WJC QF: Jan 2 GDT - Finland 3 vs. USA 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SChan*

USA wins. They got a huge break by just making it to playoffs.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Finland has to bounce back and I am expecting them to. Even if they already met my original expectations by just making the QF phase...

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
If Finland wants this game its theres for the taking but for some reason i think US wins 3-2

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
If the Finns exceptionally manage to stay away from the penalty box, they can win I think.

But I'm rather pessimistic due to their undisciplined play, so unfortunately USA wins.

Joretus

how have lehtonen and joensuu looked so far?

Lehtonen have been 2nd best forward when it comes to making chances, etc. Joensuu have been quite bad. Nothing close to Lehtonen, Lindgren or Osala. He could blame his bad line as well, but generally he have been very poor compared what were expectations.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Lehtonen have been 2nd best forward when it comes to making chances

Lehtonen has surprisingly good speed and hands for a guy of his size and his biggest flaw is his selfishness in some situations (and blind passes... I hate those). Also, his physical game is not what it used to be now that he's trying to be more like a skill player (not really a flaw, just not what he used to be).

Joensuu is a huge disappointment, but then again it's nothing new in these international tournaments so I guess we should just stop expecting anything from him... He just had such a good season in the SM-liiga that my expectations rose again...

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
It's still hard for me to understand, Mora is the bigger town and their team plays in the Elitserien while Leksand I think plays in the Allsvenskan (not sure) yet they have the much better arena (couldn't even fit my feet in the seats in Mora... the rows are too close to each other...).

They must have really good sponsors in Leksand...

Kaktus*

If Finland bring their best game USA will be out. USA team was nothing special in this WJC.
I hope both teams are tired in the end. :D

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Counting out a NA team when it's playoff time is the most stupid thing you can do. I actually think this talented team USA will step up a notch, they've been struggling with their team play in the previous games, but against Sweden with the knife against the throat, they stepped up. Choking against trap-Germany is understandable.

However, Finland has a hard working team as usual. I think it's a pretty open affair. I put my money on USA though, who I count as favourites.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
It's still hard for me to understand, Mora is the bigger town and their team plays in the Elitserien while Leksand I think plays in the Allsvenskan (not sure) yet they have the much better arena (couldn't even fit my feet in the seats in Mora... the rows are too close to each other...).

They must have really good sponsors in Leksand...

Leksand built the arena when they were still supposed to be playing in the SEL... then got demoted the first year in the new barn. Mora just upgraded their old Smidjegrav rink to meet SEL standards, no more.

Leksand is a classic SEL franchise, has traditionally been "Sweden's team" with fans all over the country (that may change with their recent struggles). In the 70s there were two teams of significance in the league - Leksand and Brynas. A great rivalry. Mora has no such history, yet.

Mora on the other hand haven't been up in the SEL ranks since the 60s, until the past seasons. Pyramid systems suck, eh? New 14 million Euro barn in Leksand, then you have to play no name clubs like Vaxjo, Arboga and Oskarshamn in it... sheesh. Over the past seasons they've been climbing up and falling out of the SEL division periodically, spent a lot of money on expensive pro:s and squandered much of their own junior players... bummer.

Oh, and while Leksand is a backwater hamlet, they effectively were the hockey team of an entire province, meaning their sponsors and investors network and fanbase is much larger than the town itself.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Oh, and while Leksand is a backwater hamlet, they effectively were the hockey team of an entire province, meaning their sponsors and investors network and fanbase is much larger than the town itself.

That makes sense.

One other thing I noticed about these towns (and others on the way there) that no matter how small the towns were they were "nice" or "pretty" (don't know which is the better word). In other countries I've been these smaller (less than 50k population) towns have mostly been real dumps or just plain and boring. Of course there's exceptions, even a lot of them, but still this is the image I have in my head.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site

USA has been disappointing so far, but has an upside only that Canada and Russia can match.. so.. if they step up this game they will win. I also think they got wind in their sales from that OT-winner against Sweden so.. im thinking they will win another OT. 3-2 USA.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Why does that matter?

Because semi-finals and final game will be in Leksand and Canada played and will play all their games in Leksand. When US played in Leskand they broadcasted the game. Why should TSN move all their staff for one game in another city and it's not even Canada's game ? :dunno:

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Because semi-finals and final game will be in Leksand and Canada played and will play all their games in Leksand. When US played in Leskand they broadcasted the game. Why should TSN move all their staff for one game in another city and it's not even Canada's game ? :dunno:

Canada played in Mora against the US, but otherwise you have a point.

game will be broadcasted here but for Finnish IP's only:
http://www.yle.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko/id61589.html

probably, there is valid link after check (right click on the screen -> properties) could someone provide it ? :innocent:

I don't know if that works either, I've tried it before when I was in Germany and it didn't. Anyways, I could probably get the link but I'm still thinking about whether I should because it might slow it down if there's a lot of people watching (it was a pain watching the Olympics) and they might even pull it completely.

EDIT: It doesn't work for me here at work either. I'll try it at home later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->