WJC SF1: Jan 3 GDT - Canada vs. Czech Republic (7-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Cyclops II said:
Exactly what is wrong with the NHL. Hitting is not hockey. Watch games from the 1950's and 60's. There were very few bodychecks and I doubt there were any as hard as Phaneuf's. Hits as hard as Phaneuf's should not be allowed in hockey. And any hit to the head should be a 10 game suspension. The problem with hockey today is there is no respect for other players.

Ah, go back to your (Euro) football. Thanks.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Cyclops II said:
Exactly what is wrong with the NHL. Hitting is not hockey. Watch games from the 1950's and 60's. There were very few bodychecks and I doubt there were any as hard as Phaneuf's. Hits as hard as Phaneuf's should not be allowed in hockey. And any hit to the head should be a 10 game suspension. The problem with hockey today is there is no respect for other players.

Newsflash.

It's 2004.

The game has evolved just a touch from fifty years ago, summed up in three words:

Bigger, Faster, Stronger.

endacka

Mar 7, 2002
Paris
Visit site
In my opinion, when there is allowed a hit, that causes injuries that send players home for six months, its wrong. Those kind of playes should be penalized, so that the players are protected.

BCCHL inactive

endacka said:
In my opinion, when there is allowed a hit, that causes injuries that send players home for six months, its wrong. Those kind of playes should be penalized, so that the players are protected.

By this logic, we should penalize bodychecking period, because any hit can cause that kind of injury. Hell, why stop there....lets ban slapshots too. I've seen many broken feet and ankles that send players home for a long time.

Lets use our common sense here please.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
endacka said:
24:10 in shot category after the 2nd. Not a good game. Are the Canadians playing so physically or we are just unable to pass the puck?

Honestly, 5 on 5 the Czechs have been completely outclassed. They have been on their heels the entire game at even strength. If it hadn't for powerplays, the Czechs would probably have (*maybe*) 5 shots.

The Czechs look good on paper but, on the ice, seem out of their league.

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Cyclops II said:

I think it is you that needs to watch games from the 50's and 60's. There were TONS of bodychecks, in fact it was an art form. There was rarely a guy in the entire league that couldnt play the body with a lot of gumption.

I dont know how you can say that Phaneufs with was a "lack of respect" on his part either. He COULD of lead with an elbow...but didnt. He hit a player with his head down and did it the right way...with his shoulder. Its how the damn game is played fer chrissakes.

Dont like it? Go watch Ringette.

Les Zarbites

Cyclops II said:
Hits as hard as Phaneuf's should not be allowed in hockey.

What should be the "hardness" limit ? And how are we supposed to detect which hit is too "hard" ?

This is hockey and players hit themselves. This has nothing to do with respect.

What you're suggesting is basically to take body checks out of the game.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Van said:
By this logic, we should penalize bodychecking period, because any hit can cause that kind of injury. Hell, why stop there....lets ban slapshots too. I've seen many broken feet and ankles that send players home for a long time.

How about banning hockey sticks too? ;)

All those high sticks, tripping, slashing, hooking etc. penalities have been responsible for countless injuries.

5-1. Game over.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
willie said:
How about banning hockey stick too? ;)

All those high sticks, tripping, slashing, hooking etc. penalities have been responsible for countless injuries.

5-1. Game over.

But then they wont be able to score...hence we must judge them on their jerseys and skating ability...

...wait...

That's figure skating...

endacka

Mar 7, 2002
Paris
Visit site
Van said:

Look, in the europian leagues there is way less hitting(caused by larger rink as well) and way less injuries due to it, because you are not allowed to hit a guy, for example close to the boards. You cant use elbows. Its incredible how many elbows you see in opponents faces in the NHL, something should be done about it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Wheels coming off the wagon now. I've been very impressed with Canada's play this game. Physically dominant, and very opportunistic. On the other hand, the Czechs haven't impressed me at all. Schwartz has been good at times, but has let in some very weak (IMO) goals, and the team as a whole can't generate any offense. They had a chance at 2-1, and also when they had a 5 min PP, but couldn't capitalize. Now it's just wait and see who wins the U.S./Finland match-up.

GoRyanMalone

Aaron Vickers said:
But then they wont be able to score...hence we must judge them on their jerseys and skating ability...

...wait...

That's figure skating...

inticing

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
endacka said:
Look, in the europian leagues there is way less hitting(caused by larger rink as well) and way less injuries due to it, because you are not allowed to hit a guy, for example close to the boards. You cant use elbows. Its incredible how many elbows you see in opponents faces in the NHL, something should be done about it.

Elbowing might happen in the NHL but it isn't legal.

6-1.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
6-1... The CZE are playing SO BAD.... With an ease never seen before, Getzlaf just scored....

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
punchy1 said:
Kanko has been a solid player though. Anyone else think he has done alright?

He has been rather invisible. It's been a dissapointing tourney for Kings prospects as neither Kanko nor Tambellini have been particularly impressive. (I haven't seen Murray yet)

7-1.

BCCHL inactive

endacka said:

Elbowing isn't allowed in the NHL. The hockey over here is a rough and tough style....not a "please don't hit me" style.

Which style do you think is better? Look at the score of this game...the tougher style is kicking the weaker style's ass.

It's 7-1 now, and it could be 10-1 by the end of the game at this pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->