WJC: WJC Division 1B (Dec. 14-20, Gdansk, Poland)

helloutsi

Mar 2, 2006
Hello :)

The division 1B WJC are starting in a couple of days and since the arena is only a half an hour drive from where I live, I was thinking of going to some of the games. The teams in the tournament are Poland, Norway, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Italy and Croatia. I have no knowledge on hockey in those countries (well, except Poland, though I don't follow our hockey league much) so I wanted to ask you guys if there are any prospects in this tournament that are worth keeping an eye on? Any feedback will be much appreciated :)

Rosters are available here: http://www.iihf.com/channels0910/wm20-ib

studley49

Oct 8, 2003
Flinton/Toronto, ON
Visit site
Kazakhstan has their two leading scorers from last year returning: Konstantin Savenkov (F) and Alexandr Kaznacheyev (F). Also, Maxim Gryaznov (G) should be their starter after holding the back-up slot in last year's tournament. He had a 8.17 GAA, but it was better than the starter's 10.47 GAA. :)

I think Belarus might be able to win the tournament with some of their older players really standing out amongst the competition: Sergei Drozd (F), Kirill Gotovets (D), Nikolai Suslo (F), and Sergei Sheleg (D). Oleg Yevenko (D) is an intriguing player, too - he's 6'8", 225 lbs and is currently playing in the USHL.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Italy has only scored 8 goals in 3 games, but they've won all of them.

They're losing to Poland 1-0 today at last glance. They need to get some points out of this game if they want to get promoted.

If they get a point and then beat Norway in their last game, then they will get promoted to the top U-20 division which would be a huge accomplishment.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Italy has only scored 8 goals in 3 games, but they've won all of them.

They're losing to Poland 1-0 today at last glance. They need to get some points out of this game if they want to get promoted.

If they get a point and then beat Norway in their last game, then they will get promoted to the top U-20 division which would be a huge accomplishment.

Poland took the game despite only managing 8 shots on goal, so I suppose this means that the promotion will most likely go to Norway.

helloutsi

Mar 2, 2006
For Norway, keep an eye on Scott Winkler (yes, half American), Rasmus Juell and Andreas Martinsen.

Went to see Norway - Kazakhstan today. Martinsen looked good. Played both PK (including 3 on 5) and PP. Used his body a lot. He got a boarding minor which was deserved but the guy he boarded should've gotten a diving penalty also for his ridiculous embelishment.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Poland took the game despite only managing 8 shots on goal, so I suppose this means that the promotion will most likely go to Norway.

If Italy can hold together their extremely stingy defense and pop in a couple of opportunistic goals, we'll be seeing them in Buffalo this time next year. Which would be a huge boon for the junior program, even if they do get their butts handed to them.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
For Norway, keep an eye on Scott Winkler (yes, half American), Rasmus Juell and Andreas Martinsen.

Winkler actually has a Canadian father who was playing professionally in Norway and stayed afterwards.

Either way, he's an interesting prospect. Has anyone seen him play at Colorado College this year? He hasn't registered any points in 8 games but I'm guessing it's going to be a long adjustment period for him having gone from Midget to the USHL to the WCHA in a matter of 2 years.

Firewagon

Jan 26, 2006
With Belarus winning today, the Norway v. Italy game will be interesting.

If Norway takes a point, they earn a berth in the Buffalo 2011 WJC.

If Italy takes all 3 points, then there is a three-way tie for first. Has anyone worked out who wins in that case?
It looks like Belarus lost in overtime to both Norway and Italy, so maybe that means Italy would win the title (since by winning today they would have beaten both Italy and Belarus.)

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
With Belarus winning today, the Norway v. Italy game will be interesting.

If Norway takes a point, they earn a berth in the Buffalo 2011 WJC.

If Italy takes all 3 points, then there is a three-way tie for first. Has anyone worked out who wins in that case?
It looks like Belarus lost in overtime to both Norway and Italy, so maybe that means Italy would win the title (since by winning today they would have beaten both Italy and Belarus.)

Italy would win as the results between the first three teams would be deciding.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Did Winkler just do an Omark on a penalty shot?!:amazed:

2-0 Norway! 13 min+ in the third period.

Edit: 3-0 Norway!

And, were going up!

IIHFjerseycollector

Feb 2, 2005
Sturgis SD
this is upsetting.. I really wanted Italy to win.. But theyve already surprised everyone with winning against Belarus and Kazakhstan. Good luck in Buffalo next year Norway!

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Congratulations 2 SirKillalot, redwingsfan, all norwegians on the board.)))

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Congratulations 2 SirKillalot, redwingsfan, all norwegians on the board.)))

Thank you very much:)

We're probably going to get killed in Buffalo next year, but I really dont care right now.. Good to see the team in the top division again:handclap:

Hopefully this means next years WJC will be on TV :D

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Thank you very much:)

We're probably going to get killed in Buffalo next year, but I really dont care right now.. Good to see the team in the top division again:handclap:

Hopefully this means next years WJC will be on TV :D

Think we have to win the Olympics before that happens. Oh, what are the odds...?:)

Hopefully we get to see a replay of Winkler's penalty shot, to see what really happened there. Someone youtube it?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad