WJC Group A: Dec 30 GDT - USA vs. Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

ish

Jan 3, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
I have to say that I too am bothered by the Canadian fans treatment of the US team. Yes, we're favored and we're an obstacle to you this year but you've got a little more on your agenda when your arena explodes with cheers for a Norway goal to their deficit to 7 (or whatever). That isn't just cheering for an outcome that will favor your team, that's something else altogether.

I love Canada and love visiting it (I try to get up there a few times a year) but you guys need to calm down. We all know how you feel about hockey. No other country comes close when it comes to how much the sport is woven into the culture of a country nor will another country ever approach the depth Canada has at its disposal when choosing a national team. Cheering that lustily against teenagers? I don't know. I might even give it to you for the tight games with Finland and the Swiss but in a blowout?

Last year is tough to compare because most of the crowds for most games were Canadian anyway, but for what it's worth you heard no raucous cheers for Canadas opponents in ND. Maybe it's because no one was ever in a game against them but still.

I can not put in to words how much I want to win tomorrow and win the whole thing on Canadian soil (don't we owe you for 02 and 05?), but may the best squad win.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
My comments from tonight's game:

Switzerland was excellent. They played the USA superbly and really choked their offense. The USA wasn't great, but they certainly can't claim they played terribly or anything like that. A few undisciplined penalties hurt them, but more importantly their difficulties getting through the neutral zone and gaining the offensive zone really kept them from sustaining a lot of pressure. I thought they probably should have played more dump and chase instead of constantly trying to carry it through the Swiss defense, who were doing a good job of angling and taking away time and space from the American forwards. I don't care what people say about the trap, when it's played well and players take away passing lanes and take good angles it can be a thing of beauty.

The officiating tonight was on a completely different level than it has been in the past, and it made for a way better game. I thought whoever it was tonight (didn't catch his name at the start of the game) did an outstanding job for the most part, and although you might be able to complain about the crosschecking call Johnson got to put the Americans down 5 on 3 late and allowed the Swiss to tie it up, ultimately it was a stupid thing for Johnson to do and he probably deserved it. Maybe I would have let it go as it was in front of the net and it was a very harmful time and situation to call it, but in the end he smoked a guy after the play, and that's probably going to be a penalty. Overall I thought the guy did a great job.

Both goaltenders were for the most part very sharp, but both allowed a goal that they probably shouldn't have. Berra let a very soft rebound out that he thought he had allowing Ryan to poke the loose puck in, and Schnieder got beat somehow on his near post from right on the goal line. Both guys were very solid other than that and made some very good saves.

On the Swiss, I thought the top defense pairing of Blum and Diaz were fantastic, and Joggi had a good game. The Swiss' top line, Sprunger's line, (29 14 12 I think? I have all the lines written down but it I don't have it handy) were very good. Their PK was also quite good, and someone who I liked especially in that area was Kamloops Blazer Janick Steinmann.

For the Americans, no one stood out as playing really well today. I though Jack Johnson had a poor game by his standards, and took a few undisciplined penalties. Kessel created a couple of chances with his speed, but his line was for the most part not very effective. Paukovich's line was strong in the first period I thought, but after that I didn't think really any of the forwards were very good. Mueller in particular disappointed me a bit tonight offensively; he looked like he was handling a grenade, and just didn't show the skill that I know he has. He did however have a strong defensive game and I still don't think I've ever seen the guy lose a faceoff, here or in the WHL (Walt Kyle, if you read this, let Mueller take more faceoffs!). Once again tonight, Mueller Ryan and Wheeler split time on Schremp's wings. Mueller killed penalties and played some pp and es, Ryan was on the pp a bit, and Wheeler got most of his time even strength, and thankfully there was plenty of that tonight for once.

In general, I thought it was a great game: not sloppy like against Finland, solid defense, good goaltending, and thank goodness well officiated!

Last edited:

OilerNut*

Just to let you guys know I was at both games at the Pacific Coliseum tonight and the fans were cheering against Finland in the Finland/Norway game when they were winning 7-0, and exploded when Norway scored. So it isn't just the americans that people are against.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
OilerNut said:
Just to let you guys know I was at both games at the Pacific Coliseum tonight and the fans were cheering against Finland in the Finland/Norway game when they were winning 7-0, and exploded when Norway scored. So it isn't just the americans that people are against.

Good to know. That pretty much answers that pointless debate over the booing/cheering.

Randall Graves*

ish said:
I have to say that I too am bothered by the Canadian fans treatment of the US team. Yes, we're favored and we're an obstacle to you this year but you've got a little more on your agenda when your arena explodes with cheers for a Norway goal to their deficit to 7 (or whatever). That isn't just cheering for an outcome that will favor your team, that's something else altogether.

I love Canada and love visiting it (I try to get up there a few times a year) but you guys need to calm down. We all know how you feel about hockey. No other country comes close when it comes to how much the sport is woven into the culture of a country nor will another country ever approach the depth Canada has at its disposal when choosing a national team. Cheering that lustily against teenagers? I don't know. I might even give it to you for the tight games with Finland and the Swiss but in a blowout?

Last year is tough to compare because most of the crowds for most games were Canadian anyway, but for what it's worth you heard no raucous cheers for Canadas opponents in ND. Maybe it's because no one was ever in a game against them but still.

I can not put in to words how much I want to win tomorrow and win the whole thing on Canadian soil (don't we owe you for 02 and 05?), but may the best squad win.
People are forgetting these are basically kids.

sbutler66

Feb 25, 2004
People in BC can cheer whoever they want in a game that doesn't involve their team. Why is everyone so worried about trying to find a reason?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
ish said:

I think people love cheering for the underdogs. There's not much else to it. Yes, these kids are teenagers but its not like we are killing anyone. They can handle it. Be prepared for a hostile crowd tommorow night. This Canada/US game has been really hyped up for weeks now around these parts.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
RallyKiller said:
People are forgetting these are basically kids.

Most of the players are 18 and 19 years old. If you're old enough to join the military, or vote, you're old enough to deal with a little booing.

SChan*

I don't understand why so many complain on the canadians? This is a competition, and a loss to US might favor canada later in their tournament. They have to think on their own team. This is not a love relationship.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
ish said:

You cant even possibly begin to compare last year, I was at the games last year, there were more Canadian fans in every game than American fans, in any game Canada was playing the fans were like 9:1 Canadian.

There was booing last year in Grand Forks though, just not loudly and not as much because there were not nearly the amount of American fans.

I dont think there is anything wrong with fans cheering for whoever they want, everyone has their own opinion, I am as passionate of a fan as any other fan ive ever met and I will cheer hard for whichever team I want to win....and I believe that is my right as much as it is anyone else's.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
Slitty said:
Does this effect USA's general status of co-favourites or according to Americans the lone favourites? I know exhibition doesn't count, but Russia easily handled that Swiss team 5-0 in their second exhibition game.
Yep and the canadians easily handled the russian 8-1 :sarcasm:

insider

Nov 14, 2003
OilerNut said:
Not really... people just love cheering for the Norwegians. It was the same with Yukon at the Canada Games...

sbutler66

Feb 25, 2004
naihlflames said:
Because chanting US $ucks crossed the line.

I don't see the big fuss when US fans cheer {enter ANY team name here} sucks, it never seems to cross the line. Why do american fans feel the need to be so victimised. Two big rivals, why shouldn't they try and put your team off. And maybe just maybe they don't like americans?! Shock horror.

sbutler66

Feb 25, 2004
Jazz said:
I made some comments and posted some pictures form this game here

I was also lucky enough to speak Bob Nicholson after this game! :handclap: I summarized that conversation in the same link above.

Great post, thanks for sharing, love the pictures. The shot and caption of the opening faceoff - classic!!

espo*

Well,good job by the Swiss,they are no pushover and have'nt been for some time.As for the American squad they have some soul-searching to do.I expect them to play Canada sharp tonight in what should be a good game and am looking forward to it.

On another note it's really sad to see some fans still going on about the Booing the American team is getting from Canadian fans here.I think Canadian posters could have been all over you after this game and they sure have'nt been so i don't see why that stuff is still being poo-pooed about,our posters here have'nt been on your case about tying Switzerland so this stuff about the booing is old and not very reasonable and you are better then that.Canada has been booed many times in the international game by the crowd,it's the price of success guys,that's the way it goes.If you were'nt any good nobody would care,we KNOW,we've been dealing with the "out to get us stuff" in international hockey for a long time.I know your fans had great expectations going into this tournament and you still should have,it's still a good team with a lot of weapons so fret not.The complaining about the booing IMO,has little to to do with the fact Canadian fans are booing your players(honestly,they can boo whoever they want,it's not a big deal) and more to do with the fact you are so far dissapointed with the results of your team IMO.This is not a time to keep going on about inconsequential stuff like that,your team should use it as motivation,good teams would and it's up to them to do it.

Let's drop that stuff and concentrate on the games themselves because that issue is unimportant and deserves no further mention around here.You have to get behind your team not worry about what the fans are doing,they are not hurting them,they are booing them,big deal.They have heard booing in every NCAA and CHL rink and every damn minor hockey rink they've ever played in before and this should be old hat.It is to our guys for sure.

It's international hockey guys and you're now one of the big boys having success........welcome to the show!!!

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Jazz said:
I made some comments and posted some pictures form this game here

I was also lucky enough to speak Bob Nicholson after this game! :handclap: I summarized that conversation in the same link above.

nice pictures , thanks !

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
naihlflames said:
Because chanting US $ucks crossed the line.

Don't worry man! I have it all taken care of. Back in 1994 I heard a Canadian Boo an American and I swore from that day on that no Canadian team will ever hoist the Stanley Cup.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
L3DZ3P said:
Yep and the canadians easily handled the russian 8-1

EXACTLY!!!

If a team as crappy as the Russian beat Switzerland 5-0 while USA only manages a tie... the Americans have something to worry about! If Russia didnt lose to Canada and was actually good it would be a little easier to dismiss.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Slitty said:
EXACTLY!!!

If a team as crappy as the Russian beat Switzerland 5-0 while USA only manages a tie... the Americans have something to worry about! If Russia didnt lose to Canada and was actually good it would be a little easier to dismiss.

I hope you're joking. Russia was without their best player(easily the best player in the tournament) and mailed in the game to begin with. Neither the USA or Canada will be so lucky a second time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad