WJC Gold Medal Game: Game Day Thread - Canada vs. USA (3-4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Wow, ton of homers here.

I think these two teams are extremely close. A one goal game, likely in overtime (or worse).

I'm thinking 3-2 US, and hoping that I'm wrong.

Belgian Fan

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm thinking it will be closer than the previous games for Canada, but they'll still come through to win it:4-3 for Canada.

I'm hoping I'm wrong though, I'd like the underdog to win it for once and the US surely deserves a gold medal at the WCJ's for once.

leafaholix*

PecaFan said:
Wow, ton of homers here.

I think these two teams are extremely close. A one goal game, likely in overtime (or worse).

I'm thinking 3-2 US, and hoping that I'm wrong.
Oh yeah... predicting Canada will win in a hockey tournament is so wrong.

Stupid homers... ignorant fools.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
There's a big difference between simply predicting a win, and predicting blowouts 7-3 etc.

There is no reason to think that we're going to run away from the US, and clean the ice with them. Everyone has been saying how weak Fleury has been. The US were the pre-tournament favourites. They're undefeated, they've looked extremely good.

With the way most folks are predicting, you'd think it was Canada vs Afghanistan in the finals.

tml_hockey

Jan 3, 2004
Visit site
COMMENT: "There's a big difference between simply predicting a win, and predicting blowouts 7-3 etc."

REPLY: The difference is.. one is a blow out the other is not.

COMMENT: "There is no reason to think that we're going to run away from the US, and clean the ice with them."

REPLAY: Why not? Canada has blown out teams in 3 Games. These same teams that have given the US a hard time.

COMMENT: "Everyone has been saying how weak Fleury has been."

REPLY: Lack of shots will do it to you. How can you look stellar without shots? You're only as good as your opponents.

COMMENT: "The US were the pre-tournament favourites. They're undefeated, they've looked extremely good."

REPLY: Maybe on paper and by most people do to the fact they were the most experience team. I don't consider any team that has never won a gold to be favourite. Canada is always the favourite in every tournament, so they dont' really get hyped at much.

COMMENT: "With the way most folks are predicting, you'd think it was Canada vs Afghanistan in the finals."

REPLY: If the americans use only 2 lines thru the entire game, it could pretty much be compared to afghanistan. I dont' really see two lines hitting the canadians throughoutt the game. I'm not really sure where all this firepower is going to come from, since canada has never let in more than 2-3 goals a game.

BCCHL inactive

Thomas Andersson (SWE) will be the referee for this game.

Matt Gunning

Jul 29, 2002
Atlanta
Visit site
Can someone one confirm what time the Gold Medal game comes on CenterIce? Is it 11:30am or noon Eastern Standard time? My plan is to got to a sports bar and ask them to put it up on a big screen and I want to make sure I have the time correct.

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
I checked the schedule starts at 11:00 A.M. eastern time on TSN, not sure if the pre-game show is 30 min or an hour for the gold medal game so I guess I am not much help :lol: but I'll probably watch the pre-game show anyway so it doesn't matter to me.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I like all the people overanalyzing this match as if it were a seven-game series, where all the factors come into play.

It's a single game. Two good teams. The one who wants it more will get the gold.

I think the US will inch out a victory.

Foster

Oct 15, 2003
Fredericton
ATLeditor said:
Can someone one confirm what time the Gold Medal game comes on CenterIce? Is it 11:30am or noon Eastern Standard time? My plan is to got to a sports bar and ask them to put it up on a big screen and I want to make sure I have the time correct.

Like the Sandtrap in Cole Harbour (TSN viewers should pick this one up)

I will go on a limb and say 5 -2 Canada, with one empty net goal.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
tml_hockey said:
Americans are way too small to handle any team and played well with other european teams because most of them dont' hit. The only european team that hit and played the north american style of hockey gave the americans their biggest problems, that being the finns.

You act like the U.S. is Team Ukraine, Yeah, overall, the U.S. is smaller than Canada, but not *that* much smaller. It will be a challenge to handle Canada's size and strength, but not impossible.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
For viewers in Southern Ontario, I just realized that TSN isn't showing the game again at 7:00 because the Leafs are playing Pittsburgh. :shakehead

I'm so glad I decided to tape the pre-game stuff (which they don't show on the re-broadcast) and extended it to 3:00 this afternoon!

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
several hours to game time and usahockey.com is responding with spectacular results. time to move it off the 8088 and dial-up connection

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
chicpea said:
If the USA has to learn about hitting from Finland, they are in bigger trouble than I thought...

You've been knocking the U.S. and betting against the team all week, so this line of thinking isn't a surprise. As for the physical game Finland played, did you even watch the game against the U.S.? Finland is without a doubt the country that plays the closest to the North American (Canadian) style, and they brought it. To suggest otherwise speaks of your ignorance. You act if Finland was a creampuff, when Canada's victory against them was anything but a rout.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
tom_servo said:
I like all the people overanalyzing this match as if it were a seven-game series, where all the factors come into play.

It's a single game. Two good teams. The one who wants it more will get the gold.

I think the US will inch out a victory.

You have a very good point. It is just one game.

That said...I just don't know...I did my own analysis earlier, and made my predictions.

I do think Canada will win, on the assumption that the US D can't contain the forwards.

That said...if the US defence steps up and plays big, this will be an extremely tight game.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
tml_hockey said:
Why not? Canada has blown out teams in 3 Games. These same teams that have given the US a hard time.

Highly suggest you research before you post. The only opponent Canada and the US have had in common was Finland, and the scores were 3-0 and 2-1, hardly different at all.

18:30 - Austria 0-8 United States
15:00 - United States 5-0 Slovakia
16:00 - United States 4-3 Sweden
16:00 - Russia 1-4 United States
SF1 - 19:00 - A1-United States 2-1 Finland

18:30 - Canada 3-0 Finland
15:00 - Canada 7-2 Switzerland
18:30 - Ukraine 0-10 Canada
16:00 - Czech Republic 2-5 Canada
SF2 - 15:00 - B1-Canada 7-1 Czech Republic

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
This should be a fun game.

The US has the speed and some excellent top-end game-breaking players. The transition game will be a major factor in the game.

The Americans transition offense is the fastest among any teams in the tournament, but so long as Canada's forwards come back I can't see the US generating much sustained offense against a much larger Canadian defense that isn't slow themselves.

The US defensemen were fundamentally sound against the Finns but, they had trouble winning one on one battles along the boards even when they were supported and in proper position. It was simply a case of the Finns outmuscling Americans for the puck. With board-work being Canada's strength, I expect to see them dominate down low and generate much of their chances there.

I expect Canada to win. They're too strong and have too many lines with size and speed for the US to handle. The fact is, there's only two defensemen on the US that I'd have much confidence in against Canada, and both have been logging a lot of ice time this tournament. Whether they're tired or not, they can't be on the ice all the time.

I'll predict a 4-3 win.

tml_hockey

Jan 3, 2004
Visit site
"US have had in common was Finland, and the scores were 3-0 and 2-1, hardly different at all."

Hardly different at all?

3 goal difference is barely winning. Canada wasn't hanging on to win in the last few minutes. Canada dominated the finns both physically and in scoring opportunities. Without the oustanding play of the finnish goalie, it could of easily been 6-0.

Lets look at the american game. 1-0 lead throughout the entire game. Under a lot of pressure throughout the game, and was dominated physically by the finns. In the last few minutes desperately clinging to dear life in the hopes they would get a chance to play team canada.

Apparently someone didnt watch both games. 3 goal difference vs 1 goal difference. HARDLY DIFFERENT AT ALL? WHAT HOCKEY SCHOOL ARE YOU FROM?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
mario66 said:
I thought it started at 9:00am. I've actually woke up in time to watch the game. I think Canada will win 3-1 or 3-2, but I'm nervous about this one. ;)

It does start at 9am...on the west coast :)

USA-44 Canada-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->