WJC Group A: Dec 26 GDT - Finland vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
cyclops said:
Pouliot was fine and took a lot of ********* calls if you ask me.I'm impressed with him.He can skate,he has good hands,Sutters got him fired up and he sees the ice competently.If we win......................he'll be a big part of it i garuntee.
I thought he played good but he needs to step up his offence game. He needs to generate more offence but I am not that worried about him. On the other hand, Latendresse really needs to get going.

espo*

canucksfan said:
Staal and Parent
Yep,Parent you did'nt even hear about and with him that is definately a good thing(he's not bryan leetch circa 1995),means nary a thing happened to hurt us on any play...............he's smart and tough,i like him.Top d-pair no question.How much will we be have to ride them to win it all? I hope not so much because we need guys like Barker to assert themselves.He did'nt play bad just needs to be a bigger cog that's all.

hameenlinna

Aug 10, 2005
Our boys really looked scared there. Especially Seppänen and Leinonen were shy and out of place all the time. Jokinen seemed really good but didn't seem to cope with the amount of ice time he logged.

Did we have any forwards there? Komarov looked decent, Joensuu sucked. Wirtanen was awesome at times. Did Mikko Lehtonen dress at all? What's his number?

Rask didn't impress - at all. Let's see what Rämö can do against the yanks.

Solid game by Canada but a lot to improve if you want to go all the way. Pogge was good. Cogliano was awesome.

espo*

FLYLine88 said:
Thanks, great to hear....now i wish I could watch. :madfire:

Least i'll be able to watch one Canada game.
The Canada - U.S game.........................and i can just about garuntee it....................will be about the most kick-*** game of hockey we'll get all year.I really believe it's gonna be that great.All the signs are there.

sidelines

I unfortunately missed the game. Can someone give me a scouting report on how Cogliano looked? Thanks.

espo*

hameenlinna said:
Our boys really looked scared there. Especially Seppänen and Leinonen were shy and out of place all the time. Jokinen seemed really good but didn't seem to cope with the amount of ice time he logged.

Did we have any forwards there? Komarov looked decent, Joensuu sucked. Wirtanen was awesome at times. Did Mikko Lehtonen dress at all? What's his number?

Rask didn't impress - at all. Let's see what Rämö can do against the yanks.

Solid game by Canada but a lot to improve if you want to go all the way. Pogge was good. Cogliano was awesome.
You'r re right.........we need to improve but good signs are there.We're under-rated i think....................lot's of talent but not most talented of the teams here.Still...............if we can get a good game call and improve(and i think Sutter will do it) we can win.....................i'm confident of it.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
A good win, a good start to the tournament, but any excitement should be tempered with the knowledge that there is still a long ways to go. Still, a lot to like:
*Cogliano. The Finns had no match for him. It was like watching Mike Cammalleri, circa 2001-02 tournament, out there. An offensive dynamo, with speed and sense to burn.
*"Third" defensive pairing. If the Finns defenders lacked an answer for Cogliano, the forwards didn't have an answer for Parent and Staal. That's the type of defence we need. Big, strong and steady.
*Boyd. Showed a great nose for the net, and a quick release. Comparisons to Larmer are a little exaggerated, but he showed his production in the Dub wasn't a fluke.
*Aggressiveness. The call on Blunden was a croc, but it set the tone early. From the get-go, Canada was finishing their checks. The big hits are nice, and there were a lot, but as long as you finish your checks, I'm happy. A great physical effort.
*Pogge: Goaltending isn't a concern anymore. Didn't face a lot of quality chances, only a few saves stand out, but he was sharp when called upon. Patrick Roy couldn't have stopped the shot on that goal.

It wasn't a perfect game, as there were some hiccups - the penalty that led to the Finns goal and the failure to convert on the 5-on-3 in the third period - but not much to complain about. It would have been nice to see a little more urgency from our other defencemen, especially Barker, but hopefully that will come with the increased competition.

Expect to see Pogge and Dubnyk each get a start over the next two games. The game vs. the U.S. should decide first in the pool and the team that gets that all-important first-round bye.

One thing to note: two years ago, we went into the tournament with a younger team that few expected to be in the gold medal game. The first game was against the Finns. (Who hosted the tournament and wound up finishing third). Canada completely controlled all aspects of the game, held the Finns to about a dozen shots, and the only reason Canada didn't obliterate their opponents was the play of Finnish goalie Hannu Toivonen. Canada gained a lot of momentum from that game, and only a collapse in the third period kept them from the gold.

espo*

Mr. Newsflash Man said:
I unfortunately missed the game. Can someone give me a scouting report on how Cogliano looked? Thanks.
He was more dominant offensively in the ex-games but still had a real good game here.He's a good player.One thing i could say for improvement with him...................his stops on his cuts could be done better.He needs to step into the ice better and then when he whirls looking for guys he'll be better able to set them up because the passes he'll make are based on solid footing and they'll hit the tape more.That stuff is all leg work for the first 4 seconds.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
canucksfan said:
On the other hand, Latendresse really needs to get going.

Hard to do so when you have become the team's 13th forward.

The first few shifts he had were far from great, but he didn't get the opportunity to get back into it. Can't blame Coach Sutter for that though. Every other forward was playing solid hockey. Latendresse will have to utilize the physical aspect more, just like Ryan O'Marra and Dan Bertram.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Finland played a streaky game... They were awful at times and showed flashes of competence (especially when they killed off that long 2 man power play).

Rask looked ok out there. He can handle the puck and made some brilliant acrobatic saves, but he gives out awful rebounds which must be controlled better to have any real success.

Canada is once again the team to beat at these championships.. They pounded Russia 8-1, and manhandled Finland 5-1.... Looks a bit like the team from last year.

espo*

finska said:
Finland played a streaky game... They were awful at times and showed flashes of competence (especially when they killed off that long 2 man power play).

Rask looked ok out there. He can handle the puck and made some brilliant acrobatic saves, but he gives out awful rebounds which must be controlled better to have any real success.

Canada is once again the team to beat at these championships.. They pounded Russia 8-1, and manhandled Finland 5-1.... Looks a bit like the team from last year.
We have way more work to do here in all honesty.With all due respect to Finland,we are going to face way better fore-checks here soon and with a d-corps and strategy that is much harder to handle then what Finland showed tonight.I agree we have been under-rated coming into this tourney but we do not have the offensive zone skating other teams wiill have that are here.We have to shore up defensively on fast rushes and learn how to better take care of offemsive opportunities to win this year

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
AskMe
Leafs prospects-

Not very pleased with Rask's game, he can make the occasional impressive save but he seemed off balance all night and extremely clumsy out there. And my god was his rebound control absolutely atrocious. A poor game all around, he just didn't seem comfortable at all. He's capable of more then he showed tonight... Ramo absolutely deserves the next start.

Pogge was quite solid, the lone goal wasn't his fault at all and while he didn't have much work he was always there when needed and din't appear to have any difficulty. His puck handling skills were excellent.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Aside from the penalties that game was all Canada, all the time. Even with the penalties, there was never any indication that Finland was ever going to come close. Honestly, it looked like Canada let up after going ahead 3-0.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Kyle Chipchura said:
Hard to do so when you have become the team's 13th forward.

The first few shifts he had were far from great, but he didn't get the opportunity to get back into it. Can't blame Coach Sutter for that though. Every other forward was playing solid hockey. Latendresse will have to utilize the physical aspect more, just like Ryan O'Marra and Dan Bertram.
He became Canada's 13th forward by playing poorly to begin with. The reason why he is on the team is to create offence and if he's not doing that he is pretty useless. I have said it a lot now and I would still put him with Cogliano.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
A good game but by no means a dominating game by Canada in my mind. They played an outstanding second period but the first and third periods were sketchy at best. Pogge was solid in there as was Staal and Parent at the back. I have been somewhat disappointed with the play of Barker and Bourdon so far. Maybe I've been expecting too much from Barker and bought into the Bourdon hype around here but they have been less than outstanding in my opinion and will need to pick up their play for Canada to win gold.

Up front, I was impressed with Comeau, Cogliano, Downie, Boyd, and Blunden played exceptionally I thought. At the same time Toews, Pouliot and Latendresse in particular need to improve in this game. The special teams were good, not great from a Canadian standpoint.

I thought another area for concern was faceoffs or was that just me :dunno: Canada seemed to lose a ton of draws especially in comparison to other years. I can't wait for Canada USA on new years eve :) .

espo*

djtino224 said:
I'm just popping to ask how Islanders prospect, Ryan O'Marra looked?

:)
He grinds,oh baby he grinds,tough guy!!.Scoring touch is a different story but with a good coach..........................it's possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
djtino224 said:
I'm just popping to ask how Islanders prospect, Ryan O'Marra looked?

:)

He didn't really stand out and that may not be such bad thing. He plays on the grind line with guys like Bertram, Pyatt, and Downie and the line was just ferocious on the forecheck all game long. Offensively though, I don't recall him having any great chances or anything like that.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Andrew_11 said:
A good game but by no means a dominating game by Canada in my mind. They played an outstanding second period but the first and third periods were sketchy at best. Pogge was solid in there as was Staal and Parent at the back. I have been somewhat disappointed with the play of Barker and Bourdon so far. Maybe I've been expecting too much from Barker and bought into the Bourdon hype around here but they have been less than outstanding in my opinion and will need to pick up their play for Canada to win gold.

Up front, I was impressed with Comeau, Cogliano, Downie, Boyd, and Blunden played exceptionally I thought. At the same time Toews, Pouliot and Latendresse in particular need to improve in this game. The special teams were good, not great from a Canadian standpoint.

I thought another area for concern was faceoffs or was that just me :dunno: Canada seemed to lose a ton of draws especially in comparison to other years. I can't wait for Canada USA on new years eve :) .
In my opinion playing fairly well still added up to domination of the game. At no time did I feel the Finns could threaten. many of their players were intimidated by Canada's size and speed. As you say there are things like draws , special teams play and puck management issues that will need to be ironed out. They have to be pleased to dominate without playing their best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->