WJC Group B: Dec 26 GDT - Canada vs. Finland (3-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Canada dominating again...before the last powerplay outshooting the Finns 13-4 in the 2nd period.

Canada's blueline just looks intelligent. Positionally sound.

Richards is having a great game...

Canada playing very physical, looks like a few tentative Finnish plays because of it.

Really like Fillipula and Bergenheim on the other side...both fighting hard and almost every Finnish chance comes off their play.

Habber

May 31, 2002
Saskatoon, Sask.
Visit site
Great game by Canada so far.

We're doing a really good job of pressuring the puck in every zone. Good to see us take advatage of our size. I don't think the Finns have carried the puck into our zone more than a couple times. Our D have been standing them up very well.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
slats432 said:
Canada dominating again...before the last powerplay outshooting the Finns 13-4 in the 2nd period.

Canada's blueline just looks intelligent. Positionally sound.

Richards is having a great game...

Canada playing very physical, looks like a few tentative Finnish plays because of it.

Really like Fillipula and Bergenheim on the other side...both fighting hard and almost every Finnish chance comes off their play.

bergenheim has been, by far, the best for finland.

Was just reading posts by Finnish fans. Boy were you guys wrong. It was like watching the Gold medal game from last year only Canada was on the bigger side. The Finns were outmatched behind both nets, in the corners and along the boards. The defense made some horrendous give-aways and looked like Pee-Wees against the "Gigantor" line of Stewart-Carter-Getzlaf.
Poor Hannu Toivonen. The only positive thing that the Finns can take away from this game is that Toivonen is good.
And to any Flames fans reading this thread, Phaneuf looks incredible. Was the best defenceman on the ice for both teams by far. The Seabrook-Coburn connection looked alright, but were beat a couple of times and didn't look to be totally in sync. Neufy just looked stellar.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I may be a little biased, but I thought that Richard's was the best forward out on the ice. He was constantly creating plays down low and showed tremendous strength for someone his size. I thought that he made a lot of great plays and was in large part responsible for the 1st and 3rd goals of the game.

On defense, I was very impressed with Phaneuf's play, he was very solid. He really reminds me of Adam Foote and kind of even looks like him as well. I was not too impressed with Coburn or Seabrooke, both were solid but not spectacular.

This was also the first time I've gotten to see Sidney play and I was extremely impressed. He made tons of great plays, specifically in the 2nd and 3rd period and his linemates were unable to capatilize. I could see this kid being one of the top scorers in this tournament, with not too much ice time.

Fluery was solid in net and made the saves he had to, but the Finns just couldn't generate any offense. I think it's difficult to get an idea of how good the Canada defense actually is because finland just doesn't have much offense.

dragonwyck

Any thoughts on Shawn Belle would be greatly appreciated. I understand he was on the 3rd pairing so he may not have been noticed much.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
VOB said:
Finland will be in for a rude surprise as they come up against a hard nosed team that plays excellent defense.

Canada 3 Finland 0 (score would be 6-0 were it not for Toivonen . Finland will not generate more than 20 shots on goal.)

What a prediction! :bow: :bow:

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Tambellini looked great. He made a couple of dandy moves to get open and I thought he and Sidney had a few brilliant moments. Although I didn't see Tambellini on the ice too often when he was out there he looked solid.

I would say that Stewart looked to be the strongest Can forward and Phanuef was the best player on the ice for either team. Soumi didn't mount much of a challenge.

-HIFK-

Boy does our team miss players like Tuomo Ruutu and Joni Pitkänen...

As expected, Bergenheim and Filppula (not Fillipula) were the best Finns out there. It shows, that one of them plays in the NHL, and the other one is in a key role in a Finnish SM-League- team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanny MacDonald*

Great news on Phanuef. I hear the comparisons between Stevens and Pronger with his play in the WHL and it gets you excited. But to see him excel on the world stage, well that's huge. I'm glad that he's showing that he was worthy of the hype from the draft. So based on the comments from everyone I would assume that he has looked like the best from his draft class then?

