WJC Studs/Disappointments

xalcyx

#murderskate
Mar 8, 2006
Florida
Use this thread to discuss which players are pleasant surprises or big disappointments at the WJC. This will help fans such as myself to track the progress of the players, even though we can't watch the games.

The players can be from any country, drafted, or undrafted.

So, who's made some strides after day 1? :dunno:

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
The German goalie looked very impressive...... not sure how to spell his name, Steffan Eesteen..... thats a guess. Anyone know how to spell it?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I don't think Downie played all that great. In the offensive zone, he made some poor choices.

I'd also have to say Tukka Rask. Pegged as one of the best goaltenders going into the tournament, and letting in 4 goals on 11 shots (I believe) is no good. And against Belarus to boot.

I'm sure both players will snap out of their funk, but that's just how I saw it after the first day.

kovalev27hf

Aug 3, 2005
nyc
I don't think Downie played all that great. In the offensive zone, he made some poor choices.

I'd also have to say Tukka Rask. Pegged as one of the best goaltenders going into the tournament, and letting in 4 goals on 11 shots (I believe) is no good. And against Belarus to boot.

I'm sure both players will snap out of their funk, but that's just how I saw it after the first day.

if downie would shut his mouth for 5 seconds he may realize he's got more time to play hockey

Duff88

May 7, 2002
I haven't seen any other game than the Canada-Sweden one so far, but obviously you have to be curious about the performances from the german goaltender Stefaniszin and 17-years-old Stefanovich from Belarus. Cherepanov is another guy who intrigues me; could he be a top 5 draft pick?

Otherwise, O'Mark was pretty impressive in the Canada-Sweden game as he was one of the only swedes who created anything offensively. I had a hard time following who was who though as I didn't have the rosters, didn't know the jersey numbers and could barely see them and the commentator was pretty bad so it was a huge effort just to see who was making the plays. Others who were impressive during the game are Price, Franson, Marchand, Staal, Zackrisson and Bäckström. I'd like to see Toews and Gagner give more though.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I've only seen Canada-Sweden, and its only one game so its a bit early.

But Marc Staal really stood out late in that game, and made 4-5 great defensive plays earlier in the game.

For me its impress as hell to see someone dominate like that against Bäckström.

Staal will be a man among boys in this tournament. There are many good D's out there, but wouldn't at all be suprised if Parant-Staal weren't on for a goal against the entire tournament.

wildone26*

Bourdon and Carey Price impressed me tons in the first game. They were rock solid. Toews was already creating scoring chances.

Sam Gagner impressed me zero in the first game. Even without that much ice time(or so it seemed)he still manages to take 3 penalties, he looked like a kid struggling with nerves and the competition level. I was high on seeing what he could do when he beat the older Esposito and Tavares as well for a spot on the team but he showed nothing IMO.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It may have to do with draft rank and expectations, but I'm totally not impressed by Toews as of yet, including pre-tournament games.

I still can't believe they didn't think a guy like Giroux would not have helped them offensively.

Surprises for me, are the German opposition (ie the goalie) (though it could change really quickly see Belarus....), Cogliano (just a fan of his game), Price (cause he still has to battle some inconsistency problems, usually giving a softie a game which he didn't.)

But offensively we're definately not that great, defense is the key for us, hoping Price could a great consistent tournament.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Stephanovitch and Steffanisin for the surprises

Rask for disappointment (so far, only one game...).

Haven't been very impressed by Backstrom, too.

HockeyScholar

Sep 9, 2006
The Canadians that impressed me were Price, Bourdon, Staal, and Cliche. I really like the penalty killing unit of Cliche and Helm. A lot of speed.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
patrick kane has some sick skills. taylor chorney and jeff zatkoff really impressed me, as well.

Jack Johnson and Peter Mueller need to use their teammates more. Liked what I saw from Gerbe and Van Riemsdyk, seriously underwhelmed by Abdelkader and Carman.

Also...really flew under the radar...Sean Zimmerman. A lot of people questioned his inclusion on the team, and he looked like a rock on the back end.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Linus Omark. Though I've seen him in the SEL numerous times this season along with Martin Chabada and Fredrik Hynning, he kept impress me. He's so slick, and even though he's rather smallish he doesn't shy away from physical play at all.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I wonder where the last name originates. Russia?
It's kinda hard to pronounce, at least I have problems saying it fast 5 times. ;)

Same here. He had another good game against Slovakia though. 29 saves on 31 shots, I think.

I don't know where his last name originates, but he was born in Berlin.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Jack Johnson has really disappointed me so far, I expected him to be the best defenceman in the tournament but he's shown some very questionable hockey sense so far (that pinch in the first period against Canada was pretty terrible). Granted some of the penalties he's taken wouldn't be called in the NHL but he needs to show some better judgement.

Billy Sweatt from the Americans is a guy who has really surprised me, he's always moving his legs out on the ice and making things happen. I'm not sure if he has much in the way of scoring potential but he looks like a very solid player overall.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
To say who has been a stud/dissapointment this early in the tournament is premature imho.

But anyway the positive performers so far:

-Germany's goalie Stefanision.
-Stefanovich of Belarus.
-Berglund from Sweden.
-Joel Gistedt. This guy is my darkhorse candidate for goalie of the tournament. He's been mighty impressive in the Swedish Elitserien and he supplanted former nhl veteran Tommy Salo as the number one for Frölunda.

Disappointments:

-Niklas Backstorm was supposed to be a dominant force, but he's still pointless in three games including the exhibition ones. He's made some nice plays but not as much as I expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->