WJC First Team All-Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
BlueAndWhite said:
How do you name player A the best defenseman in the tournament and then don't name him to the All-Star team ?

I can just hear the canadian crowd luuuuuuuucing to that.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
BlueAndWhite said:
How do you name player A the best defenseman in the tournament and then don't name him to the All-Star team ?
Two different groups decide who the best defensemen, top frwd, top goalie and another group decides the all star team.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
That's weird. Staal over Bourdon makes a whole lot more sense to me than the other way around.

Tuff Gong

Nov 6, 2005
Kelowna
blacklabel said:
I'm surprised to see Tukonen there.
He was a very dominant player everytime i saw him play. I'm not surprised to see him. Actually i had chosen these three for 1st line all star. Good on the lads

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
blacklabel said:
I'm surprised to see Tukonen there.
well he played well, even in the games he didn't put up points he was very noticeable. Every game he had a few rushes which had everyone out of their seat. The game against the Swedes where the Finns had no offense Tukonen was a guy who was trying his hardest and never quit and kept trying to do somethign to get a goal. He did pick up an assist on the winner and was a major reason along with Rask for the Finns success. He finished tied for 2nd in points with Malkin, I was very impressed with him. Kings have a great young kid who will be a great player in the future. He just neeeds to start finishing more of his chances.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Im suprised to see Downie there. The only ones i'd agee with is Jack Malkin Raask and maybe Tukonen...he picked it up the 2nd half of the torney it seemed a lot.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
FLYLine88 said:
Im suprised to see Downie there. The only ones i'd agee with is Jack Malkin Raask and maybe Tukonen...he picked it up the 2nd half of the torney it seemed a lot.
If you watched him play he was excellent. I was most impressed with him and Rask from the Finns team, He will go in the corner will take a hit to make a play, and is very quick and has some dazzling moves and very good at bringing up the puck and great on rushes he's going to score some pretty goals in the NHL. :handclap:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Yeah I know he played great and deserves to be there but I would have expected more guys like Kessel or Ryan to be there. But as a Finn I'm happy about the selections.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
My only issue is Bourdon over Staal. Staal was more consistent, more effective, and the guy who shut down every country's top line.

Outside of that, nothing. Downie was an effective all-round player from the first puck drop. Scored, made plays, hit, backchecked, drew penalties. One of the best all-round performances in recent memory. Malkin was a shoo-in. Despite his struggles in the final, he should be unanimous. Tukonen had a strong tournament, I would have liked to see Oshie for the U.S. on the all-star team, but Tukonen plays such a strong all-round game. Will be a prototypical second line power forward for years to come.

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
IIHF is smoking some wackey tobackey. How does Phil Kessel score 11 points and not get named to the all-star team? What about Rask? He got on because of the Sweden game. Otherwise, how does one justify him being on there ahead of Pogge? 1.00 GAA, 3 shutouts.

Canada's D was too good. Bourdon and Staal both deserve to be on the list.

I personally would have gone with:

Forwards: Malkin, Kessel, Tukonen
Defense: Bourdon, Staal
Goalie: Pogge

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Nihilism said:
IIHF is smoking some wackey tobackey. How does Phil Kessel score 11 points and not get named to the all-star team? What about Rask? He got on because of the Sweden game. Otherwise, how does one justify him being on there ahead of Pogge? 1.00 GAA, 3 shutouts.

I personally would have won with:

Points aren't everything. T.J. Oshie was a much better all-round, consistent force than Kessel, who was at his best against Norway and on the PP. A lot of his points were rather forgettable. I think if you asked their teammates, who deserved an all-star selection more, most would say Oshie.

supermoon

Mar 11, 2003
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with Bourdon over Staal. They both played well. It's like saying Adam Foote should make the team over Rob Blake.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Nihilism said:

I personally would have won with:

You answered your own question Pogge had a strong D infront of him, Rask was the main reason why Finland finished where they did. People keep bringing up the game against Sweden like it was his one hit wonder, he was very good against the Swiss team, he was solid against norway, was good in semi -final against Canada and kept the Finns in the game till the 3rd and the goals scored on him were all good game didn't let in a weak goal, He played a strong game today against the States making some big stops and was solid in net. If you watched him play his defense was horrible and there were a lot of times when a frwd was left along with him infront of net and no one took the frwd for example today Bobby Ryan.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
My only issue is Bourdon over Staal. Staal was more consistent, more effective, and the guy who shut down every country's top line.

Staal also had the much superior defensive partner. Bourdon was better at the offensive game so I'd say takes the edge overall and was much more physical. This is one of those things that comes down to personal preference in a player and if anything, it's awesome to see both Staal and Bourdon acknowledged for their great tournaments. Too bad Barker and Parent aren't but this Canadian defense really deserves to have a slot of their own on the all-tourney list as a whole. What a group. :clap:

Nice to see Downie there, he's not going to be the highest scoring player, but he does everything and does it with more effort than anyone else.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Red said:
Staal also had the much superior defensive partner. Bourdon was better at the offensive game so I'd say takes the edge overall and was much more physical. This is one of those things that comes down to personal preference in a player and if anything, it's awesome to see both Staal and Bourdon acknowledged for their great tournaments. Too bad Barker and Parent aren't but this Canadian defense really deserves to have a slot of their own on the all-tourney list as a whole. What a group. :clap:

Nice to see Downie there, he's not going to be the highest scoring player, but he does everything and does it with more effort than anyone else.
And by no means am I upset that Bourdon is on the team. Second time he's been an all-star in an international tournament. As a Canuck fan, I'm thrilled for the kid. I just thought Staal was a little more consistent, and he impressed me so much with the way he (and Parent) dominated the opponent's top line each game.

I guess it amounts to a pick your poison. Congrats to both Staal and Bourdon for their distinctions. (Although it pales to the ultimate distinction of a WJC gold medal).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad