WJC: Dec 29 GDT - Germany vs. Canada

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
good to see Canada make finish atop the Pool, just like it should be. I was at work so i only caught the first period, they seemed to play well in what i watched.

espo*

Germany is one of extremely few nations who have won WC three times. They were in the finals 2002, and the semifinals this summer 2006(you only play it once every fourth year). Football is incredibly competetive, and is the biggest sport in the world, and thus WC is the toughest tournament to win. Germany has always be known for their teamplay and their psyche, and in a teamgame like hockey, where mistakes should be eliminated at any costs... i think Germany would be really great. They also have 80 million people... while Russia might have that too, they don´t have the same psyche and teamplay.

I read in a previous thread that ppl thought England could be great in icehockey. I don´t. Biggest chockers of all time.. just look at football once again.. they SUCK.. although they have one of the best leagues in the world.

I know i know.. im just speculating... but I honestly think the germans could have been a great one.

o.k,i get the reasoning now.

I do think they could be great but to dominate is no simple matter,even for their athletes.

espo*

Good points.

German and swedes are best athletes. They don't fear losing. They rarely make mistakes, when it matters most.

I'm being a real pain in th *** here but again i've got to question something.from what i've witnessed over the years(in hockey) is that the swedes traditionally make too many mistakes at the worst times.Maybe Torino will be the day the worm turned but i've seen too many times they could'nt nail things down in hockey where i would have to wonder if thinking they rarely make mistakes is sound reasoning.

maybe they are money in the bank in othe sports but nothing i've seen in hockey over the years would have me think that.And before everyone goes all off on me i am not trying to stir things up here............just voicing my observations of their hockey work over the years.
i do agree they traditionally make few mistakes against the Finns when they play them in hockey,maybe that's why you think that way.

Now i'm really gonna get it.

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
US people don't have any team to cheer as their team sucks and now all are behind Russia. Not onyl you but a lot of US hockey fans are cheering for Russia now... :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

You put the a-s-s in class.

This US hockey fan wouldn't cheer for Russia over any other country. And in a matchup vs. Canada, I would root for Canada 10 times out of 10.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
US people don't have any team to cheer as their team sucks and now all are behind Russia. Not onyl you but a lot of US hockey fans are cheering for Russia now... :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Before you make yourself look any dumber, that poster actually has a reason to cheer for Russia.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I don't think Canada played their best game, but they did what they needed to do to win.

The level of frustration that goes with palying against Germany appears to have hit an all-time high this year. It's not fun hockey to watch, but the Germans don't care. They're on the cusp of becoming the most surprising quarter-finalist since Switzerland in 2003.

Russell really stepped up today. But I think the guy who really turned up his performance was Andrew Cogliano. He played his best game in one-and-a-half WJC tournaments. He did was he's supposed to do: create chances with his speed and stickhandling. And he did it against a team that isn't always the easiest to create chances against. Now we need Little and Marchand to do the same.

Great to see Canada clinch first in the pool. It's nice to wait until the semi-final to face the "any team can win" factor. But they still have to play hard against a Slovak team that will be looking for any momentum entering the relegation pool. Canada can't afford any bad habits on Sunday.

I don't think we've played our best game yet. In fact, I think we still have a lot of improvement to make. Which is fine. You don't want to peak in the round robin. Canada played their two best games of the tournament in last year's medal round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad