WJC QF: Jan 2 GDT - Sweden 5 Czech Republic 1

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
They just said in Swedish TV they released the tickets for the next JWC in Canada in 3 years or so. 80% of the tickets are already sold for the entire tournament and we're not just talking about Canada's games. That's insane, 380k of tickets before the end of january is expected.

This game is about over, solid effort by Sweden, good game by Omark, Johansson, Bäckström, Enroth among others. Send home the ref.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
standing ovation for the Swedish team. Very well-deserved! Finally.. in the semifinal again :)

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
!!!

Was a bit worried before the game, but they did good. The Czech didn't get a whole lot of good chances, especially not after the first, and especially not even strength.

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Well, the only thing competitive with this game turned out to be how bad the ref could be - pretty bad I guess... :cry:

Anyone else who noticed the black and white flag with "PRAO" written on top? :D

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sweden opened up a can I see. Good to see that it looks like the Swedish Junior system looks to be back on track. It was rough for a while there, but it seems as if Sweden is back.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Pretty boring game. Sweden were clearly the stronger team 5-on-5 and won without much trouble. It seems like Group A > Group B.

The ref was lousy.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Keep in mind that the WJHCs arent nearly as big a deal in Europe as they are here.

There is a reason why this tournament is guaranteed to a Canadian host every three years.

You are right. But the interest in Europe is rapidly increasing.

Also, personally I think that the WJHC should have been played in Gothenburg or Stockholm instead of Leksand/Mora.

The hockey interest and knowledge in Leksand is truly genuine and it's a classical hockey town in Sweden but it's simply to small.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Reflections:

Bäckström: Plays another "solid" game. He is setting up his teammates very well, and create some chances, but again, he doesn't shoot enough himself. Will be nice if his linesmen begins to score, against Russia we have to elevate his plays, otherwise, where gonna bust totally.

Enroth: Looked very solid. I want him to start next game.

Bendelin: Keeps playing Ribbenstrand... Seriously, i can't imagine Ribbenstrand to handle forwards like Cherapanov. I would be very pleased if he is on the ice as little as possible.

Bad ref, again.

Im hoping that they can sellout the building tomorrow, they will need the support if they are going to beat Russia.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
You are right. But the interest in Europe is rapidly increasing.

Also, personally I think that the WJHC should have been played in Gothenburg or Stockholm instead of Leksand/Mora.

The hockey interest and knowledge in Leksand is truly genuine and it's a classical hockey town in Sweden but it's simply to small.

Stockholm? Good lord, they shouldn't be allowed to have Sweden Hockey Games, much less a real competition. How fun would it be to have 11.000 empty seats in Globen?

I'd love to see a WJC in Småland (Jönköping, Växjö, Oskarshamn etc.) or Östergötland (Norrköping, Linköping). Those regions have decent hockey traditions and are fairly densly populated. Maybe next time?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
He's been a disappointment to me at least.
Looks out of place and/or shape. Sometimes he shows off a glimpse of the talent and skill he has, but he's no way near that good he should be.

Thanks. Has he been given the opportunity at least? I know he was benched, but hopefully he is still given the opportunity to break out of his slump.

Macman

May 15, 2004
They just said in Swedish TV they released the tickets for the next JWC in Canada in 3 years or so. 80% of the tickets are already sold for the entire tournament and we're not just talking about Canada's games. That's insane, 380k of tickets before the end of january is expected.

That's amazing. It's impossible to overstate how big the WJC is in Canada. It's huge, right up there with the Olympics and World Cup. In Halifax in 2003, they decided to add an extra game in the relegation round. I forget who was playing, but it was Germany and Belarus, something like that, and the game drew 7,000 people in the middle of a snowstorm.

Last edited:

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
Thanks. Has he been given the opportunity at least? I know he was benched, but hopefully he is still given the opportunity to break out of his slump.

He has gotten some time, and imo, he has definately been playing much better these last two games. Not dominating by any means but he shows that he wants and should be there. The problem for him(and his line mates) is that neither goes directly on goal, but skates around the rink sides which isn't very effective.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Stockholm? Good lord, they shouldn't be allowed to have Sweden Hockey Games, much less a real competition. How fun would it be to have 11.000 empty seats in Globen?

I'd love to see a WJC in Småland (Jönköping, Växjö, Oskarshamn etc.) or Östergötland (Norrköping, Linköping). Those regions have decent hockey traditions and are fairly densly populated. Maybe next time?

How about Gothenburg and Jönköping? Gothenburg could host the event by them self since we have two arenas which are bigger then the ones in Leksand/Mora.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
How has Frolik looked? I've been really disappointed with him so far, i expected alot more.

Not only was he a total non-factor and made some very poor decisions, he was diving. How this guy was a first round pick is beyond me. I just can't see him as a skilled NHL player. I've been watching him in tournaments for four years now and he just hasn't improved. He was the same player (with less ice time) three years ago in Grand Forks. People say he has some kind of offensive upside but his skill level has never struck me as high. He doesn't have any different skill that dozens of other kids in his age group have. If he makes the NHL as an offensive player I'll be surprized.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
That's what's so difficult with prospects. Boom, they're great players after 3 months. Bang, they suck they haven't developed in 2 years.

Bäckström, which everyone talk about, was nothing spectacular when he was around 16 (from what I've heard). Then he exploded. Great junior season, moved to the 4th line A team in SEL, then first line, then the national team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->