WJC Group A: Dec 30 GDT - USA vs. Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
St.Louis sports fan said:
I wasn't able to watch last year's tourney, but I hope the US fans didn't do this to team Canada.

I was there. There were waaaaay more Canadian fans in the building than Americans. Probably at least 8-1 ratio during every Team Canada game.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
does sprunger have a legit shot at reaching the NHL and being adequate?

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
This should quiet a bunch of the "what's wrong with Canada stuff".

Credit to the Swiss. They played into the "underdog" role very well and have played a very strong tournament. Good for them.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I was starting to worry a bit about team Canada. If the USA really beat Switerzland I thought that Canada would have a difficult time beating the Americans. I still however, think that Canada will be the underdog going into tomorrow's game. A couple of questions about tonight's game. First, how did the Americans play and second how was the ref?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
canucksfan said:
I was starting to worry a bit about team Canada. If the USA really beat Switerzland I thought that Canada would have a difficult time beating the Americans. I still however, think that Canada will be the underdog going into tomorrow's game. A couple of questions about tonight's game. First, how did the Americans play and second how was the ref?

This was a tie game because the Swiss played well enough to tie it. The Americans did not play atrociously. They may not have played to their best, but this was not an American team that can come out and say "we stunk out there."

The officiating in the first two periods was bang on. The third period it was a little shaky, but still nothing even beginning to compare to last night. Mostly the questionnable penalties were the aggression calls that there always are in these type of events.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Tomorrow's game should be the best game of the round robin, as long as the referee lets both teams knock the hell out of each other out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I didn't watch the game (just listened) so my viewpoint is a bit limited, but first of all, full marks to the Swiss. They played Canada very tight, and did the same with the U.S. The U.S. team didn't capitalize on the momentum created by scoring the first two goals, and Switzerland took advantage, along with some key power play opportunities. It didn't sound like the U.S. played poorly, as a matter-of-fact the penalty killing and goaltending was very good. The offense was snuffed out, and that's a bit of a surprise to me. Should be a very even match-up again't Canada tomorrow. At this point, I think Canada deserves the edge, because I'm not sure the U.S. will bring complete effort. We'll see.

Macman

May 15, 2004
People need to grow up and get a life. Of course, the Canadian fans were cheering the Swiss. We want first in the division and a bye into the semis and the Americans are the biggest obstacle to getting it.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Rabid Ranger said:
I didn't watch the game (just listened) so my viewpoint is a bit limited, but first of all, full marks to the Swiss. They played Canada very tight, and did the same with the U.S. The U.S. team didn't capitalize on the momentum created by scoring the first two goals, and Switzerland took advantage, along with some key power play opportunities. It didn't sound like the U.S. played poorly, as a matter-of-fact the penalty killing and goaltending was very good. The offense was snuffed out, and that's a bit of a surprise to me. Should be a very even match-up again't Canada tomorrow. At this point, I think Canada deserves the edge, because I'm not sure the U.S. will bring complete effort. We'll see.

Actually, I disagree. This tie is the best thing for the US (and the worst thing for Canada). I think the Americans are gonna come out angry tomorrow. My feeling is that this game was a wake up call for the Americans. Team Canada will have to be nearly perfect to just tie.

The tie with the Swiss was the worst thing that could happen to Canada but I'm hoping for great hockey tomorrow.

May the best team win. :cheers:

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
onice said:
Actually, I disagree. This tie is the best thing for the US (and the worst thing for Canada). I think the Americans are gonna come out angry tomorrow. My feeling is that this game was a wake up call for the Americans. Team Canada will have to be nearly perfect to just tie.

The tie with the Swiss was the worst thing that could happen to Canada but I'm hoping for great hockey tomorrow.

May the best team win. :cheers:

If the US $ucks chant from the end of the game does not fire up the US squad for tomorrow, nothing will. I just hope the refs let the two teams play (was the call that put us 2 men down and gave the Swiss the tieing goal a good or cheap call?). Anyway, may the best team win tomorrow.

St.Louis sports fan

Mar 1, 2002
St. Louis
Visit site
The Canadian posters' whole argument about rooting against the US is garbage plain and simple. I'm pretty much a hockey fanatic. I watch every Blues game and any other hockey I can get my hands on. I have Canadian friends that tape the World Jrs. for me year to year so I can watch the games and no matter what pool the Canadians are in I root for them except against the US. I don't think I'm better than Canadians thus my team and my team only should win. That's BS. I own a team Canada Sakic jersey and several team Canada sweatshirts and t-shirts as well, but I gotta say that as a fan base you guys are Busch-league all the way... No class and no respect for your opponent. My original post was to state that as an American player the way the fans are treating them they should've been fired up to play and hope they come to play tomorrow night. Congrats to the Swiss for a good game. Good luck tomorrow for whomever you root for.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Wow, congrats to the Swiss team. Definately came from behind in this tournament and showed real grit. :clap:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Truth be told out-side of each teams 1st game, Canada and the US have left a lot to be desired IMO. Both are coming off of 2 non-spectacular games, and hopefully this game won't be a dud and it will be more like the 2 best teams playing against each-other and hating to lose. This has got to have team Russia licking their chops in the hopes that neither of these 2 are as strong as they've been hyped to be.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So Sprunger had a good game? Yay! He has the size to be in the NHL...He had a poor outing last year too...

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
naihlflames said:
(was the call that put us 2 men down and gave the Swiss the tieing goal a good or cheap call?).

I just saw the highlights, if the Jack Johnson cross-check was the call that put the US two men down than it was a very obvious call no matter the situation. Johnson nearly took the guys head off.
If the Wheeler trip put them two men down, than I couldn't say, b/c they didn't show it....

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
Boomhower said:
I just saw the highlights, if the Jack Johnson cross-check was the call that put the US two men down than it was a very obvious call no matter the situation. Johnson nearly took the guys head off.
If the Wheeler trip put them two men down, than I couldn't say, b/c they didn't show it....

It was the Johnson call that put them two men down, a little over a minute into Wheelers penalty.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Does this effect USA's general status of co-favourites or according to Americans the lone favourites? I know exhibition doesn't count, but Russia easily handled that Swiss team 5-0 in their second exhibition game.

Randall Graves*

They were trapping, if you do it right you can make up the talent gap(see NHL 2 years ago)

Randall Graves*

to anyone that was there, what was the ice time situation? There was no overplaying of the role players and watching the ice time of kessel, schremp, ryan, johnson(x2) type thing going on was there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad