WJC Bronze Medal Game: Game Day Thread - Czech Republic vs. Finland (1-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
WJC Bronze Medal Game: Game Day Thread - Czech Republic vs. Finland

I hope the Finns pulls this one off and win the bronze. The Finnish players have played very hard and stood up against the more talanted teams in an impressive way.

4-1 Finland!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm going with the Finns here. Home ice advantage, and no team has worked harder in this tournament. Final score: 4-2.

Faaxinho

Dec 2, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Quite fast first period. Czechs had more shots and it seemed that Finns were tired, although they played more physically at the last 10 minutes.
Bergenheim had 2-3 chances, but shots were aimed at middle. Toivonen and Schwarz played quite well.

Disco Volante

Mar 11, 2002
2nd to FloydianSlip
Visit site
PecaFan said:
Can't believe this isn't on tv. Stay up all night, and they can't even bother to show the Bronze medal game? :mad:

Yeah, I got up that early to follow a stupid text retranscription?! :madfire:

I wrote to RDS (the french TSN) to tell them they sucked on this and they answered me that they were sorry if a presentation of all the Canadian team's games wasn't a serious enough coverage of the tourney for me (actually answering me exactly what I was holding against them).

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
im gonna go with a 3-2 win by the czechs...

goals from hudler(2) and fleischmann :) wing prospects ofcourse

and goals on the finnish side from bergenheim and filpulla

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
zetterberg40 said:
im gonna go with a 3-2 win by the czechs...

goals from hudler(2) and fleischmann :) wing prospects ofcourse

and goals on the finnish side from bergenheim and filpulla

:lol: Are you sure you don't want to edit that post a little bit?

Faaxinho

Dec 2, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Very nice game from Finland. Czech had no chances in 3rd period. Also a great game from Finlands 3rd and 4th lines.
Schwarz was clearly the best Czech in this game. Finlands best was Lepistö, as honoured. Also the whole 3rd line should be rewarded.

Great tournament from Finland, because no one expected anything from them.

PS. Bergenheim had like 5-8 chances to score, but it was either Schwarz or the post to stop them.

Great thing that the game winner was scored by Tommi Oksa. During the whole tournament I though that he had no hands, no skill and wasn`t that smart passer. Still winning goal: Oksa picked the puck from traffic where he had shot it, couple of steps and nice wristshot that went in hitting the goal post.

Also much critized small winger Jyri Junnila played a good game. He compensated his lack of build with tremendous skating.

Valtteri Filppula played on two lines. The only reason why Valtteri`s name isn´t on the scoring sheet was Sean Bergenheim`s many wasted scoring chances. Also Czech goalie Marek Schwarz played excilent game.

Too bad dman Salmela broke his jaw and therefore Team Finland had to play with five dmen. Kevin Kantee said in interview after second period that he was pretty tired.

Lone Czech goal was a nice one. Klepis gave a pass between his legs to Hudler who immediatly gave another pass to Vondracek that was creeping to goal`s corner. One-timer and it was in. Jalasvaara ja Kantee where the Finn Dman who were bit lost on that one.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Faaxinho said:
Schwarz was clearly the best Czech in this game.

And the best player of the game also IMO.

Team Finland was full of fighters. These guys fought and fought and it seemed that Schwarz was like a wall but then Tukonen scored a pure "battle goal". The score was 1-1 and Finns were hitting anything that moved and got the puck and shot but Schwarz saved over and over again until Tommi Oksa shot the puck. It hit the post but went in. Team Finland deserved to win IMO.

Team Finland had chances earlier in the game but the worst player in Team Finland again, Petrell missed an empty net! This guys sucks big time... He blew several near goal situations in this game alone and made few situations to Team Czech Republic just impress the scouts. I am sure they saw how much of a team player Petrell was... :shakehead Sean Bergenheim was also a disappointment.

Valtteri Filppula, Sami Lepistö, Masi Marjamäki were positive surprises for me.

Bronze medal. Pretty good for a team that (in the media) was supposed to have no chance at all for a medal in this tournament. This team was no doubt a TEAM.

Faaxinho

Dec 2, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Yes, Junnila played very well in this game (good tournament altogether, he just didn't get much ice time).
He is a great skater, but his skating is quite effortless. (But a nice goal against Switzerland) :)

Padawan said:
Team Finland had chances earlier in the game but the worst player in Team Finland again, Petrell missed an empty net! This guys sucks big time... He blew several near goal situations in this game alone and made few situations to Team Czech Republic just impress the scouts. I am sure they saw how much of a team player Petrell was... TEAM.
And couple of more:

- Salmela`s injury happened after Petrell made a horrible attempt to clear the puck from his own end. Just a small toss and the puck was on Czech dman`s stick at the blueline. Czech dman made a slapshot and Salmela was force to throw himself front of that shot. Result: fractured jaw and Finns have five dmen left. I`m sure that Salmela liked Petrell`performance at that one.

- At the last minute game was 2-1. Petrell had the puck on Czech zone. Instead of killing time, Petrell tried once again that leg diversion to impress the scouts. Result: he lost the puck and Czech made another attack on Finnish zone.

He`s not a team player - not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad