Status
Not open for further replies.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
WJC Gold Medal Game: Jan 5 GDT - Canada vs. USA

2004wjc_canusa_e.gif

Two undefeated teams meeting eachother, at no better time.

I hate to say it but,

USA-2 Canada-1

Last edited:

BCCHL inactive

The game doesn't start for another day and a half.

This will be for Pre-Game Discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Im gonna get hammered for this but hey! I predict a one sided game for canada where they will dominate this game easily. The U.S will b their biggest opposition in the tournament but they dont have enough personnel to keep up with Canada. Canada has 4 lines, they are bigger,strong, fast skilled, in your face, relentless, i mean if th U.S want to make a game out of it it is imperative that they score the first goal and even there... The Getzlaf-Burns-Carter will be too much for the U.S with the Richards-Stewart-Dawes to wear them down, the paillé lin will punish them and Sydney Croby line to put the finishing touch.

If the U.S want to win they have to play a perfect game and play more than two lines cuz Canada is gonna keep it coming during 60 mins with 4 lines and 6 d-men. The U.S do have some skills and speed and maybe more than any U.S team at this tournament but it wont be enough. Mike Eaves has to come up with the speech of his life cuz I dont remeber seen a Canadian team that strong that big that skilled. Take shots at me but thats my point. I dont see how the U.S can beat canada but thats why they play the game....

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
I am going to go with jcpenney on this one. There is a lot of talent on the US squad and I know they were favoured going in, but the Canadian squad has improved every game and the contrast between their game against Finland and the USA game is stark.

Canada by 5. And watch the players stay away from Phaneuf.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
The way I look at these two teams is that they are pretty much evenly skilled on the top two lines. Lines 3 and 4 aren't even worth comparing, we all know that the Canadians 3-4 lines are significantly stronger than the Americans. That said, that won't be a factor, because we'll only see lines 3-4 for a few seconds during the game from teh US, and honestly, I don't think we'll see much of Team Canada's 4th line guys except in special teams situations.

Team USA is faster.

Team Canada is bigger and stronger.

I'm not certain that the slight advantage in speed is enough to compensate to the significant strength difference between the two teams. In what will be a North American style game, I believe that will play a larger role.

What this game is going to come down to is can the "big 3" American defenceman over come the bruising style of many of Canada's forwards. Unless I am really under-estimating Stuart-Suter-Wisnieski, I don't believe that they are going to be able to handle the constant barrage from especially the top line and Stewart/Paille.

I think that the first period will be close, and the first half of the second period, but I expect...not the floodgates per se, but definitely a dominance by Team Canada.

Team Canada's defence matches up better with the Team USA forwards, I feel. Guys like Belle and Meech are extremely fast, and especially Belle will be a huge factor in the game. Plus, I really think that people are going to be leery of Phaneuf after the Olesz hit.

In net, Montoya has played well, no doubt....but I stand by my earlier prediction that in the end, MA Fleury will backstop Canada to gold. The day off is going to do Fleury wonders I think, and I also think that he's more likely to show up huge in a big game than Montayo because of his experience. Besides, there is absolutely no doubting who is the better goaltender.

It will be a good game for sure. My prediction is Team Canada over Team USA 4-1.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If the U.S. can somehow contain Canada's more physical forwards *we* have a chance. If not, I think it could get ugly. I think either the U.S. will win by a goal, or will get blown out, no middle ground. To that end, I have two predictions:

1) If the U.S. can nuetralize (to a certain extent) Canada's physicality, perform well on special teams, and Montoya is as good as he was against Finland, then I think it will be 3-2 U.S.

2) If the above doesn't happen and Canada runs amok in the U.S. zone, than I think the score will be 5-1 Canada.

Last edited:

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
DeathFromAbove said:
Do you believe in miracles? Yes!!!!
USA wins 4-3.
OK... a miracle is a bit of a stretch but hey, the movie is coming out soon so I thought I should allude to it.
You'd think that with the Disney movie coming out - coinciding with the US in Gold Medal competition, that ESPN would connect the dots and use the WJCs to help market the movie and vice versa.
But NOOOOO...all we will probably get is cursory coverage on SportSCenter and NHL2Night while ESPN shows billiards and poker when the game is being played.
Thank you ABC hypocrites!
:mad:
I just hope the US wins and Parise does well.

eh

I've only seen USA play one game (the semifinal against Finland), but to me Canada has looked like a championship team all the way from beginning. USA did exactly what they had to against the somewhat tired Team Finland, but I don't think they can match the physical dominance of Team Canada with anything.

Montoya was absolutely superb against Team Finland, but the Canadian offense, especially the powerplay is from another planet compared to any other team in the tournament. There is a slight possibility that he could steal the game for the US anyway. Fleury hasn't had the chance to shine yet and has clearly had some problems with facing so few shots. This is his chance to show that he's in fact the best goalie of the tournament.

I'm predicting a victory to Team Canada. The score could be anything between 2-0 to 5-1.

finzup77r

Apr 9, 2003
Boston
Visit site
NJDevs430 said:
You'd think that with the Disney movie coming out - coinciding with the US in Gold Medal competition, that ESPN would connect the dots and use the WJCs to help market the movie and vice versa.
But NOOOOO...all we will probably get is cursory coverage on SportSCenter and NHL2Night while ESPN shows billiards and poker when the game is being played.
Thank you ABC hypocrites!
:mad:
I just hope the US wins and Parise does well.
I doubt they would even show it on sport center, it will be on NHL2Night, but the only other thing ESPN might do is show the score on the bottom of the screen maybe, I thought ABC was championship televission, I 'd say this is a championship game wouldn't you

chicpea*

This game will be good indeed. But if Canada scores first and early (as they have done all tournament), then look out! I say 4-2 Canada with Colliton with the empty-netter. And if it's a breakaway empty-netter, he won't pump his fist in the air like the hotdog Kovalchuk did...

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
Ive seen 4 canadian games and 1 usa game. Im rooting for the USA team, but they didnt seem to dominate like the canadians in most of their games. So I believe the canadians will win. Like I said though ive only seen 1 usa game, so i could be way off in my judgements.

What id like to see, 2-1 usa OT

What i will probably see , 3-1 canada

IceMelter

Feb 23, 2003
The Wack
Weren't the US considered to be the favorites coming into this?

The team contains mostly 84 born players compared to Canadas 85 making them a more older and experienced group, not to mention the speed and talent they have, although the questioning is in net I don't think it's that bad.

Both teams are undefeated however I think USA had a harder group to be in, I can't see Canada dominating this game like some say, it just doesn't seem right seeing how USA was the favorite coming into it, what has changed that opinion?

Is it based on how each team played Finland? Because one was for a win in the pool while one was for advancing to the gold medal game, a little different.

Perhaps it was the dominance of Team Canada over Czechs in the recent Semi Final.

Just curious as to how USA has become the favorites too now becoming the underdogs, that's to those who predict a Canadian domination.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
KillerWhale said:
Just curious as to how USA has become the favorites too now becoming the underdogs, that's to those who predict a Canadian domination.

A big factor is that much like you, a lot of people here have only seen the Canadian games. Who do I pick? Canada to win. Why? My reason is that honestly, I can't remember a team Canada being so dominant physically and on the scoreboard in this tourney in recent history. Maybe it's the teams in our group being weak this year, but it really amazes me how in all our games save one against Finland, it looked like men vs boys out there.

I would have preferred having the US or Russia in our group as a measuring stick, but we'll see.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If the Canadians (Burns) can stay out of the box, Parise should stay off the scoresheet. 4-3 Canada.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Well I'd really love for this to be a very close game. The WJC's and especially the gold medal game are so much better when the game is close, and those OT games in the medal round are intense and some of the best hockey you'll ever watch.

However, as much as I love the team the US has iced this year, I've really come to realize how absolutely dominant this Canadian team has been this year. They havent really been contested yet, and the domination physically has been at another level.

The Key for the US is their defense IMO and not Montoya. The US defense has a pretty good blend of speed and skill and strength and physical nature. Ryan Suter, Mark Stuart, Matthew Carle looked good against a pretty physical Finnish team and if they can neutralize Canada's attack, Montoya doesn't exactly have to be super human.

I believe this is Canada's game however and to throw out a prediction, how about 6-3 Canada.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
KillerWhale said:
Weren't the US considered to be the favorites coming into this?

The team contains mostly 84 born players compared to Canadas 85 making them a more older and experienced group, not to mention the speed and talent they have, although the questioning is in net I don't think it's that bad.

Both teams are undefeated however I think USA had a harder group to be in, I can't see Canada dominating this game like some say, it just doesn't seem right seeing how USA was the favorite coming into it, what has changed that opinion?

Is it based on how each team played Finland? Because one was for a win in the pool while one was for advancing to the gold medal game, a little different.

Perhaps it was the dominance of Team Canada over Czechs in the recent Semi Final.

Well I'm not sure that the US played in the better pool. Three of the top four finalists will be from Group A (Canada, Finland, Czech Republic).

I think its just the fact that Canada hasnt really been tested yet at all. They have absolutely ran over every team they have faced so far, and the physical domination of the team has really been astounding. While the USA has been winning, I think the reason that most are predicting somewhat of a blowout is because of how much more convincing Canada's wins have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad