WJC games to be streamed on TSN Broadband

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
I know a lot of fans in the U.S. are left out in the cold when it comes to seeing WJC games on TSN, but this annoucement today, I believe, will remedy that problem. Here is the info from the news release. I think it's self explanatory.

TSN Launches TSN Broadband, Canada’s First All-Sports Broadband Channel

-- Live sports telecasts, full-length TSN programming, highlights, video and more --
-- TSN to carry 2007 IIHF World Junior Championship live online --

Toronto, ON (December 14, 2006) – TSN announced today it has launched Canada’s first fully programmed all-sports broadband channel. Now playing at www.TSN.ca, TSN Broadband features both short-form and full-length TSN programming on-demand, at broadband speeds with enhanced resolution.

The ad-supported channel is now live and can be accessed from the TSN website, located at www.TSN.ca. Click the branded “TSN Broadband†banner to launch the broadband channel. Viewers have the ability to browse all programs, create and customize their own video play-lists, share content with friends and watch everything in full-screen mode. It’s all available 24/7 to Canadians coast-to-coast.

In addition to providing full-length TSN programs on-demand (details below), TSN Broadband will stream LIVE coverage from various TSN broadcasts, beginning with the upcoming, highly anticipated 2007 IIHF World Junior Championship (Dec. 26 to Jan. 5, 2007). Following the live coverage of each game involving Team Canada and all medal round games, the match-ups will also be available on-demand on TSN Broadband throughout the tournament until January 8. “TSN Broadband is the only place in Canada viewers can see live streaming of entire games from top sporting events. It enhances the viewers’ ability to access key sports programming at their convenience. There’s nothing else like this in the Canadian market,†said Phil King, President, TSN. “As we’ve seen in past years, the World Juniors is one of the most popular sporting events for Canadians. This year’s campaign is the most aggressive and wide-reaching ever for TSN, and marks the first time in Canada live coverage of a game or sporting event will be available to viewers on TV and online simultaneously.â€

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to technological advances, but I'm guessing this is a good thing, right? ;)

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Wow, definitely outstanding stuff.

Some questions immediately spring to mind:

1) Is this available to audiences worldwide (in other words, is it restricted to Canadian IPs)

2) Is it free? (description definitely makes it seem like it)

3) Does it require additional software?

4) Will NHL games on TSN also be broadcast on it?

Regardless of the answers, this is definitely exciting news for myself. I'll be in class all day from January 2nd to the 5th, so it would be great if I could take my computer there and watch the game.

dhasek3910

Sep 21, 2005
Edmonton, AB, Canada
In response to 3), I've found that my FF doesn't need anything beyond a Microsoft ActiveX upgrade...seems to be taking over that A/V page TSN had with the "play clips" "add to reel" section. Although one bad thing is that they've gotten rid of Plays of the Week, Sportscenter Top 10, Highlight of the Night on this TSN Broadband :(

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Would any one know the the software requirements for a Mac? I have reason to believe I need another compenent, given that "TSN's Broadband Highlights" did not work.

Microsoft Active seems to only be compatible with Windows-based computers.

Thanks, it be greatly appreciated, b/c I don't want to have to buy CenterIce merely for the WJC's.

hunter orange

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Awesome!

Thanks for the heads up Fedz and Bob! Please let us know as soon as you hear of any scheduling...This is really good news for all the hockey fans that live outside of Canada or have to travel with their work.

I'm curious to know if TSN or Center Ice or some of the other networks have had any boardroom meetings regarding something more comprehensive for next year's regular season. I for one have had my fingers crossed for something in this regard for the last couple of years.

Any chance you could drop us a few words on this matter, Bob?

-ho

Beaner

Mar 19, 2006
Burnaby
www.whlfans.ca
I just checked out the help section and it states:

Why is The CTV Broadband Network only available in Canada?

The programming for The CTV Broadband Network can come from a variety of sources and content producers. In all cases we only carry Canadian distribution rights to these programs. Our webpages and video player are configured to only stream shows to verified Canadian intenet connections.

Is this in fact true?

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Why would he say "alot of fans in the US are left out in the cold..." if non-Canadian IPs can't get the feed?

Unless Bob Mackenzie wasn't aware of the restriction, i suppose.

well... here's hoping I can find a good Canadian proxy...

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
Wait...my brother-in-law who lives in the US, got the Broadband to work. Unless you guys are talking about the actually live stream, then I'm not sure.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Yawn. Rebranded terms for a video vault.
They switched from WMV to Flash.. re-inventing the wheel is teh awesome.
Until the channel and all its shows are streaming live, its nothing but another marketing gimmick.

Leif

Aug 19, 2005
Seattle
Where do you get Microsoft Active? and should I even bother being as I don't have a canadian proxy thing?

I'm computer Pejorative Slured, but i'd like to watch these games in the US and TSN broadband dosn't work on my computer. So help would be appreciated.

MassiveHabs

Jan 10, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
well i wrote TSN about it, and apparently it's just for Canadian IPs, so...

so how do u fake a canadian IP or switch to it? I will actually be in canada for a few of the games but not many...also if i have the rest of the broadband services workin, why can t i have this one working?

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
so how do u fake a canadian IP or switch to it? I will actually be in canada for a few of the games but not many...also if i have the rest of the broadband services workin, why can t i have this one working?

or is there any free candian proxiesor some trial proxies that i could use a port for a canadian ip?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad