WJC Group B: Dec 31 GDT - Finland vs. Switzerland (2-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
WJC Group B: Dec 31 GDT - Finland vs. Switzerland

-------------------------
GROUP B
1) Canada (3-0-0) 6 pts
2) Finland (2-1-0) 4 pts
3) Czech Rep (2-1-0) 4 pts
4) Switzerland (1-2-0) 2 pts
5) Ukraine (0-4-0) 0 points
-------------------------

Prediction:
4-2 Finland

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
For Finns, getting a point or not loosing by more than one goal basicly means they finish second in the A group if Canada beats Czechs in earlier game. If Czechs win or tie, Finns need to win or tie too. (To add another twist, if Russia looses to USA (earlier on the day) and Slovaks beat Swedes, it is entrely possible that the grand prize for finishing second is meeting Russia instead of Slovakia :dunno: )

For Swiss, if Canada wins Czechs in the earlier game with only one goal margin, Swiss need to win by two goals. If Canada wins by two goals or more, or if the Czechs win or tie, Swiss just need a win to advance.

Speculation aside, Finns should win 3-1 or something like that, possibly more if Swiss are forced to open up their game due to earlier results (as explained above.)

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I hope the Finns finish 3rd, so they don't have to meat the swedes in the QF, instead It could be SWE-FIN in the finals... or bronze game... ;)

So if the Finns tie this game or atleast end up on top of the Suisse in the standings, I'm happy... ;)

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
1-0 Finland through two... Switzerland surposely only has 2 shots on net, 15 for the Fins... and Antti Nokelainen scored the goal for the Fins.

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
2-0 Finland:

55.37 2 - 0 EQ Finland 18. JUNNILA, Jyri
(8. VARAKAS, Ville)

IIHF is indicating it's a done deal: Finland wins 2-0 to clinch second spot. Czechs get third place in the pool.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Douggy said:
Did anybody SEE this game?? How did it go?

Pretty cautious play by both sides but Finland was clearly the better team. Toivonen didn't really have to take part in the game until the 3rd period in which Switzerland hit the cross bar once (edit: it might have been a goal, I'm not sure. On one angle it looked like the puck went in based on how it bounced back but the referee refused to check it out.). Our first line had a pretty good night, with Valtteri Filppula being the best player on the ice. He's a whole lot better than last year and is actually starting to look like he has NHL potential. Looked dangerous with the puck in just about every shift and created several good scoring chances for Bergenheim and Nokelainen.

Last edited:

eh

If I'd have to describe this game with one word, it'd be "boring". The Swiss trapped, grabbed, clutched and hugged as much as they could and did it well enough to make the Finns desperate. Luckily for Team Finland, they got the first goal just before the end of the first period, otherwise it would've been a difficult game for them.

Valtteri Filppula was clearly the best player on ice. The Swiss goalie was good. Joni Töykkälä and Tommi Oksa shared the "Hands of Stone" award this time. Why do hockey players with no skill exist? What are they good for? Why are they chosen for international competition? Why are they (as in Töykkälä's case) selected captains of their teams?

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
I'm glad that Hannu Toivonen got the shutout. Eight shots or not, ask any goalie if he'd rather face 30 or 8 in a game, and they'll likely take the former because it is so much harder to stay focused when you're seeing such sporadic action.

One of the things about Toivonen I was told by scouts when the Bruins drafted him was that he has *very good* focus. It would appear that he's proving that. And, you have to like that he's getting the job done in front of the home fans. That's a lot of pressure right there as well...

Thanks for the reports- those who have seen him play in the games against the Czechs and Swiss...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->