Lanny MacDonald said:
Great news on Phanuef. I hear the comparisons between Stevens and Pronger with his play in the WHL and it gets you excited. But to see him excel on the world stage, well that's huge. I'm glad that he's showing that he was worthy of the hype from the draft. So based on the comments from everyone I would assume that he has looked like the best from his draft class then?

It's tough to call right now after one game on the world stage, and I haven't seen Suter play. I had Phaneuf ahead of Coburn on my draft list, but wasn't surprised that Atlanta passed on him. Neufy just looked incredible though. Pierre MacGuire couldn't stop raving about him either.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Notes on players on the Canadian sides of things:

Mike Richards - In my opinion, the second best player on the ice. Richards was dominant on both ends, and showed smart, simple hockey and was the one guy who 'got things done' the most. Richards was crazy-good in his own zone and broke up play after play the Finnish forwards had. He even was blocking shots!

Dion Phaneuf - The best player on the ice. Perhaps the funniest moment of the game was when Peirre Maguire (colour commentator) just said, 'No way that's ever going to work (or something similar)' as a Finnish player tried to dangle through Phaneuf's legs. Dion was the dominant player on the ice tonight.

Ryan Getzlaf, Jeff Carter, Brent Burns - Pretty darn good, and they will score a goal against the Swiss, bank on it. They are so tough to handle. Each player there is more than capable on their own. In particular, I thought Carter and Burns looked to be dominant forces out there. Not to slag Getzlaf who was involved, but I've seen him have better games. Carter was just a force when he had the puck (which wasnt enough), and Burns showed great speed, size, and stickhandling.

Nigel Dawes - While I feel it's Richards and Stewart that make the line, Dawes compliments them well. He had one great shooting chance and got a 'freebie' assist on Phaneuf's goal, but nonetheless, he did a lot of things right tonight.

Stewart - Goal and an assist, and he was a TERROR out there. Honestly, there's nobody out there that makes me think 'Bertuzzi' more than Stewart. He is a MOOK out there. Defenders are honest to goodness TERRIFIED of the guy. The second he steps on the ice, the opposition is immediatly more tentative and give up the puck more. It's just awesome to witness him behind the net pushing aside defensemen. I want to see him against a bigger defense against maybe the Russians though.

Fleury - Not much of a test for him. I don't think he had a fantastic game tonight, to be honest, but he did what he needed to do to get the W

Talbot - Not a good game for him at all, he can do much better.

Paille - Most underrated player in this tournament, nevermind Canada! Paille is the face of team Canada, and you could really tell that he will do anything and everything to win. So happy to see him score, but he was involved everywhere tonight.

Seabrooke and Coburn - Can do much better.

Sidney Crosby - Good. I don't think Crosby will do too well this WJC's, but he showed some involvement.

Josh Georges - AWESOME! Really impressed me! Boy this kid is really good, very underrated considering last time I saw him.

Derek Meekes - Solid compliment to Phaneuf. Good skater.

That's all for now.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
-HIFK- said:
Boy does our team miss players like Tuomo Ruutu and Joni Pitkänen...

As expected, Bergenheim and Filppula (not Fillipula) were the best Finns out there. It shows, that one of them plays in the NHL, and the other one is in a key role in a Finnish SM-League- team.
I think Rutuu and Piktanen are too old.But canada miss Bouchard,Horton,Staal,Bergeron and NASH so this is not an excuse.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
The best forward in today's game was Anthony Stewart. His forcheck created a lot of chances. He also got a goal and an assist.

The best defenceman was Phaneuf. This guy was huge in todays game. Great in his own end and he chipped in a goal.

leafaholix*

L3DZ3P said:
I think Rutuu and Piktanen are too old.But canada miss Bouchard,Horton,Staal,Bergeron and NASH so this is not an excuse.
I don't think he meant it as an excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad