WJC - Russia 2017

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Thanks. Still plenty of offense spread out among the top three lines. And one energy line.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
I have no idea what tournaments you are talking about where Crosby didn't stand alone as the best player. He certainly was the best in the 2010 and 2014 Olympics, the 2015 WC, and the 2016 World Cup, he literally stood alone at the top. That is also true of the 2005 WJC, although any competition would have come from Ovechkin and Malkin, not a Canadian. Lindros was probably more hyped, but he didn't even come close to achieving what Crosby has, and as leader, he was more divisive and selfish than any more favorable judgment.

...to echo Mr Writer's comments, Crosby was far from dominant at the WJC's at 16. He was one of our top players as a 17 year old on our 2005 WJ Dream Team , playing on a line with Corey Perry and Patrice Bergeron, but there is no doubt that tourney MVP Bergeron outshone him in Grand Forks North Dakota...

Incidentally, Bergeron was only 18, at the time, had already cracked Boston Bruin's lineup, and had already won Gold as a member of Canada's WC Men's team...But for the NHL lockout Bergeron, and several others, would never have been available for 2005 WJC's

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Karnaukhov is good enough. He's almost ppg in the VHL.
Trenin has nice hands and playmaking ability but he's really slow.

He has good stats in the VHL, but he has has not looked good. He is at best a grinder with an ok shot(plays like a Canadian guy). The struggle is real for him when it comes to moving the puck, skating with the puck, passing etc, very limited.

The Urakov-Trenin-Alexeyev unit struggled even against the Latvian team, terrible passing couldn't muster any offense. Trenin has gone down hill since his draft year, yes slow and those other capabilities you mentioned are far from elite at the U20 level. Against Canada this line mine as well not even dress.

The thing about the games verses the crappy teams are, yes they show you who can really score for you but more importantly if you watch close, who is really bad for you. Did a good job of that yesterday.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
...to echo Mr Writer's comments, Crosby was far from dominant at the WJC's at 16. He was one of our top players as a 17 year old on our 2005 WJ Dream Team , playing on a line with Corey Perry and Patrice Bergeron, but there is no doubt that tourney MVP Bergeron outshone him in Grand Forks North Dakota...

Incidentally, Bergeron was only 18, at the time, had already cracked Boston Bruin's lineup, and had already won Gold as a member of Canada's WC Men's team...But for the NHL lockout Bergeron, and several others, would never have been available for 2005 WJC's

As I said, my goal is not to pump Crosby up for some undeserved acclaim. I could care less, other than just to give him credit for being, as I perceived, the dominant catalyst of recent Canadian Olympic, World Cup and even World Championship successes. I give no credence to the argument that Crosby was merely being propped up by Jeff Carter or Corey Perry or Patrice Bergeron. They are not generational talents, as I believe Crosby to be, but instead replaceable goal scoring parts who have periodic hot and cold streaks, but lack the talent or capacity to lift their teams up and drive them to achievement.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
This team can still do well in part due to the uncertainties surrounding the other top teams. Next few years forward roster should be very dangerous. If Bragin coaches again it will mostly 98s though my understanding is that 99 is better. Anyways this years tournament is not done.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
'98 looks mediocre, especially if Sergachev plays a full season in NHL. Some new guys can breakout before then of course, but I definitely think that several '99 guys and Svechnikov can challenge for spots.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
'98 looks mediocre, especially if Sergachev plays a full season in NHL. Some new guys can breakout before then of course, but I definitely think that several '99 guys and Svechnikov can challenge for spots.

'98 didn't get the WJC-18 exposure last year. Wait a year. I think they could do well at the WJC-20 next year.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

This tournament is still ongoing but next year holds more intrigue as I like the forwards alot better than this years team :

Abramov-Rubtsov-Sokolov
Popugayev-Shvyryov-Svechnikov
Kayumov-Lipanov-Kostin
Maltsev-Chekhovich-Kosorenkov
Alexeyev

That's a ton of firepower.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
This tournament is still ongoing but next year holds more intrigue as I like the forwards alot better than this years team :

Abramov-Rubtsov-Sokolov
Popugayev-Shvyryov-Svechnikov
Kayumov-Lipanov-Kostin
Maltsev-Chekhovich-Kosorenkov
Alexeyev

That's a ton of firepower.

I agree but you know Bragin will have his own ideas, bet you half those guys wont be there .

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I agree but you know Bragin will have his own ideas, bet you half those guys wont be there .

Bragin has done some solid work over the years, but I am tired of this mucking style, his unwillingness to form special teams and his tendency to roll four lines.

His teams also get outshot too much. They are too offensively conservative. I just can't watch anymore.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Bragin has done some solid work over the years, but I am tired of this mucking style, his unwillingness to form special teams and his tendency to roll four lines.

His teams also get outshot too much. They are too offensively conservative. I just can't watch anymore.

I don't blame Bragin. The players just aren't there. You can't win, or probably even medal, with this lineup on a small rink. Too many shrimps, too easy to take the area around the goal away from them. One of the best defenseman is Voronkov, but he is slow and small, and has to play too cautiously, which makes it easy to manhandle him down low. Too few D men who can skate and handle the puck well enough to beat the forecheck, which is killing them right now. You could argue about whether he should have selected this guy or that guy, which is tempting when things go bad, but there are just no breakthrough guys that can lead them to glory. A good outcome is still possible, but I have to say that I can't see how they could do it.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
"Too many shrimps" - which is why I am baffled by the absences of Mityakin and Chebykin.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Russia still has a lot of talent in the 1997-98 age group. The problem is that much of that talent (think Abramov, Korostelev, even Sergachev who is here) left the country and adopted a style of game that does not fit with what the national team is doing. I don't want to go full-Peter with this, but it's as if these guys lose brain cells.

I think this is hurting us the most. Almost every year, with a few notable exceptions, the CHLers fail on the national stage. They either fail at camp, or fail with the club. Now we have to watch Kvartalnov center the second line.

So yes, Yak. You are right about Bragin. I blame him, but it's not really about him.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
"Too many shrimps" - which is why I am baffled by the absences of Mityakin and Chebykin.

I agree. I didn't get why they were left off. Two of the best players for Russia so far have been Trenin (I love to see him crashing the net and creating chaos there) and Vorobyov, although he had a horrendous giveaway today that resulted in a breakaway.

I don't mean to imply that Bragin should escape criticism when he screws up. When he screws up with player selection, one of his most important duties, he should be criticized for it. He still hasn't created a breakout play that clears the zone under heavy forechecking, and if he doesn't, then he will be at fault for any team failures. If the team doesn't have a good result this year, it won't do his career a bit of good.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Russia still has a lot of talent in the 1997-98 age group. The problem is that much of that talent (think Abramov, Korostelev, even Sergachev who is here) left the country and adopted a style of game that does not fit with what the national team is doing. I don't want to go full-Peter with this, but it's as if these guys lose brain cells.

I think this is hurting us the most. Almost every year, with a few notable exceptions, the CHLers fail on the national stage. They either fail at camp, or fail with the club. Now we have to watch Kvartalnov center the second line.

So yes, Yak. You are right about Bragin. I blame him, but it's not really about him.

These CHL forwards I believe would create more offence , they might play differently but they are used to NA rinks and still have alot of the talent from before they left. Kaprizov setting up Korostelev and Abramov with Sokolov would be something. Imo they wouldn't do worse, very likely better as the tournament goes along.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I don't want to play the 'what if' game too much. I understand why Bragin left them off.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
These CHL forwards I believe would create more offence , they might play differently but they are used to NA rinks and still have alot of the talent from before they left. Kaprizov setting up Korostelev and Abramov with Sokolov would be something. Imo they wouldn't do worse, very likely better as the tournament goes along.

They had the chance to show what they could do in the Canada-Russia series. They didn't show well. They are at a disadvantage in that the coaching staff rarely gets to see them play. So when the chance is there, they have to produce. None of those guys are the missing element in this tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad