WJC Group A: Dec 26 GDT - Finland vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Canada was nothing like what I expect. Not that impressive in terms of inviduals, but they play better as a team than many other Team Canadas I've seen.

Team Finland, well less said the better. That we lack scorers is nothing new, but I still wonder what happened to our dman production. We used turn out by the dozen these guys who were perhaps bit undersized and not that talented, like Lasse Kukkonen, but still fundamentally solid.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Tuomo#1 said:
The good part of today's loss is that Ramo will get to start now :handclap:

What's up with Rask.. How many of the 5 goals were scored from a brutal rebound?
I saw at least 2..

This kid could control his rebounds and he would be impressive with his acrobatics.

Never did see Ramo play.. Let's hope he does better than Tuukka.

Phanuthier*

Personally, it was nice to see both players (and forwards!) of the game be Calgary Flames property (Seitsonen, Boyd).

Anyone else think this looks like a "Sutter win" ? Of coarse, HF probably doesn't like the idea of Team Canada being related to anything Flames like :sarcasm: but that looked alot like the Flames with more firepower.

And finally... it was nice to get a big win, but I'm not sure if the guns scoring today were the team's game breakers. I'm interested in seeing who (if any) are the team's game breakers, when we'll need them when Team Canada is down a goal with a minute left.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
That was a nice win for Canada. If people still think the USA is the "heavy favourite" I think they need to take another look. The US would have to be one hell of a team to be heavily favoured over what I saw today. Outstanding coverage and defense of the rush; no one was beat 1 on 1, and hardly any mistakes in zonal coverage down low. Great forecheck, particularly on the pk. Lots of turnovers created and the Finns had difficulty breaking out all night. Pogge is better than I thought or remember him being, or at least he looked to be tonight.

Individually, I thought Staal had a great game and together with Parent looked very difficult to create anything whatsoever against. I thought Comeau was a demon on the forecheck and on the pk, and really utilised his skating and physical play well. Boyd gives it his all every shift, and it paid off for him tonight. I used to a little wary of Cogliano's size, and I still am to some extent, but he sure looked like it didn't matter tonight. It will be interesting to see if he will be able to shred the American defense the same way as he did the Finnish defense tonight. No one stood out as playing poorly tonight, although Latendresse didn't create much, and I didn't think Barker played the way he's capable of. Letang looked a little shaky, and Bourdon's breakout passes need to get better, and the powerplay although it clicked a couple times could have been better, but overall I really can't complain a whole lot about very much. Interesting that although they used all 13 forwards a fair amount (there was no 13th tonight, although I think Bertram and Pyatt split shifts on the 4th line even strength, but both those guys got lots of pk time) Pokoluk I don't believe hit the ice even a single time.

With that kind of tenacious forecheck, strong penalty killing and most importantly near perfect defensive coverage, I think this team is going to show that experience and age in this tournament are not as important as talent and work ethic, which this team certainly has at the highest level.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Here is what I noticed:

Pogge was very, very solid in nets. Very calm, and amazing positionally.

Russell is tiny, but manages to avoid hits. Very slick with the puck.

Staal/Parent/Bourdon are all big, fast, and mobile. They made smart plays, but nothing too fancy.

Didn't notice Letang really.

I still think Barker is overrated, but he was pretty good.

Comeau-Boyd had great chemistry.

O'Marra is very big and fast, and reminds me quite a bit of Trevor Linden (younger).

Cogliano is the best forward imo, so so creative. Didn't really get to showcase his worldclass speed.

Chipchura is going to be a solid NHL player. Very solid all over the ice.

Downie has sick playmaking skills, and is a great forechecker. Reminds me of Matt Cooke, with better hands..

Didn't really notice Latandresse.

Bertram is a pesky little guy, fast and fiesty.

Pouliot has a great wingspan and good moves. He is very creative and dangerous.

Blunden threw a SICK hit near the beginning, and was pretty good. Big, skilled centre.

Toews was also impressive, reminds me of Brind'Amour out there.. but more skilled up front.

I am probably forgetting a few guys, but all in all a great win, and this team is very gritty, very fast, and very intense.

Should be a fun few weeks here. What I love about Sutter teams is that they are vicious, but clean. The Fins got a bit angry, and took some undisciplined penalties at the end of the 3rd.

jay-P

Dec 21, 2005
Finland
I observed the game and here's a thought. First of all, I was extremely impressed with Cogliano. He was Canada's main offensive catalyst, and the only one who could create scoring chances all by himself. Of course, the game was lopsized quite early on, so the abuse from finnish defensemen wasn't so stiff. But his slick skating and nifty puck possession bodes well for the upcoming games.

High flyin' Habs*

I dont know whats up with Lats. Maybe all he cares about is the Habs?

And why arent there highlights of the game on tsn?

Jazz

canucksfan said:
How do you think the crowd was compared to Halifax and Winnipeg? I thought the crowd would have been much louder than it was.
It is still early in the tournament.

I was at both Vancouver games today, and while I agree there was a bit lacking, also understand that in order to accomodate TSN, all Canadian games are at 4pm local time, when a lot of people are still at work...

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Just watched the game and it was pretty much what I expected. Canada dominated and Finland couldn`t create much of a scoring changes.

Still I would say this was encouraging for Finns. It was first game in the tournament, Canada was playing in front of home crowd (not so loud though). I think we can improve our game and if me meet Canada another time in this tournament our boys will play better now when they now how Canada plays. I don`t expect Finland to win Canada, but give harder resistance.

Tukonen, Lindgren and Komarov were our best players even if none of them cound`t create much. Joensuu and Rask were disappointments.

I have a feeling that against USA we will play better, cause them aren`t as physical as Canada. We should be able to create some offense.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
cyclops said:
I like Parent a lot too.Seems to be a no-nonsense general(or corporal) out there.

Really? I thought he was playing on a different level, and I don't mean a higher one. Maybe I was just expecting more from a 1st round pick...

espo*

NightScout said:
Really? I thought he was playing on a different level, and I don't mean a higher one. Maybe I was just expecting more from a 1st round pick...
Hmmm........he was steady and nothing got done on him all night.Don't see why you did'nt care for him. :dunno:

luv_canadian_hockey

Jul 1, 2005
Mississauga
cyclops said:
I swear,it might be the beer.................but i don't think he's played a second yet.

Pokuluk didnt play a single shift...i was kinda looking forward to watching him play

Overall, Canada did an awesome job..it was fun to watch

the best part...half of the team can come back next year :yo:

espo*

luv_canadian_hockey said:
Pokuluk didnt play a single shift...i was kinda looking forward to watching him play

Overall, Canada did an awesome job..it was fun to watch

the best part...half of the team can come back next year :yo:
Well,it was a message from Sutter to him,it's not an easy meassage to get but for young guys it is sometimes the only way to get it......................he needs to step up his game,we can't afford him playing the way he did in exhibition.For a guy his size and with his good skating,he needs to be more physical and stop making bad decisions while getting beat left and right by opposing forwards.He's a better player then that.................he needs to get it in gear.If he needs to sit on bench to do that,that's where Sutter will have him.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
cyclops said:
Well,it was a message from Sutter to him,it's not an easy meassage to get but for young guys it is sometimes the only way to get it......................he needs to step up his game,we can't afford him playing the way he did in exhibition.For a guy his size and with his good skating,he needs to be more physical and stop making bad decisions while getting beat left and right by opposing forwards.He's a better player then that.................he needs to get it in gear.If he needs to sit on bench to do that,that's where Sutter will have him.
If he was that much of a disappointment during the exhibition games , then what is he doing on the team? Hard to believe he could not get a shift in late in the game but perhaps he'll get off the bench against the Swiss and Norweigans.

espo*

SwisshockeyAcademy said:
If he was that much of a disappointment during the exhibition games , then what is he doing on the team? Hard to believe he could not get a shift in late in the game but perhaps he'll get off the bench against the Swiss and Norweigans.
I agree.Up to this point one would have to wonder why another player does'nt have his spot.The coaching staff must have seen something they liked at camp,he just has'nt displayed it in the games he's played yet.Last night........he did'nt get to play at all.I suspect you'll see him get a chance to redeem himself in the next game though.All the best Sasha.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I was impressed the Parent at the Predators camp. He seems to have very good speed, especially for someone his size.

How did he look in this game? And how does he compare with Weber as a shut down guy (although they both use different ways to shut-down)?

Hockeycanada*

triggrman said:
I was impressed the Parent at the Predators camp. He seems to have very good speed, especially for someone his size.

How did he look in this game? And how does he compare with Weber as a shut down guy (although they both use different ways to shut-down)?
Parent played solid positional play and wasn't very noticeable because he didn't make many mistakes. On the other hand, last year Weber was very noticeable on the ice because of the big hits he threw.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
High flyin' Habs said:
I dont know whats up with Lats. Maybe all he cares about is the Habs?

And why arent there highlights of the game on tsn?

Lats apparently was used as the 13th forward... IMO he has to be used more in order to be a force. Also, I think he will be very beneficial to the Canadians later in the tournament. He is something else once he gets rolling...

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Ghost # 1 said:
Lats apparently was used as the 13th forward... IMO he has to be used more in order to be a force. Also, I think he will be very beneficial to the Canadians later in the tournament. He is something else once he gets rolling...
Latendresse was not the 13th. He was slotted on the second or third line playing on the left side of Boyd and Comeau. He took even strength shifts there most of the night, although Downie also took some shifts there later on in the game, and got a ton of pp time throughout the game. Canada didn't really have a 13th last night, everyone played. Even if his even strength ice time did decrease later on in the game, there was so plenty of special teams so it didn't make a huge difference. It will be interesting to see what lines Canada goes with now and whether Downie will take his spot on that line.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
gib said:
I have a feeling that against USA we will play better, cause them aren`t as physical as Canada. We should be able to create some offense.

I hate to burst your bubble, but the US has some very physical players, and by many accounts were playing physical against Norway. So don't be surprised if the Finns get played tough and hard against the US.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
In regards to Pokulok, Coach Sutter said something along these lines when asked about him in the post-game press conference.

"We have said defencemen and obviously six of them played."

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Bryanbryoil said:
I hate to burst your bubble, but the US has some very physical players, and by many accounts were playing physical against Norway. So don't be surprised if the Finns get played tough and hard against the US.

Sure I won`t be suprised if there is couple of physical guys in team USA. I myself was speaking generally about physical play. Yeah, I know USA doesn`t play soft, but USA`s style of play isn`t as physical as Canada`s. If it`s I am indeed suprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->