WJC QF2: Jan 2 GDT - Finland vs. Russia (4-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
CSKA said:
im a hockey fan ! A BIG HOCKEY FAN and i love my country team Russia ! THATS WHY I SCREAM SHAIBU !

And more power to you!! If a post on an Internet chat site matters, we are all in a lot of trouble.

What does Shaibu mean again?

Sundried TOmato

Oct 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I saw the future, and the future was not kind to team Russia........... :teach:
Good prediction on the game. Wrong prediction on the future. :p. Russian program is stronger than ever. Just look at the current crop of very young Russian NHL-ers (Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Frolov, Chistov, Volchenkov), and the kids coming up - Ovechkin and Malkin. The system is like a well-oiled machine now, except one thing - team selection. It's still political and not always fair.

Lord

Once again read my friend's, who watched the game on TV, opinion after the game. He has no doubt that canadian referee killed us. It was 3-2 when Semin was obviously illegaly thrown down on the ice trying to make a breakway. Second after finnish counterattack and 3-3. And no penalty for Finnish player with five minutes to go in the last period for checking from behind. I know its the last thing to blame referees, but home team always get support from them. :dunno:
The decisive goal was Barulin's brutal fault.
Anyway Hannu Aravirta is a great coach and he did a really good job to lift his still mediocre, IMO, team so far. A very good coach and nice man to speak about hockey. Used to talk with him once. Year, it was great.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
slats432 said:
Aside from everyone else, I don't think there is anything wrong with cheering on your team.
smilie_flagge17.gif

I agree. I've enjoyed your enthusiasm CSKA.

Utopia

Dr_Chimera said:
You saw it? Please describe it.

Filppula with a slow 'shot' just after he had crossed the blueline, between two russian defenders sticks (I don't think the puck hit anything) to the left upper corner. No screen really, the goalie should have had that.

When he was interviewed he admitted it was a lucky goal

Dr_Chimera*

gb701 said:
You guys have run a great thread - fun to follow along although I thought the good Dr. was a bit harsh in wishing the team good riddance! Too bad we don't get to see the Russian team at all through the tournament.

With the talent they brought, Russia has to be the biggest disappointment and surprise of the tournament. Little to be proud of.

Final question - did Ovechkin really show his stuff? I noticed that there is no question he "showed up" or about his effort, but for the number 1 pick coming up, did he meet expectations?

- I don't think I was harsh. I will always be a fan, but I will flame them forever if they suck. Because I can - I'm a Russia fan and I'm allowed.:)

- Ovechkin: well, you can't say either way. The team lost early, but he did ok for when they played. He couldn't carry them, but I doubt any captain can stop a shipwreck at half-way point. Kovalchuk, some might remember, played for the horrible Russian 2001 team and one wouldn't call that a great tourney for him, of course, but he did ok.

When your team sucks, it's hard to look good.

Dr_Chimera*

Sundried TOmato said:
Good prediction on the game. Wrong prediction on the future. :p. Russian program is stronger than ever. Just look at the current crop of very young Russian NHL-ers (Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Frolov, Chistov, Volchenkov), and the kids coming up - Ovechkin and Malkin. The system is like a well-oiled machine now, except one thing - team selection. It's still political and not always fair.

No one doubts that, I don't think, but this year was a bit of a downer for the WJC eligible players. Especially on the blueline. Next year should be better, especially if there's an NHL strike, so then maybe Ovechkin can help Russia take it's revenge.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
gb701 said:
And more power to you!! If a post on an Internet chat site matters, we are all in a lot of trouble.

What does Shaibu mean again?

Shaibu = puck

Shaibu ! Shaibu ! Shaibu ! it means = we want a goal :D

greeting from a bad russian :D :D :D

finzup77r

Apr 9, 2003
Boston
Visit site
Flonaldo said:
MAZ! Early on Marjamäki just destroyed the Russians with brutal hits. Then two pretty important equalizers. A blinder by Masi! Go MAZ!
How did Masi look, the Bruins drafted him in the 3rd round, I saw him play against Canada he looked Ok, and he hadn't scored until his two today

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Soft goal, but Finland deserved to win.

The goalie seemed very scared in the last minute....and the weird shot from Filppula either curved a bit or dropped somehow....it was going straight towards the goalies head, he probably thought it was going over the goal.

Referee just closed the book in last 10 minutes. I guess that was a good thing, because he sucked when he was refereeing.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Dr_Chimera said:
- I don't think I was harsh. I will always be a fan, but I will flame them forever if they suck. Because I can - I'm a Russia fan and I'm allowed.:)

Good answer - I was just tweaking your chain a bit and did not mean anything other than a bit of fun! :rolly:

On Ovechkin, I agree with you that one player can't carry a bad team or singlehandedly stop the shipwreck, but in a tourney like this, in a one goal game, the big guys have to step up. This was not supposed to be a bad team (and probably wasn't) but it certainly underperformed. He has to take some of the blame.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
CSKA said:
Shaibu = puck

Shaibu ! Shaibu ! Shaibu ! it means = we want a goal :D

greeting from a bad russian :D :D :D

Shaibu is a GREAT cheer! :handclap:

Happy New Year to a great fan! Where are you, anyway?

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
CSKA said:
hey Happy New Year for you......thanx ! i am at home and bear the defeat :cry:

Sorry - I should have been more clear - what city is your home in? I am wondering where you are that you are such a fan for Russia?

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
gb701 said:
Sorry - I should have been more clear - what city is your home in? I am wondering where you are that you are such a fan for Russia?

I live in Germany however im a russian(born in russia) :rolly: :D

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
It was a great game. Pretty much everything what is in a great hockey game but like I said earlier; The Russians have better individuals but Finnish plays more like a team. That settled it tonight. Team Finland played more as a team and they wanted to win more than the Team Russia.

The last goal was definetly a lucky one. Any goalie shoud take shots like that but tonight luck was on our side. At the end of the game they showed Barulin crying which is understandable. I feel sorry for him but at the same time I feel very good after this battle win.

Loistavaa pikku leijonat!

jj_fin

Dec 31, 2002
Oulu, Finland
Visit site
Lord:
He has no doubt that canadian referee killed us. It was 3-2 when Semin was obviously illegaly thrown down on the ice trying to make a breakway. Second after finnish counterattack and 3-3. And no penalty for Finnish player with five minutes to go in the last period for checking from behind. I know its the last thing to blame referees, but home team always get support from them.

HAHAHAH. The Canadian ref killed us, yeah right. Yeah ok, Semin got 'illegaly thrown down on the ice' by Varakas (the ref saw this very well... by the way), who then passed to Lepistö and his ownage pass found Marjamäki (I love this guy) who tied it up. But did you see Russia's 3-2 goal? Thought so. Finland had a few secs left on the power play and some guy tripped Immonen at the boards near the blueline in the Russian zone (the ref saw this very well too, by the way.) and Russia got a counter attack and scored.

So let's just say that the Canadian ref killed us both, we're even, right?

And the ref let the players do just about anything in the last 10 mins, but I didn't see a check from behind. I saw Bergeinheim getting tripped at the slot, though, but whatever.

This and that:

Filppula was really impressive, as always. Our best center prospect at the moment and he will prolly be the Rookie of the Year in the SM-liiga too. And this is coming from a Kärpät fan. Marjamäki was awesome. Just awesome. He completely destroyed a few Russian players in the first and scored two goals. Bergeinheim on the other hand has been a huge dissapointment, he should start scoring soon. Petrell missed a few 2 on 1's and a breakaway and he set up Russias second goal. I will be shocked if Lepistö doesn't get drafted next summer. A solid all-around d-man who can shoot really good one-timers.

I thought that Ovechkin would dominate, but he didn't. He played a decent game though, but all the hype... the goal that he scored was impressive, he was surrounded by four Finns and still managed to get a decent shot in. Malkin can pass the puck really well, but that's all that he did offensively today. Anshakov was really good and is a great prospect for the Pens. A true sniper who can also set up goals. The Straka-trade doesn't look bad at all now. If I saw right, the Russian goalie was crying after the game. Of course it was a very soft goal but...you can't blame it on him.

I believe that we won USA in a practice match just before the tournament started...so we might have a small chance, but we need some players to step up (read: BERGENHEIM). We'll see.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Whew. What a battle! I think it was a very close game, Russian's skill vs. Finn's team play and this time team Finland was the luckier side. Filppula intercepted a pass in the neutral zone, the puck was bouncing and rolling like a wild animal, he tried to control it but couldn't so he released a shot behind the blue line that, by some miracle, happened to go in.

The refereeing was horrible and both teams suffered because of it but other than that, a great hockey game. No one really stood out, it was clearly a team effort. Thank you boys! :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad