WJC Group B: Dec 31 GDT - Russia vs. Czech Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
shaner89 said:
How about Khoudobin. This guy is awesome. Pogge, Khoudobin and maybe Rask, one of which will be the best goalie in the tournament.

Huh? What tournament are you talking about?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Berkut said:
No, they were not. At least 3 of canadian 6 goals were shots from outside of faceoff circles...He let in the first shot of the game...I mean, that game he really choked.

By saying 'no, they were not' are you implying that any goalie in the world would have produced a different result? Because the game wasn't even close. Khudobin was terrible, but Russia losses that game no matter who is in net.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Le Golie said:
By saying 'no, they were not' are you implying that any goalie in the world would have produced a different result? Because the game wasn't even close. Khudobin was terrible, but Russia losses that game no matter who is in net.

No. OK, I know that I am openning a can of worms, and that that Canadian team was unbeatable, the best ever, the Team of 2005 and blah-blah-blah, but there were exactly two reasons why Russia lost: Khudobin and no answer to the Canadian physical game. Were these two taken care of, the game would have been even. I don't know if the second was accomplishable, but on paper I don't see why: all those kids on the Russian team had played against men in the RSL and endured hits and all of that...

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
There was interview with Gersonsky (Head Coach of last year team) where he said that he was wrong with goalies. I don't remember his words but he admited it and said it was his mistake : He pulled Khudobin too early or waited too much ... or I just don't remember his words - I remember fact: He said it was one of the reasons and I don't deny fact that 2005 team was one of the best if not the best.

Last edited:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Den said:
No. OK, I know that I am openning a can of worms, and that that Canadian team was unbeatable, the best ever, the Team of 2005 and blah-blah-blah, but there were exactly two reasons why Russia lost: Khudobin and no answer to the Canadian physical game. Were these two taken care of, the game would have been even. I don't know if the second was accomplishable, but on paper I don't see why: all those kids on the Russian team had played against men in the RSL and endured hits and all of that...
Yet they couldn't contain Canada. Team Canada of 2005 was phenomenal, I've never seen Canada dominate so much. Usually, physical plays don't bother Russia that much. Remember in Halifax? Canada was hitting big but Russia's skill killed us. Last year our team had everything, speed, toughness, experience and skill. Your goalie may have been weak but I doubt it made that much of a difference.

I'm watching Team Canada this year and I'm kind of bored. I'm willing to bet that Canada will NOT win Gold and I even wonder if they'll even medal. Our players lack finishing touch and creativity. At least Canada is a hard working team. I believed in the Team USA hype at the beginning but since yesterday, I see that with hard work they are quite beatable. I'm putting my money on Russia to win Gold this year. Good luck to Russia.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Canuck21t, that is exactly how I feel about this year's Canadian team. I've wanted to say it for a while now, but I was afraid that with the Russian flag in my profile, nobody would take my opinion seriously.

This year's team has shown very little offensive flair or finesse game. It's been all about goon style hockey and I think it would be a shame if they won the tournament playing like that.

Last year's team was freaking amazing and they scored so many pretty goals whereas this year, most of the goals have just been the garbage goals from rebounds and stuff. Ofcourse you don't care how you score when it's in the playoffs, but when playing the weaker teams, this team has showed zero creativity.

Anyways, back to Russia. Good to see us get the win and the extra day of rest. As far as Khudobin goes, I think so far it's going GREAT! He's faced a lot of shots in his 3 games and has allowed 5 goals if I'm not mistaken. I think this performance should be a very big confidence booster and hopefully he can carry his solid play into the medal round.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Den said:

It is a can of worms, and I don't want to dig in any more than you do. But the talent on that Canadian team was head and shoulders above every other team. I was at the game and at the halway point Canada clearly went into shut down mode and only worried about playing out the game in a defensivly responble manner.

This isn't Canadian chest thumping, it's just factual that the 2003 draft class from Canada was incredible. Considering that over half that team played in the NHL this year I can't think of a reasonable argument against that. Is anyone outside of Ovechkin in the NHL fromt he Russian team?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
MOGiLNY said:
This year's team has shown very little offensive flair or finesse game. It's been all about goon style hockey and I think it would be a shame if they won the tournament playing like that.

Goon hockey? Canada is not very skilled. They are not very exciting. But there is a big difference between goon hockey and hard work. This version of Team Canada is extremely hard working, not goons.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
10 players from last year's team Russia were eligible to play at this year's tournament. we had a very young team and still went to the finals.

And i'm not taking anything away from Canada's team. It was fantastic and deserved the win.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Le Golie said:
Goon hockey? Canada is not very skilled. They are not very exciting. But there is a big difference between goon hockey and hard work. This version of Team Canada is extremely hard working, not goons.

yeah, i guess it was a wrong choice of words for me. i just meant a team that tries to intimidate opponents with physical play and relies more on making big hits than making the big plays..

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Le Golie said:
It is a can of worms, and I don't want to dig in any more than you do. But the talent on that Canadian team was head and shoulders above every other team. I was at the game and at the halway point Canada clearly went into shut down mode and only worried about playing out the game in a defensivly responble manner.

This isn't Canadian chest thumping, it's just factual that the 2003 draft class from Canada was incredible. Considering that over half that team played in the NHL this year I can't think of a reasonable argument against that. Is anyone outside of Ovechkin in the NHL fromt he Russian team?

From an outsider's point of view (non Canadian or Russian) I have to agree. Not only were they talented, but they probably had to be the oldest team in the history of the WJC. I think Crosby and Barker were the only non '85's --- and Barker only played 2 or 3 games.
Russia was super young. Apart from Ovechkin, most of their offense came from the '86's.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Le Golie said:
But the talent on that Canadian team was head and shoulders above every other team.

You are not helping here. See, that's the kind of statement I have a problem with...

Is anyone outside of Ovechkin in the NHL fromt he Russian team?

:dunno: Is anybody from the Canadian team in the RSL? Let's not use being in the NHL as a measuring stick for the talant of 20-year olds...

Misos Milakos*

MOGiLNY said:
yeah, i guess it was a wrong choice of words for me. i just meant a team that tries to intimidate opponents with physical play and relies more on making big hits than making the big plays..

A) there is nothing wrong with that, and B) What is big plays to you, making pretty little nifty stick handling plays? whoopty. Canada is also is a very fast team, and can skate with ANY team in the tournament. Their speed allows them to play an in your face up tempo game, where they take away time and space and forecheck relentlessly. Those are big plays and they create big opportunities, a little lacking on the finish, but they play a damn good game of hockey.

SChan*

both the czech and slovaks have been underwhelming this tournament.

Misos Milakos*

Le Golie said:

Actually, I personally find fast skating, hard working, in your face ,hard hitting teams to be exciting, yes, just as exciting as watching the russians play their dipsy doodle hockey, actually more exciting as a matter of fact.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
yentlmania said:
Why was Schwarz not in goal? has he stunk?

my understanding is that Schwarz had a poor outing in the game against Sweden and Fiala, who replaced him, played solid in the remaining of the Sweden game and against Slovakia. He let in 7 against Russia though, so we'll see who they start on monday.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Misos Milakos said:
A) there is nothing wrong with that, and B) What is big plays to you, making pretty little nifty stick handling plays? whoopty. Canada is also is a very fast team, and can skate with ANY team in the tournament. Their speed allows them to play an in your face up tempo game, where they take away time and space and forecheck relentlessly. Those are big plays and they create big opportunities, a little lacking on the finish, but they play a damn good game of hockey.

What I was trying to say, is that this year's team is only capable of pushing their way through the opponent whereas last year's guys could go around you just as well as through you and that's the way hockey should be played I think.

I think some of the players have even admitted that their gameplan is to just scare the opponent with some hits and crush their way through the whole game.

But hey, whatever wins you games.

Misos Milakos*

MOGiLNY said:
What I was trying to say, is that this year's team is only capable of pushing their way through the opponent whereas last year's guys could go around you just as well as through you and that's the way hockey should be played I think.

I think some of the players have even admitted that their gameplan is to just scare the opponent with some hits and crush their way through the whole game.

But hey, whatever wins you games.

I'd love to see these quotes of players saying their gameplan is just to scare their opponents.

It's also a lot more than pushing/crushing their way through. If you think a team could get by on just crushing/pushing their way through, than teams like the US and your russians must not be as skilled as you think they are, because if they were they would have no problem being able to expose a team that only relied on being able to crush and push their way through, unless you are so soft to the point where you can allow your skill to be overcome by our pushing/crushing game, and if thats the case give me our pushing/crushing/no skill game over your skilled but soft as hell game.

It's about follwing a system, playing good positionally, not allowing yourself to get out manned, or trapped deep too often allowing too many odd man rushes. Being disclipline and committed to that system.

Their speed is as big a factor as anything in their game. Is speed not a skill now? Is skill only being able to stickhandle? Their speed allows them to force mistakes made by the opposition, and create opportunites off their forecheck, as well forcing turnovers through the neutral zone allowing their transition game to go to work. Breaking teams down on the cycle, and generating opportunites off that cycle is also a big part of the game that this team does very well.

A very good sized, moblie, and above average puck moving blueline has and will also be key, put that together with timely goaltending and I see more than just a bunch of no talent pluggers. There is absoultely nothing wrong with the way this team plays, they play the game the way it should be played, This is hockey, not some all star game stickhandling showcase, but they could use a little more finish. Other than that though, they are playing the right type of game.

Last edited by a moderator:

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
It was on tv. I think O'Mara and somebody was talking about intimidating their opponents before the start of the tournament and I think after the Czech exhibition game.

If they are playing the right type of game, then last year's team played the wrong type of game.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Well, guys, here thoughts from review ;)

Don't pay too much attention to number of shots. It doesn't equal quality. Almost all of their (Czechs) shots were from perimeter and it was easy task for Khudobin, Imo.
Lemtyugov had 2 good chances in the first minutes but couldn't convert them. He played with Shirokov and Churilov, while without Kulemin first line was filled with Malkin, Radulov and Zubov. Then Lisin showed his great speed and outplayed Kindl very easy -> penalty for Kindl -> goal :D by Shirokov who battled on the slot and redirected shot from Buravchikov. He (Shirokov) reminds me Svatos. The same frame, the same style of play, the same little fearless dynamo but Shirokov isn't as good goalscorer as Svatos and hasn't as good hands but they are close, IMO. Then Malkin picked up puck on our bluline and skated through 4 Czechs like knife through butter but failed to score. We had tons of moments in the first but I don't remember them very good to describe. We just had tons of moments.
Our 2nd goal was created by Voloshenko. He forechecked 2 Czechs in their own zone, won the puck, passed it to Ketov, opened on the slot, received assist and passed the puck between Fiala's pads. Very nice goal by Roman. Then we had tons of moments too with Malkin, Lemtyugov, Radulov and others
3rd goal was a nice wristshot by Malkin, later he had magnificent assist to lonely Zubov on the slot through 2 or 3 Czechs (It was like his assist to Ovechkin at WC in game against Austia). Voloshenko's goal was just redirect - nothing special ;)
First Czechs goal was result of chaos in fron of our net, but it was good created... Krejci was very good in this moment and overall in moments he looked a lot more active than Frolik or Hanzal. Second goal was good wrister by Sobotka who outplayed Yemelin before and was rewarded with 2 cross-checks from Alexei for this impudence ;)
But we returned game under control very easy. First Malkin skated through 2 or 3 Czhechs as usually and assisted to Lisin who was alone in front of open net and later Radulov set the finale score : it was blast from the blue line or redirect and I couldn't see it better. That's all folks ;)

Actually, Fiala was damn good in the net for Czechs and despite being outshot we had way more chances to score. Just luck and Fiala saved Czehcs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->