3. Russia
4. USA
5. Finland
6. Slovakia
7. Czech Republic
8. Austria
9. Switzerland

10. Latvia

THN is crazy, Austrians will be most probably glad if they at least beat Latvia, their team this year is considered weaker than the one that was promoted from Div 1 even by Austrians alone. Switzerland on the other hand with players like Sbisa, Josi, Niederreiter, they might end up in the RR, but I seriously doubt they would have big trouble with Austria/Latvia yet alone lose to one of them.

No1Joker

May 11, 2009
Helsinki
1. Sweden
2. Russia
3. Finland
4. Canada
5. Usa
6. Slovaks
7. Czechs

Yes i have a feeling Canada will loose in semis and are too upset about it and Finland has too much energy to be in medal games and will eventually capture bronze :nod:

Latex*

1. Sweden
2. Russia
3. Finland
4. Canada
5. Usa
6. Slovaks
7. Czechs

Yes i have a feeling Canada will loose in semis and are too upset about it and Finland has too much energy to be in medal games and will eventually capture bronze :nod:

I think you are slightly wrong right there... Finland's team sucks:p:

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
I feel bad for the next Canadian Jr. team who doesn't get gold. No other country would be so upset over a silver:laugh:

I think our team is pretty comparable to last years team we lose two stars but I feel we are a lot deeper. I think we should get better goaltending this year, even if Allen fails, Jones should be able to handle the load. With goaltending of any sort we should win this tournament.

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
1.Switzerland - gold medal
2.Sweden - silver medal
3.Russia - bronze medal

4.Canada
5.Finland
6.Czech Republic
7.Slovakia
8.USA
9.Latvia
10.Austria

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I actually think this year's team is better than last year's team.

A lot of players on last year's team (DiDominco, Ennis, Benn, Esposito and even Kane) had one or two good games but seemed average in the rest of the matches. Up front the team was essentially led by Tavares, Hodgson, Eberle and Boychuk.

I think a more experienced Eberle and the Spitfire line are better than those aforementioned players, whereas the supporting cast is pretty much equal.

playthetrap*

What scares me as a Canadian is the fact that the last time Canada went for a six-peat, they ended up finishing in eighth place!

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Clearly it is a three horse race between Canada, Sweden and Russia with any of them having a chance to win, but in a world junior tournament on home ice Canada is always the favourite. Once again it should be their tournament to lose.

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
Canada - Gold or bust
Sweden - Gold medal game or bust
Russia - Medal or bust
USA - top four or bust, but I wish them success.

Finland - I would have liked to get a look at Pulkkinen, too bad about his wrist.

So is Eberle the player to watch for Canada this year? or will Hall or Kadri step up?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Clearly it is a three horse race between Canada, Sweden and Russia with any of them having a chance to win, but in a world junior tournament on home ice Canada is always the favourite. Once again it should be their tournament to lose.

I don't see it that way at all. This might be one of the more wide open tournaments (on paper) in recent memory. Canada has an advantage with the tourney being on home ice, but there are several countries that will compete for gold. I also wouldn't dismiss the U.S. Not as flashy up front as year's past, but I can guarantee a much better overall team. I'll be surprised if we don't at least get a medal.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
What scares me as a Canadian is the fact that the last time Canada went for a six-peat, they ended up finishing in eighth place!

I was thinking the same thing. As I recall though, that team got hit badly by the flu bug and injuries and were playing in Europe. If this is the year the wheels fall off, they probably won't finish any worse than fourth but they have a big advantage of playing at home. It's hard to imagine them not responding to the large crowds.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Well Canada will win of course.
Russia or the US will take silver.
Sweden has a good team again, but their "role players" lacks size and they have no shut down defenders. Also I think the coach Per MÃ¥rts is a tad over rated and lacks respect for north american hockey which is a definite drawback if you're trying to win on small rinks. Regardless they will choke when the heat is on.

If any team can beat Canada I think it's Russia. They were so damned close last year.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing. As I recall though, that team got hit badly by the flu bug and injuries and were playing in Europe. If this is the year the wheels fall off, they probably won't finish any worse than fourth but they have a big advantage of playing at home. It's hard to imagine them not responding to the large crowds.

Jesse Wallin, their captain got injured I believe in the last game of the round robin game which didn't help the team. They started the tournament with a loss against Finland and then got shutout 3-0 to Sweden. They won their next two games but had to play Russia in the quarter finals which they lost 2-1 in overtime. Some Canadian player hit the post in overtime but I can't remember who. The Vancouver Canucks had four prospects on that team.

It's a short tournament and you never know what can happen especially because they are teenagers.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
This year is a tough one. We are missing tons of eligible guys and Sweden has a great team, including the best goalie in the tournament. So I'll agree we are the favourites, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Markstrom stole the gold medal game.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
I don't see it that way at all. This might be one of the more wide open tournaments (on paper) in recent memory. Canada has an advantage with the tourney being on home ice, but there are several countries that will compete for gold. I also wouldn't dismiss the U.S. Not as flashy up front as year's past, but I can guarantee a much better overall team. I'll be surprised if we don't at least get a medal.

The same thing is said about the U.S. every year and I'll admit I've always believed it. They have always looked good on paper but every year they dissappoint. This years roster is one of the worst on paper so who knows maybe that will be a good thing. There is no excuse that they shouldn't be able to atleast get to the Bronze medal game every year but realistically there is no way you can expect them to beat Canada, Sweden or Russia which would likely be there opponent in a semi-final and a bronze medal game.

Kenobody

Aug 17, 2007
43.88°N 79.3°W
Jesse Wallin, their captain got injured I believe in the last game of the round robin game which didn't help the team. They started the tournament with a loss against Finland and then got shutout 3-0 to Sweden. They won their next two games but had to play Russia in the quarter finals which they lost 2-1 in overtime. Some Canadian player hit the post in overtime but I can't remember who. The Vancouver Canucks had four prospects on that team.
I believe it was Eric Brewer. The Russians counter-attacked on the very next play and scored in OT.

I believe that '98 Canadian team also had some internal issues. I remember reading somewhere (sorry I can't provide the link) something along the lines of the coach benching two players for the USA game because they arrived at practice late and the rest of the team essentially stopped playing for him. I was eleven years old at the time, so perhaps someone more familiar with that tournament can shed some light on the topic.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
I like Sweden. Canada has won this tournament a lot and I find Canadians get cocky on this subject so I am cheering for Sweden and also they haven't won since 81'.

Or you're already used to cheering for Team Sweden, being a Canucks fan and all.

That said, Canada wins this.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So is Eberle the player to watch for Canada this year? or will Hall or Kadri step up?

hall is the better player, but he's also two years younger than eberle.... eberle has 1 WJC tournament under his belt, and that experience should help him tremendously... the biggest problem i see for eberle is the lack of quality linemates... kadri is "so-so" at best... whereas the spitfire line are all pretty good and will obviously have lots of chemistry right off the hop... unless eberle puts up a lot of PP points (which could very well happen), i could easily see hall outscoring him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad