GDT: WJC Gold Medal Game: Canada vs Sweden @ 5:30 p.m. TSN1

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
World Jrs. is always enjoyable hockey. For whatever reason I didn't get into the tournament as much this year, didn't know the Canadian team as well as normal, but the final was still a great watch. Would rather watch another World Jrs than go back to the Oilers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Feel bad for him? Sure. Feel like he behaved very poorly on international TV, embarrassed his family and disappointed a bunch of kids who look up to him? Absolutely.
Make no mistake, if a Canadian kid did that he'd be crucified in the press for weeks.

Yes it was. Gonna feel like a big letdown watching an Oiler game tomorrow.
ftr. despite what I've stated I don't disagree with this either. I don't doubt either that Canadian Media, if not Canadian NHL teams and GM's would view it as some kind of character flaw. But I think partly because the NA makeup, the identity, can run to puritanical and punitive grounds where actions like this are seen as the sign of a malcontent that would, in earlier times if not now, be deemed requiring punishment of some type. Discipline, sanction, being pulled from the team, etc.

tbh I was almost expecting some soap opera ensuing with the kid asking for the medal back and the fan in the stands and the authorities saying "no, you threw it away, its not yours now forever"

Which takes me to the poignant moment and the color commentary while Team Canada were getting their pictures taken that "Some of these kids will make it to the NHL, some will not, and for many, this is the top moment in hockey that will be remembered forever for the rest of their lives and that regardless of where their path takes them they will eternally be team mates on this team."

Some tears welled up hearing that, and in one sweep, once again, the entire range of emotions is indelibly broadcast.

This isn't just hockey, its fine theater. In Canada, its the stage of our national lives.

Last edited:

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Feel bad for him? Sure. Feel like he behaved very poorly on international TV, embarrassed his family and disappointed a bunch of kids who look up to him? Absolutely.
Make no mistake, if a Canadian kid did that he'd be crucified in the press for weeks.

And if it was a Canadian kid, I'd be saying the same thing. Yeah, it was unsportsmanlike, and not a great thing to do, but I'd rather have that than a player who doesn't mind losing. You could tell how much he wanted to win, which is more than you can say for a lot of players. This idea of crucifying 17 year old kids in the press just doesn't make sense to me.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
That was a terrific hockey game. Canada and Sweden seem to be developing a pretty nice rivalry.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Dahlin accusing Canadians of diving. Didn’t watch the game. We’re the Canuck kids diving?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That was a terrific hockey game. Canada and Sweden seem to be developing a pretty nice rivalry.
Plus I loved that Sweden did us a favor and knocked the Americans out of their own tournament. So I had a warm feeling for them even for that. Also much more enjoyed seeing the nuance, and difference of a NA vs Europe type final vs seeing two NA teams slog it out. I find the interplay of different styles more fascinating. Makes for a better game imo and why international competition is usually a welcome respite.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Dahlin accusing Canadians of diving. Didn’t watch the game. We’re the Canuck kids diving?

No, but the officiating was mighty curious. To put it briefly it was the opposite of the type of officiating that Canada teams used to get in Europe. In short that Sweden got several specious penalty calls, a few borderline, and Canada was in one instance allowed to grab onto a Swedish player with both hands and haul him down backwards and no call. With Ferraro stating in that moment "so nice that the refs are letting them play" except subsequent to that comment Sweden got 4 penalties that were less blatant than the non call.

If I was Sweden I would not at all be pleased with the officiating. That said the Canadian players were smarter and made plays just under the threshold of a call a lot, while some of the Swedish players made ill advised plays. Often the calls on Sweden were the result of Sweden turning the puck over in anycase.

Canada played a smarter game and won. Dahlin could look at that.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Plus I loved that Sweden did us a favor and knocked the Americans out of their own tournament. So I had a warm feeling for them even for that. Also much more enjoyed seeing the nuance, and difference of a NA vs Europe type final vs seeing two NA teams slog it out. I find the interplay of different styles more fascinating. Makes for a better game imo and why international competition is usually a welcome respite.

You sound like you watched a fair amount of the tournament. I didn't pay much attention to the "warm up games" aka: round robin but for the quarter and semi final games and the USA/CR bronze game it sure looked like there were tons of empty seats. The only game (aside from the outdoor one) that had a big crowd Was the gold medal game. Was the WJC a poor draw for crowds this year or were there other factors?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
No, but the officiating was mighty curious. To put it briefly it was the opposite of the type of officiating that Canada teams used to get in Europe. In short that Sweden got several specious penalty calls, a few borderline, and Canada was in one instance allowed to grab onto a Swedish player with both hands and haul him down backwards and no call. With Ferraro stating in that moment "so nice that the refs are letting them play" except subsequent to that comment Sweden got 4 penalties that were less blatant than the non call.

If I was Sweden I would not at all be pleased with the officiating. That said the Canadian players were smarter and made plays just under the threshold of a call a lot, while some of the Swedish players made ill advised plays. Often the calls on Sweden were the result of Sweden turning the puck over in anycase.

Canada played a smarter game and won. Dahlin could look at that.

Makes you wonder if that was the reason why the Captain tossed his medal away in the fashion he did, to send a statement to the iihf.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Comtois embellished once for certain.
But the play Replacement is describing (the “two-hand grab” was a more obvious embellishment by the Swede. He didn’t draw the call. Comtois did. That said, there wasn’t much diving. We were just bigger and heavier on the puck, causing the Swedes to resort to stickwork more often.

Reactions: Night Witch

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Watching the last ten minutes again, it’s obvious the entire Swede bench is infuriated by the interference call with 9:00 left that happened at the point - but it was blatant, he flat out body checks a guy going out of the zone chasing the puck. Not just jams him, but closes and checks. I’d say emotion overruled rationality.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Then the trip drawn by Formenton is obvious - the Swede took his legs out from underneath him on a major scoring chance. That’s a call 10/10 times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad