WJC Group B: Dec 30 GDT - Ukraine vs. Finland (1-14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopGun12

Dec 22, 2003
8-1 for the finns. I think Ukraine might get there first goal of the tournament in this one. You have to feel for them when they can't even afford laces and tape.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
14-1 Finland

First Period
0-1 Lauri Tukonen (Tommi Oksa)
0-2 Petri Kontiola (Lauri Tukonen)
0-3 Sami Lepisto (Valtteri Filppula, Sean Bergenheim)
0-4 Sami Lepisto(2) (Jarkko Immonen, Masi Marjamäki)

Second Period
0-5 Jarkko Immonen (Kevin Kantee)
0-6 Janne Jasasvaara (Joni Toykkala)
1-6 Oleksiy Lubnin (Kyrolo Katrych, Vitaliy Kyrychenko)
1-7 Valtteri Filppula (Ville Varakas, Sean Bergenheim)
1-8 Sami Lepisto (3) (Anssi Salmela)

Third Period
1-9 Valtteri Filppula(2) (Joni Toykkala, Jarko Immonen)
1-10 Valtteri Filppula(3)
1-11 Sean Bergenheim (Sami Lepisto)
1-12 Arsi Piispanen (Teemu Nurmi)
1-13 Jarkko Immonen (Ville Varakas)
1-14 Teemu Nurmi (Mikko Kalteva)

Last edited:

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Any opinions on Immonen(I'm assuming that its the Stars prospect Jarkko A. Immonen)?

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I'm just happy for the Ukraine team for scoring a goal!

When you hear about the lack of training, equipment, food, etc., you develop a little bit of a soft spot for them (or at least I did). Scoring one goal is a big achievement when you look at the opposing teams.

Some thoughts as seen on tv:

- Ukraine`s lone goal was a nice one. On poweplay just great shot by Aleksei Lubnin. Exicilent traffic on front of the net made by Ukrainian number # 15.

- Ukrainians can`t pass. That affects every power-play, every offensive move. Decent skating though and same good tackles. What they need is good coaching.

- Very ugly kneeing by Oleksiy Koval. Victim was Sami Lepistö who was lucky not get hurt seriously. Those situations can end careers even before they really start.

- Sami Lepistö. Wow. What a offensive defenceman. Best player of the game.

- Valtteri Filppula. Nice offesive moves and very soft hands. At the end of the third period Filppula kept hacking Ukraine`s goalie`s pads even situation was over. I was afraid that Ukrainians would snap and pull some martymcsorleyish stunt on him. But ukrainians were too soft to clear the crease.

- Ukraine played very well first couple of minutes. They even had a shot to the goalpost. But when Lauri Tukonen scored the first goal of the evening, the game was over.

EDIT: That ukranian forward #15 was Viktor Andruschenko who made the traffic in front of the net.

Last edited:

eh

Predatore said:
1-7 Valtteri Filppula (Ville Varakas, Sean Bergenheim)
1-9 Valtteri Filppula(2) (Joni Toykkala, Jarko Immonen)
1-10 Valtteri Filppula(3)
Filppula had a good game, but he only scored the two of those goals. The 1-9 goal was scored by Anssi Salmela with a slapshot from the blueline.

Ukraine clearly has no business in this tournament. Koval should be thrown out from the tournament for his kneeing, it was an attempt to injure if I ever saw one.

Team Finland has some health problems. Head coach Hannu Aravirta missed the game because he has the flu, Kevin Kantee has minor problems with his knee, Oskari Korpikari left the game in the first period, holding his shoulder after crashing against the boards, Sean Bergenheim complained that he's been sick lately and isn't in good shape, ... Not too good, considering they still have to win Switzerland to make the next round. Lennart Petrell served the first game of his two game suspension.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
This & that:

At first Tarankov between the Ukrainian pipes seemed to fight the overwhelming opposition with great morale but as the game progressed, he wore down both physically and mentally. Ultimately his five-hole leaked badly, revealing that he has very little techique whatsoever. Finland's Vuorio was shaky, the team would probably not survive without Toivonen.

If the Lionettes have ever had a blueliner with a better onetimer than that of Sami Lepistö, it's beyond my memory.

Koval's kneeing on Lepistö was incredibly stupid. To go further you'd need intent to injure.

Oskari Korpikari was sent to the hospital right away after his injury to have his shoulder looked at. Ouch. Does anyone even dared to hope he'd still play in the tournament? A huge loss.

So far Anssi Salmela is doing well to redeem himself.

Valtteri Filppula's SH goal was magnificent. Bergenheim has trouble hitting the upper corners even when standing still, but Filppula manages that with backhand at high speed while falling down sidefirst both feet in the air. I only remember some NHL superstars doing that in news highlights.

Oleksey Lubnin, who scored Ukraine's goal, was their one visible skater and even he owes one half of that to his rough game.

Not one part of Ukraine's game was working well enough for this level of play. Now that the Finns have had all the chances in the world to play with the puck, they'll hopefully be more productive from now on. We'll see that tomorrow against Switzerland.

eh

Puke` said:
How did Arsi Piispanen look and on what line is he playing? Thanks.
He was centering the fourth line this time. He did seem a bit lost sometimes (turning over the puck easily etc.), but did show some good stickhandling on other occasions. His goal was an easy tip-in from a rather tight angle (an excellent pass by Nurmi from behind the net).

HockeyGoddess

Mar 1, 2002
Nashua, NH
I know the Finns didn't have any trouble with the Ukrainians, but how did Hannu Toivonen look in this game, and how has he looked in other games thusfar in the tourney? The only game I was able to catch was the one against Canada, and only because it was on NHL Centre Ice.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Happy new year to everyone!

eh

Toivonen rested this game. He has looked pretty good in the other games. The thing about him that I like (and most others probably hate) is that he's constantly (or should I say non-stop) giving instructions to his defensemen. I was a football (no, it's not soccer) goalie myself and maybe it's just that I had the same habit, but at least the D knows when to watch out for an opponent etc.

He wasn't really tested by the Swiss, but he did make a couple of big saves in the third. I only saw the Czech game in the telly. The first goal was his fault, but otherwise he had a solid game. He hasn't done anything spectacular so far, but I guess he'll have the chance to in the QF against Team Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad