WJC Captains

Status
Not open for further replies.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Do you mean only champions.

I know about Finland: In 1987 captain was Janne Ojanen and in 1998 Pasi Petriläinen.

Dion Mustard*

For Team Canada only

'77 Dale McCourt
'78 Ryan Walter
'79 John Paul Kelly
'80 Dave Fenyves/Rick Lanz
'81 Marc Crawford
'82 Troy Murray
'83 James Patrick
'84 JJ Daigneault
'85 Dan Hodgson
'86 Jim Sandalk
'87 Steve Chiasson
'88 Theo Fleury
'89 Eric Desjardins
'90 Dave Chyzowski/Dan Ratushny/Mike Ricci
'91 Steven Rice
'92 Eric Lindros
'93 Martin Lapointe
'94 Brent Tully
'95 Todd Harvey
'96 Nolan Maumgartner
'97 Brad Larson
'98 Cory Sarich/Jesse Wallin
'99 Mike Van Ryn
'00 Manny Malhotra
'01 Barret Jackman
'02 Jarrett Stoll
'03 Scotty Upshall
'04 Dan Paille
'05 Mike Richards

Last edited by a moderator:

uzziman

Nov 6, 2002
Abby
Visit site
Its interesting to see that the majority of captains weren't and aren't stars(with the exception of Lindros, Fleury and I suppose Desjardins)

The Commish

Dec 11, 2004
McCarthy was the captain in 2001, Jackman was assistant. Just thought I would point that out.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
uzziman said:
Its interesting to see that the majority of captains weren't and aren't stars(with the exception of Lindros, Fleury and I suppose Desjardins)

I personally am not a fan of making the best players captains unless they are captains to begin with. Captains should have serious leadership qualities on and off the ice and as we all know, the best player on the team usually isn't the guy to look for to have these qualities. Of course in special circumstances the best player will have these qualities, but that is a rareity. Richards this year was the man for the job and I wouldn't have it any other way. When players look to someone for leadership, even if he is not vocal, they can see that he was the hardest working person on the ice every game, and that in itself will bring upon better play throughout the team.

Dion Mustard*

The Commish said:
McCarthy was the captain in 2001, Jackman was assistant. Just thought I would point that out.

I have a book about Canada's entry's into the WJC from 1977 to 1998. After that, it was just guesses. 1 wrong ain't too shabby I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->