WJC Group A: Dec 31 GDT - Sweden vs. Slovakia (0-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
And we are OUT! So much for Bendelins storys about showing heart and playing defensive "swedish" hockey. Doesn't do much good when you need to score, eh?

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I hope we can avoid relegation anyway. Congrats to the slovaks and happy new year folks!

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
Douggy said:
Slovakia win!!!

Edit: This means Slovakia comes in Second in the group and Canada won't play either the USA or Russia in the Semis!!

So Friday TSN will show Slovakia vs. Czech Republic, winner to get Canada in Semis. Russia plays Finland in other quarter-final.

Dr_Chimera*

Looks like Sweden's gone.

So am I right here...?

Russia-Finland (winner v US)
and
Czechs-Slovakia (winner v Canada)

One disappointment for me is the fact that Czech v Slovakia will be on tv, as opposed to Russia v Finland.

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
That's what was indicated on TSN, they'll show game that winner would play Canada in... thrills for us!!

IIHF is indicating it's an early start time for Slovakia/Czech Republic as well.

Last edited:

NWT Habs Fan

Apr 25, 2003
Edmonton, AB
Visit site
Voodoo Daddy said:
Halak with two shutouts and only 7 goals allowed in 4 games so far. Mighty good, especially for a goalie from a non top-team.

Considering three of those games were against Russia, Sweden and the high flying Americans, it's quite a performance. Good late round pick by les Canadiens it would appear. He doesn't have the support in front of him that the marquee goalies like Montoya and Fleury have.

Happy New Year all!!

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Dr_Chimera said:
Looks like Sweden's gone.

So am I right here...?

Russia-Finland (winner v US)
and
Czechs-Slovakia (winner v Canada)

One disappointment for me is the fact that Czech v Slovakia will be on tv, as opposed to Russia v Finland.

I don't see the disappointing aspect in this.

Czech vs Slovakia games are always going to be far more intensely played than any other match up other than maybe Canada vs US/Russia or Sweden vs Finland because of the historical component to them. Personally, I think this is going to be a lot better game than watching an underachieving Russian squad quite possibly lose to the excitement of the host team.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the game myself.

Dr_Chimera*

Mountie said:
I don't see the disappointing aspect in this.

Czech vs Slovakia games are always going to be far more intensely played than any other match up other than maybe Canada vs US/Russia or Sweden vs Finland because of the historical component to them. Personally, I think this is going to be a lot better game than watching an underachieving Russian squad quite possibly lose to the excitement of the host team.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the game myself.

Well, I can agree with that.

My side however is about getting a closer glimpse of some of the players not yet seen on tsn.

They already showed the Czechs and the Slovaks, let's face it, have fewer good prospects to offer. But in terms of just action - I don't disagree, but I mostly watch the WJC's for players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad