THen the amount of grinders, role players and other skilled players the team has to choose from is unmatched by anybody.

Inexperienced goaltending is the only place anybody can point to as a weakness. But it isn't like Canada has never gone into the WJCs with non-returning goalies.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Kasparov said:
I think Russia will win this year while Canada does best what its great at doing, choking.

The last 10 tournaments Canada has 3 gold 4 silver 2 bronze, Russia has 3-2-2

Reilly311

dawgbone said:
The last 10 tournaments Canada has 3 gold 4 silver 2 bronze, Russia has 3-2-2

Canada doesn't care about anything other than gold which they haven't won since 97. (I think) Winning a bronze medal isn't an accomplishment.

How anyone can call Canada the favorites with unexperienced goaltending baffles me. It's not like team USA doesn't have anyone returning from last years team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
J17ster said:
Canada should win fairly easily as they have guys like Crosby, Bergeron, Horton, Stewart etc

"Fairly easily"? I don't think so. I'l admit Canada is the favorite, but the U.S. and Russia shouldn't be overlooked.

Vic Rattlehead*

Sure, Canada's goaltending may not be the best, but their defence and offence surely are the best in the tournament.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I honestly believe that this has a chance to be the best team Canada has ever sent to the World Junior Championships.

This team is going to be solid all the way down the line, hell the 4th line Canada could end up using at this tournament could end up being nearly all the countries 1st line.

The depth is going to be asanine.

Inexperienced goaltending? Bah, so was Montoya last year and look at the job he did for the Americans. It's not like Canada doesn't have a capable goalie. There are many outstanding candidates.

Last year, with the team being comprised of mostly 18 year olds, I was happy with the showing we had last year, even as a silver.

This year, I expect nothing short of a gold medal and with ease. This team on paper (and thats all we have to go by at this moment) is way better then any other in the tournament. No other country will be cutting top 10 selections from their team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Douggy said:
I think the US are the favourites again this year.

My madly early prediction:
1) USA
2) Canada
3) Czech Republic

You think Russia will not be competitive ??.. They have last years top to Franchise picks Alexander Ovechkin and Evgeny Malkin in the lineup ...

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Canada should win this one quite easily. Crosby is a year older and he'll likely take over the #1 center job. Not to mention the NHL players that'll be on the team.

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
It's not like Canada got amazing goaltending last year and they needed a 3rd period collapse to lose. We've got a Sutter behind the bench this year as well :)

Reilly311

19bruins19 said:
Sure, Canada's goaltending may not be the best, but their defence and offence surely are the best in the tournament.

yeah, and the reason they lost last year wasn't because of goaltending. :lol

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
J17ster said:
Canada should win fairly easily as they have guys like Crosby, Bergeron, Horton, Stewart etc

What a stupid way of thinking... Have you ever heard of a word ''team''?! Obviously not! Where were teams like Detroit or Colorado or, even better, NY Rangers in the past two years??? According to you the Rangers should be the best team in the universe! How do you explain this years Stanley cup finals: Calgary-Tampa? Or good play by Minesota and Annaheim last year?

US maybe, but Canada will expirience what happend to Russia last year. All the pucks will go to Crosby and he can't win by himself (like Ovechkin last year). Canadians, if you are lucky you will end up 2nd, like you always do! You are good enough to be the vice champion! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->