WJC in Sweden a failure?

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
I think I read somewhere the other day that Ticnet (the place for booking tickets to events in Sweden, similar to Ticketmaster) made a boo boo and claimed that unsold tickets were actually sold, so people going to the site thought they were already sold and didn't buy any. Don't know if this only happened once.

But I'm actually surprised too that the only soldout game for Sweden was the opener against Canada, and not the quarter final against the Czechs (the game after which the ticket error was announced), the semi against Russia or the bronze game against the US, the three most important games for Sweden.

SickMonkey

Apr 13, 2005
Ottawa
Sweden's first group stage game, against Canada, was also sold out.

Actually the tournament was a success by European/Swedish standards. Pretty decent tv ratings and more people in the stands than expected.

--------
Remember, junior hockey is not huge in Sweden. If you go to a regular junior game in the top league in Sweden, you will have about 30-60 people watching the game, where 90% of the people are in some way to related to the players on the ice.

What channel was it played on in Sweden? I live in Sweden, but was back in Canada for the holidays, so didn't see the swedish side at all. SVT? 4? One of the cable stations?

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
What channel was it played on in Sweden? I live in Sweden, but was back in Canada for the holidays, so didn't see the swedish side at all. SVT? 4? One of the cable stations?

All of Sweden's games plus the final were broadcasted on SVT24. A channel not everybody have access to, like the two regular public service SVT channels.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Canada is really the only country that gives a damn about the World Juniors on a national level. Most of Europe couldn't care less about junior-level hockey since there aren't dedicated programs for fans to cheer for; most junior club teams are simply offshoots of major club teams.

Well, they should, as the best players leaves for NA once they reach their prime.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Thats the stupidiest thing i have ever heard. The homeice-advantage is HUGE advantage in Canada... Basically all big tournaments played are always on canadian terms... and its already once every third year in JWC too...

Well except WC which is played on more fair ground, but thats a tournament canadians don´t care about so. Canadians haven´t exactly been eager to spread this sport... you are more intrested in keeping it the way it always has been. Which is fun for yourselves, but sad for the sport.

Fair ground? It's just never occurs in North America! And it's not we don't care about WC, it's just... badly schedueled.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
I think Gord and Pierre were right on today when they were wondering why they would ever put an event like this (that struggles a bit in terms of widespread popularity in Europe) in a relatively small town. Surely Stockholm would have been a far better host site. In Canada, the thing will sell out anywhere. In the US, it will sell out in any of the hockey havens like New England or the upper midwest. But in Europe, you need to put it where people are. Don't make fans drive to some out of the way town with a realtively small local population.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
I think Gord and Pierre were right on today when they were wondering why they would ever put an event like this (that struggles a bit in terms of widespread popularity in Europe) in a relatively small town. Surely Stockholm would have been a far better host site. In Canada, the thing will sell out anywhere. In the US, it will sell out in any of the hockey havens like New England or the upper midwest. But in Europe, you need to put it where people are. Don't make fans drive to some out of the way town with a realtively small local population.

Not sure about Stockholm but Gothenburg would have been a good choice, Frölunda always draws a good crowd and it has a decent population around the city as well.

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås

Mainly because people in stockholm couldn't give a damn about hockey, and those people that want to see the games would still have to drive there. Leksand is a classic hockey area where most people know and like hockey. I doubt that the attendence would have been noticable higher in stockholm unless they gave out free tickets.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the WJC got half as much support in Europe as it does in Canada, it would be a rousing success. No one else cares about it like Canada, and no other country has the pomp and circumstance that Canada has.

MartinFr

Feb 16, 2006
Kalmar
- They expected to sell around 35 000 tickets and before todays game 57 000 had been sold.

- The TV-ratings were solid and broke records for Junior hockey. 500 000 watched Sweden-US (the group-stage game I believe) even though many swedes don't have that channel yet. Considering that Sweden has 9 million inhabitants that's pretty good ratings.

- Financially they expect everything to go + by a good margin.

go figure.

Last edited:

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Not sure about Stockholm but Gothenburg would have been a good choice, Frölunda always draws a good crowd and it has a decent population around the city as well.

Best place to have JWC in Sweden would be Ö-vik(which is where the team MODO is located, for those who doesnt know:Forsberg, Sedins, Näslund etc) They had over 5 000 ppl in the finals of MODOcupen last season (a tournament for 15-year olds)... its probably the only place in Sweden where hockey is number one by a far margin. Luleå is another place that couold have drawn big attendances.

Old Hickory

- They expected to sell around 35 000 tickets and before todays game 57 000 had been sold.

- The TV-ratings were solid and broke records for Junior hockey. 500 000 watched Sweden-US (the group-stage game I believe) even though many swedes don't have that channel yet. Considering that Sweden has 9 million inhabitants that's pretty good ratings.

- Financially they expect everything to go + by a good margin.

go figure.
Whenever an event like this is not held in Canada, Canadians bicker about it. Don't take it personal

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think this tournament wouldn't be as big of a deal in Canada even, without TSN's contribution to it. Most of my friends, who are hockey fans, know nothing about junior hockey and would never get into it if it wasn't hyped up by TSN, who constantly draws on previous encounters, and really profiles the players on Canada heavily throughout December. I think really over the last 15 years, TSN has made this an event to watch. The fact that it happens over the Christmas period too has allowed TSN to market it as a "family tradition," that all Canadians can watch.

I've often wondered why people care so much about this tournament, and not so much about other international tournaments like the U18? I guess the U18 really doesn't see Canada's best players (since the CHL playoffs are ongoing when it takes place) and that is a valid reason (but then again, I bet you most casual hockey fans wouldn't know that), but it seems to get almost no mainstream attention like the U20. I've always been fascinated at why people (who aren't hardcore hockey fans, like us) feel so proud at winning this competition, when it isn't the best level of hockey and features so many players that they have never heard of.

Evil Homer

Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
Thats the stupidiest thing i have ever heard. The homeice-advantage is HUGE advantage in Canada... Basically all big tournaments played are always on canadian terms... and its already once every third year in JWC too...

Well except WC which is played on more fair ground, but thats a tournament canadians don´t care about so. Canadians haven´t exactly been eager to spread this sport... you are more intrested in keeping it the way it always has been. Which is fun for yourselves, but sad for the sport.

How can the WC be played on fair ground when it is never played in North America? The upcoming tournament in Canada will be the first one since - ever? When you say fair, I guess you mean fair among European teams?

Keeping it the way it has always been? Not really. The new NHL rules, which are trickling down to all levels, have really opened up the game. International games used to be faster than the NHL, but they now have a lot more hooking, holding, and general obstruction than the North American game.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
Most Europeans think ANY tournament that is in North America is bias towards the US and Canada and nothing is going to change their minds. They think it is unfair for them to have to play on NHL size rinks but it is completely acceptable to force Canada and the US to have to play on International ice only once a year.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Listen, I found the venues to be small, but it is junior hockey after all. Junior hockey has grown big in this country over the last 10 years, but let's remember that a normal junior rink had about 3500 seats not too long ago. And most of the teams in the CHL still have small rinks.

I don't think the event is pumped up only by TSN. That's giving way too much credit to one network.

Every bulletin news in this country, be it radio, internet or tv, started with the canadian win. A hockey win for our country is big here. Even the Spengler Cup, which is a club championship allowing a bunch of canadian imports to form a supposed national team (coached by an nhl castoff), gets national coverage here. It is kind of strange.

As for the under 18, yes it gets some coverage. Just like the under-17 challenge (which was a championship during the Esso sponsorship years, I recall). But not at the same level.

And frankly, who cares about an under 18 without us sending our best players? the year Canada lost and Carey Price was the goalie, we couldn't send Sidney Crosby because Rimouski was in the midst of a playoff run. Neither could Brulé go. Imagine the results if they could have.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Canadians care so much for this tournament for a couple reasons. First, it's the closest thing we get to putting our best against the world's best on an annual basis (unfortunately the truly elite junior aged players are never there since they're already in the NHL). It's important to Canadians to be the worlds best at hockey, and if our juniors are winning then it's an indicator that we're still developing the best players in the world. I know that I get way more worked up over a WJHC gold medal match that involves Team Canada than any Stanley Cup game, and I think alot of Canadians feel the same.

It's also, as somebody mentioned above, a bit of a holiday tradition. Usually the kids are home and college/university hasn't started up yet, and many people are taking time off so alot of people get together over the holidays to watch it. I look forward to it every year more than any other hockey event on TV.

Jazz

How can the WC be played on fair ground when it is never played in North America? The upcoming tournament in Canada will be the first one since - ever? When you say fair, I guess you mean fair among European teams?

Keeping it the way it has always been? Not really. The new NHL rules, which are trickling down to all levels, have really opened up the game. International games used to be faster than the NHL, but they now have a lot more hooking, holding, and general obstruction than the North American game.
Just in case you did not know, the 2008 WCs are in Canada, Quebec City and Halifax.

The IIHF wanted to celebrate it's 100th anniversary in Canada.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think the play is much more exciting and high energy on the smaller Canadian rinks. The passive game on the big rinks can be very boring. Play goes east-west too much rather than north-south. Games much better last year on the smaller rinks in British Columbia than on the lakes they play on in Europe.

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping
And it's not like it was a Belarus-Switzerland game, it was USA VS the host team for the bronze!

It was played on a Friday at 4 pm. People were still at work (that's the reason why the host often get to play the late games when possible). The biggest reason why the game between Sweden and Canada was sold out was probably that almost everyone had the day off because of Christmas. Also, most people that took a vacation did so the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve.

SChan*

geee why is that canadians always have to complain at the swedes? The tournament was a success in sweden, give it a ****** break :shakehead

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You Canadians who have posted in this thread don't have all the facts.

The final last WJC, a great one, between the arcrivals, on TSN, got 5 million viewers in Canada. Thats 15% of the total population.

Swedens quater final this WJC were seen by 500.000 people on a channel that roughly 40% of the population gets. How many get RDS or TSN in Canada? But its still 7% of the total population (8m+) in Sweden that saw the QF. Had we made the finals we defenitly would have been close to that 15% mark. I would bet that the semifinal got 10+%.

So in terms of viewer I can't understand how it can be seen as a failure, the interest were great. Remember that coverge of junior hockey is non existant in Sweden to start with.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just in case you did not know, the 2008 WCs are in Canada, Quebec City and Halifax.

The IIHF wanted to celebrate it's 100th anniversary in Canada.

Also, the IIHF just doesn't tell what country hosts the WCs. The countries have to apply to host it. There's never been that much interest from North America.

SChan*

You Canadians who have posted in this thread don't have all the facts.

The final last WJC, a great one, between the arcrivals, on TSN, got 5 million viewers in Canada. Thats 15% of the total population.

Swedens quater final this WJC were seen by 500.000 people on a channel that roughly 40% of the population gets. How many get RDS or TSN in Canada? But its still 7% of the total population (8m+) in Sweden that saw the QF. Had we made the finals we defenitly would have been close to that 15% mark. I would bet that the semifinal got 10+%.

So in terms of viewer I can't understand how it can be seen as a failure, the interest were great. Remember that coverge of junior hockey is non existant in Sweden to start with.

well said. This thread has been made without facts.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg

Junior hockey isn't big here but I'd be at every game if it was in Scandinavium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->