WJC Group B: Dec 28 GDT - Canada vs. Switzerland (7-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEli*

Boards are still working for me. Interesting...heh

Nice, quick shot bt Sid. Impressive work getting behind the Swiss dman and around the other sprawling one.

Decent game by Canada. Pretty interesting to see some of those soft calls again this year. The charging call in the 2nd and the high stick in the 3rd looked weak but resulted in nothing.

A quick question though. Does the IIHF count Mike Richards' penalty shot goal as a PP goal? Canada was on the PP when he was awarded the shot but I don't know what the rules are.

Erngueva

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
PEli said:
Boards are still working for me. Interesting...heh

Nice, quick shot bt Sid. Impressive work getting behind the Swiss dman and around the other sprawling one.

Decent game by Canada. Pretty interesting to see some of those soft calls again this year. The charging call in the 2nd and the high stick in the 3rd looked weak but resulted in nothing.

A quick question though. Does the IIHF count Mike Richards' penalty shot goal as a PP goal? Canada was on the PP when he was awarded the shot but I don't know what the rules are.

I'm almost certain that it count for a PP goal.... Or maybe it just a Penalty shot goal .. dont really know...

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
some random thoughts -

where are the fans? The only people there were parents of Canadians and the odd (odd-looking, anyway) guy dressed up with red and white (look like Canadians who might be playing over in Europe?).

Gorges is turning into something of a missed story - probably the best Canadian D today.

Crosby-Dixon-Tambellini had better puck control than the other lines throughout the game and will score more as the tournament proceeds.

Crosby is a great opportunist and the shot was perfect - he is playing solid for a 16 year old.

Fleury looked pretty average on the second goal.

Phaneuf looks like he is coasting out there - but you really have to wonder where Belle's head is at with some very poor choices along the way.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
If it wasn't for some sloppy play in our own end, that game would have been a complete domination.

Once again, the size and skill of the canadian forwards completed ran over an opposing defense corp.

The Richards, Dawes and Stewart line was again very solid.

The Carter, Burns and Getzlaf line was a lot better today and really stepped it up offensively. Brent Burns in particular was very solid. I think a lot of people really underestimate Burns ability, and not just at this tournament. He's very quick, he's one of the best stickhandlers on the team, he's strong on the puck, he's physical. I think this guy's upside in the NHL is a lot higher than we are giving him credit for.

Sidney Crosby was absolutely outstanding today. This kid, I mean, he's going to be a good one. There is no overhyping. He's quick, he's elusive and he's playing a much larger role than Spezza did as a 16 year old. Was great to finally see him getting a goal.

Marc Andre Fleury is looking a little shaky, he really hasn't been all that stellar so far, but I'm sure when we really need him most, he'll be there.

Peter Guggisberg was the most impressive Swiss player for me. Holy crap is this guy quick. He was beating Canada's defense to the outside all day.

Just a quick thought on the officiating. What an absolutely HORRID job. Maybe the worst officiating I've ever seen at any game at any level. I don't even know if these guys knew the rules. And it's not just about the charging penalty to Burns. That was only one instance. There was the penalty call on the Swiss and the fact that they had touched the puck numerous times and play wasnt whistled.......and when it finally was, they didn't even touch the puck. Then all the weird icing and offside calls which were just baffling. I pray to god that these guys don't ref a meaningful game in this tournament.

PEli*

gb701 said:
where are the fans? The only people there were parents of Canadians and the odd (odd-looking, anyway) guy dressed up with red and white (look like Canadians who might be playing over in Europe?).

It's always like this in many European cities. The host team and their main rivals always put up great attendance numbers but any games that are viewed as possible blowouts see poor showings.

There are very few countries in which a Canada/Swiss game will draw more than 25% capacity. I wouldn't expect the Fins to be very interested in this matchup but didn't think the attendance would look as poor as it did.

Erngueva

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think Fleury was by far the worst player for Canada today. He was not sharp and his concentration was little to none. I'm sure he will continue the tournament with stellar performance.

BTW, The Crosby goal was great and he could have finish the game with 2 or 3 goals.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
gb701 said:
but you really have to wonder where Belle's head is at with some very poor choices along the way.

That was the knock on Belle when he was drafted. Million dollar skills and a two cent brain. Very similar IMO to Tim Gleason.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Erngueva said:
I think Fleury was by far the worst player for Canada today. He was not sharp and his concentration was little to none. I'm sure he will continue the tournament with stellar performance.

BTW, The Crosby goal was great and he could have finish the game with 2 or 3 goals.
Phaneuf wasn't great too ...
I was hoping more from him !!
Burns was very solid !! ... Richard too!
and crosby is so talented !!! :p

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Fleury wasn't sharp today but I don't think the coaching staff will be overly concerned. He knows what he has to do for his next start.

My guess is that Harding will be in nets for the game against the Ukraine.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
Erngueva said:

Yeah and I'm sure Crosby will definitely get 2 or 3 goals against Ukraine, tomorrow :handclap:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Man this sucks I taped the game but I only got the first period and then the power went out. Canada played a goood first period but their defence wasn't that good. Good to hear that Canada won 7-2.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
canucksfan said:
Man this sucks I taped the game but I only got the first period and then the power went out. Canada played a goood first period but their defence wasn't that good. Good to hear that Canada won 7-2.
If you want to see the rest of the game, TSN is replaying the game at 4:30 pm ET

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
For anyone that cares, the game is being repeated at 4:30EST.....

I thought it was a good game...The Swiss were freakin' quick, and played the transition game VERY well. Basically how they scored both of their goals.

I couldn't help but notice, that on both Swiss goals however, there is a Team Canada Dman almost directly in the way. I would need to see the goals from different angles, but the first one, it almost looked like Fleury didn't find the puck until it was too late.

Crosby was excellent this morning. The guy has major league skill, and it looks great. He BLEW by Swiss dmen numerous times, and his goal I thought he was gonna dish the puck of to Tambilinni, but instead shot and sniped the corner above the tenders shoulder. GREAT GAME! Like Mcguire said....first EVER 16year old MONSTER! :D

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The Wild have themselves a player in Burns, he impressed me a lot.

Canada was just truly overpowering them it seemed. The Swiss didn't get much sustained pressure, unlike Canada, who was able to put pressure on and get chance after chance and bury it.

Let's hope that somehow no one on HFBoards gets to hear or see the Ukraine game, because Crosby could have a huge day... and there goes the boards. ;)

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I thought that the two goals were both a result of a bad call by a Canadian defenceman, particurly the second where Phaneuf made a terrible choice and was far out of position trying to take out a man that wasn't important while the Swiss scored.

Overall, I was impressed with the Swiss, who played significantly better than I was expecting of them, and demonstrated that they had a lot of speed.

Once again, Stewart was simply dominant in the offensive zone, as was the big line for Canada. Getzlaf played very well in general, and Burns continnues to shows why he's in the NHL right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad