WJC stats

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
Wow, the battle for the best goaltender of the tournement will be long...I guess it will be between Price and Varlamov...

Battle of the best goalie or best team in front of the goalie? Another case od which came first the chicken or the egg? If Rask plays for Russia and Varlamov for Finland does Varlamov still get a shutout?

Joretus

Battle of the best goalie or best team in front of the goalie? Another case od which came first the chicken or the egg? If Rask plays for Russia and Varlamov for Finland does Varlamov still get a shutout?

Yeah, it's quite weird that ie. Varlamov&Price haven't yet tested at all and still they would be so obvious batling alone.

Kaktus*

Nice... If Carey Price plays for Slovaks... Hmmm?

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki

They're in habit of awarding players in the better teams. Laakso was clearly the top scoring defenseman in the U18 WJC in 2004 and Tukonen, Nokelainen and Korpikoski all tied Roman Voloshenko for the scoring lead (all with 5+6, Korpikoski and Tukonen had the best +/-), yet none of these Finns were awarded, because Finland didn't advance to the QF/SF phase and played for relegation and thus got to score against the so called weaker teams (Laakso got 1+3 out of his 2+4 against Belarus... I still think it's a good performance from him anyway since Finland scored 5 goals in that game... being in on 4 out of 5 is pretty good, no matter who it's against, especially if you're an underager in the first place... he first scored his other 1+1 against Norway in Finlands 9-0 win ;)).

This goes for goalies as well to some degree... playing for relegation you clearly don't have to face as many good shots as you do playing against the top teams. This is all relative, of course, and everyone can have their opinion and I can see it from both sides...

Last edited:

Joretus

Since it's stats I'll post something about scoring. As it seems now when all teams(except Canada&Russia) have played same amount of games Finland is having at least something nice showing. Finland is having top two in scoring. Lindgren&Lehtonen with 10points. Lindgren should actually have 11p, but somehow they never gave him point of Osala's first goal against yankees. Anyway, good showing of them both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->