WJC Exhibition tonight on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Head shot Rule is good...

DrMoses said:
Forget their height numbers. Watch the play. Pouliot looked like a giant compared to him.

Maybe Calus was ducking, then it's his own fault.

Either way, the Czechs sure get chippy once the whistle has blown.

I like the International Rule of giving out 5 minutes for a blow to the head. We've seen way too many concussions because of shots to the head that have been delivered by a shoulder/bicep/forearm.

The NFL already penalizes players for blows to the head, not to the extent that Benoit got. It's just 15 yards, which is the stiffest penalty you can take, aside from the spot foul of pass interference.

letterH

Nov 16, 2003
Kamloops, BC
Visit site
Just got back from the game tonight and it was quite entertaining. First of all, the Uni's are bad, just plain bad. They all looked small amd skinny except for Blunden. There were some great hits tonight, especially liked the hits by O'Marra.

Someone actually posted that Bourdon didnt play much because he is sick? Well you werent watching then because he played a lot in every situation. Stephenson and Pokoluk hardly played but the others all played quite a bit. Wasnt thrilled with the D. Loved Bourdon and Staal, they were easily the best two back there. Thought Parent struggled and Letang did as well.

For the forwards, was very impressed by Pouliot, man this guy can play. Also loved Cogliano and Downie. Wasnt expecting to be a fan of Downie but he has some balls and will be good in that role. Was surprised Cogliano didnt see PP time down the strech as he was flying in the first 2 periods. Sutter loves Blunden though as he seemed like he was always on the ice.

The homer in me thought Comeau had a really good game, as did Bertram and Toews. I dont think anyone was bad but lots werent very noticeable.

My top 5 for Canada tonight, Staal, Bourdon, Downie, Toews, Pouliot

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
The O'Marra hit was charging though.. and the Poulliot hit.. I'm not so sure that was a good call, IIHF rules or not. I really expected Downie to take retaliation penalties but he showed good composure - good for him! Latendresse can fire a puck! Cogliano is a bullet train and Toews looks great!

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Doomsday Device said:
IMO, Toews was the best forward and Staal the best defenceman. Both Czech goalies looked good as well so they have a lot of depth there.

Excellent! I had no idea this was on; kind of disappointed I watched San Jose vs. Anaheim instead...although the show Cheechoo put on tonight is worth catching if you've got a minute.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
BigE said:
Excellent! I had no idea this was on; kind of disappointed I watched San Jose vs. Anaheim instead...although the show Cheechoo put on tonight is worth catching if you've got a minute.

:shakehead Would have been great for you to get us some info. :shakehead

;) ;)

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Glad Toews played great... but PIERRE MCGUIRE WILL YOU SHUT UP!!! I'm getting tired of him picking out one player. I hate Phaneuf right now, all his fault!!! :madfire:

Edit: srry didnt notice there was already a thread about this

Platapie

Oct 25, 2004
I only saw the first period, but Dubnyk was outstanding from what I saw. Good for him.

Macman

May 15, 2004
It's such a joy to watch the Czechs hook, obstruct, dive and interfere. I've missed them. I'll never understand why a system that produces so many talented players feels they need to play that way.

Toews is the real deal. He will give Kessel a run for No. 1.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Habs13 said:
The O'Marra hit was charging though.. and the Poulliot hit.. I'm not so sure that was a good call, IIHF rules or not. I really expected Downie to take retaliation penalties but he showed good composure - good for him! Latendresse can fire a puck! Cogliano is a bullet train and Toews looks great!

O'Marra did charge, or else it was boarding (he was too far off the boards to get run like that)... glad someone else here called it. And Pouliot's penalty was deserved as well. Canada had best play with a bit more discipline once the games count for real. Hit yes, but those were excessive.

Hopefully it was simply a case of cabin fever where they just needed to work off some energy/frustration after having to go through the tough evaluation process and then just scrimmaging amongst themselves all this time.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
letterH said:
Someone actually posted that Bourdon didnt play much because he is sick? Well you werent watching then because he played a lot in every situation. Loved Bourdon and Staal, they were easily the best two back there. Thought Parent struggled and Letang did as well.

Thankyou, I thought that's what I saw. Solid game, and at one point (early on) he jumped into the play and had a very nice chance at the side of the net.

Impressive, and if he was sick, then even more impressive.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Really liked Cogliano, Toews, Bourdon, Barker, Letang, Dubnyk and the whole "checking line" tonight.
Canada looked impressive as did the Czechs.
Looking forward to the next game versus the Russians.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The most promising thing to come out of that game was the fact that Canada was clearly 20.5342% faster with those new jerseys.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Le Golie said:
The most promising thing to come out of that game was the fact that Canada was clearly 20.5342% faster with those new jerseys.

And twice as fugly.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Lowetide said:
Thankyou, I thought that's what I saw. Solid game, and at one point (early on) he jumped into the play and had a very nice chance at the side of the net.

Impressive, and if he was sick, then even more impressive.

Yeah, when I posted, he hadn't received a lot of icetime in the 1st period and the commentators said that he was battling the flu and perhaps that's why he wasn't playing much. However, he got a lot more ice-time as the game wore on and looked solid.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Toews played great. Created a lot of offence. He 's great on draws and he does a lot of little things extremely well. I like Pierre but he just has to stop talking about Toews so much.

Cogliano is super fast. He doesn't get knocked off the puck as much as he used to. Latendresse should have had at least a goal. He has an amazing shot. I'd put him with Cogliano.

Dubnyk played good. He played much better last night than at camp.

I thought it was a good game. Canada really took the body. Pouliot deserved a pentaly but it's a dumb rule.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
I haven't seen the game, but only the highlights on TSN.com. I was thinking what was the point of playing such a phisical game agianst the Czechs. Those hits were HUGE and both Czech players can be happy not to be in the hospital right now. The O'Marra hit was charging and it was brutal.

I tought the pre-tournament games were to develop the team game, get to know your new linemates and get ready for the big tournament...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad