WJC Studs/Disappointments

espo*

Other than Okposo being one of Pierre's "special boys" in the first game, he has been absolutely invisible. Today vs Slovakia, with lots of open ice, he did nothing. And I was lead to believe he was the second coming of Christ by some US posters here. What gives?

I sort of agree about Okposo.i can see his positives and what people are excited about but Aside from the German game i don't think he's done much with what he does have.His play has'nt been as good as people are making it out to be IMO.

kane is a skillful guy who has done a great job on the PP against Germany and against a team that gave him all the time in the world to make plays(Slovakia),he was taken completely out by Canada but they had to work hard at it .He sure is skilled and is easily their most dangerous forward when given a little lee-way from the opposition.

I wonder where he'll be picked.it'll be high but how high?

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
When all is said and done, I think Hjalmarsson and Pettersson are two Swedes who are going to be steals at their respective draft choices.
Hjalmarsson looks like a Nik Kronwall clone.
Pettersson looks like a small speedy dymnamo with all kinds of speed, skill and heart.

And I can't believe Nyholm isn't on Team Finland.
Are they punishing kids who've jumped to the CHL?

Neither can I.

To tell you the truth I believe team Finland management just simply forgot about him. They probably thought he was a Swede.

It wouldn't surprise me at all seeing as how they found out Kai Kantola wasn't able to represent Finland moments before the first game!

His parents made the trip all the way from the states only to learn their son won't play a single game and that he has already gone back home.

And don't get me started on all the other players that should have made the team.

Team Finland management makes baby Jesus cry.

mooseOAK*

Other than Okposo being one of Pierre's "special boys" in the first game, he has been absolutely invisible. Today vs Slovakia, with lots of open ice, he did nothing. And I was lead to believe he was the second coming of Christ by some US posters here. What gives?

Beats me. A lot of speed and skating around the perimeter but not much passing sense or finishing ability.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Jack Johnson played like Jack Mutha F%&$'n today. Nice PP goal and some punishing hits!
And three or four absolutely horrible decisions out on the ice. He's definitely a flashy player but he makes far too many mistakes for me. It will be interesting to see if he makes progress with this part of his game when he hits the NHL. He'll be riding the bench if he keeps making those terrible pinches.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
When all is said and done, I think Hjalmarsson and Pettersson are two Swedes who are going to be steals at their respective draft choices.
Hjalmarsson looks like a Nik Kronwall clone.
Pettersson looks like a small speedy dymnamo with all kinds of speed, skill and heart.

And I can't believe Nyholm isn't on Team Finland.
Are they punishing kids who've jumped to the CHL?

I saw the same. He skates and passes exactly the same and had the huge hit on O'Marra. Looks like another nice pick by the Hawks.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Jack Johnson played like Jack Mutha F%&$'n today. Nice PP goal and some punishing hits!

Goal: Lucky. If not lucky, still far from nice.
2 out of three hits: Illegal
Game: definitely not the game of a first-rounder

Jack Johnson is overrated as hell. I said this last year and I'm saying it again now after seeing even more of him. That said, he will probably still make an excellent NHL'er, unless they start calling penalties for checking to the head over there as well...

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I'm honestly quite disapointed with Gagner. I know he's younger, but he was awesome in the camp games I saw, and now he's just invisible/making lots of stupid mistakes. Hopefully he's better next year.

Towelie*

Dissapointed with Cogliano. Is kind of like Brandon Reid IMO, lots of flash and dash, but doesn't really get anything accomplished offensively.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Hjalmarsson has been a frigging freight train this tournament. Who would have thought Sweden of all teams would deliver so many hard hits? It's not just Hjalmarsson, alot of players have been dishing it out on a frequent basis.

As for the stud part, I still have to repeat Omark after the quarter final against Czech Republic. He has been absolutely amazing all games he has played and leads the team with 5 points. And the guy isn't even drafted.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
Dissapointed with Cogliano. Is kind of like Brandon Reid IMO, lots of flash and dash, but doesn't really get anything accomplished offensively.

I don't know if I am disappointed with him but I keep waiting for him to go around the D and make that cut to the net that usually comes with players of his speed. Thus far it has not happened.

Also expected Little to create more scoring chances. I know he is playing a more of a role on this team but still expected something from him even if only against the weaker teams.

time

Feb 26, 2005
I don't know if I am disappointed with him but I keep waiting for him to go around the D and make that cut to the net that usually comes with players of his speed. Thus far it has not happened.

I think the NCAA allows players to flash a little more then junior. More room on the ice -- less frontier justice. Players that come out of that stream need to adjust to the tighter checking of higher levels. Many have done so, but look at how Kessel has had to change his game: he's using his quick release and hard shot more than his "hop" move around the defence.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Having watched the highlights of the Finland/USA game, I can't help but call Tukka Rask a disappointment. I wasn't that impressed with him last year. He seemed to give up a bunch of juicy rebounds in the action I saw. Yes, he stopped about 9000 shots in the QF game against the Swedes, but a lot of those were a result of poor rebound control.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Russia through four games and in order:
(see game threads for my reasoning)

Studs:
1. Makarov
2. Cherepanov
3. Varlamov

Disappointments:
1. Vasyunov
2. Alexandrov
3. Kiryukhin

WestgateCoyote

Jun 28, 2006
Glendale, AZ
Actually I´m pretty disappointed with Martin Hanzal. The guy is leading the WHL in scoring and so far hasn´t showed that potential (only 1 goal in 5 games).

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Hjalmarsson has been a frigging freight train this tournament. Who would have thought Sweden of all teams would deliver so many hard hits? It's not just Hjalmarsson, alot of players have been dishing it out on a frequent basis.

As for the stud part, I still have to repeat Omark after the quarter final against Czech Republic. He has been absolutely amazing all games he has played and leads the team with 5 points. And the guy isn't even drafted.

I truly agree with Omark. I really like his intensity and heart, a clutch player.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Cherepanov
Omark
Lindgren

Well, Omark has definitely been a big surprise for me, but Lindgren has really only been good in 2 out of 5 games. He was pretty phenomenal against the Swiss, though...

Cherepanov has been a bit lucky, but he's also looking like one of the smarter Russian prospects out there. Definitely a stud especially considering his age.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Well, Omark has definitely been a big surprise for me, but Lindgren has really only been good in 2 out of 5 games.

Interesting opinion when talking about Team Finland´s superiorly best center forward (only one who was able to create opportunities against every opponent). Other centers were actually more or less below mediocre in the offensive zone. He was forced to contribute heavily on penalty killing as well and did well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad