Prospect Info: Pre WJC Discussion

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Wonder, how will he look at WJC...

Yes, the World Juniors should be fun for us to watch over the next few years. I expect a lot of our prospects to be there.

This year: Romanov, Caufield, Norlinder, and hopefully a few of Harris, Struble, Fairbrother, Pitlick, Olofsson, Hillis, Fonstad, and McShane.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Yes, the World Juniors should be fun for us to watch over the next few years. I expect a lot of our prospects to be there.

This year: Romanov, Caufield, Norlinder, and hopefully a few of Harris, Struble, Fairbrother, Pitlick, Olofsson, Hillis, Fonstad, and McShane.

Almost 100% chance:

Caufield
Romanov
Olofsson

75% chance:

Norlinder
Harris

Less then 50%:

Struble
McShane
Hillis

0% chance

Fairbrother
Pitilick
Fonstad

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Isn't the trend in the NHL starting to become like that? Less slap shots and more writers?

I did see some recent video on Norlinder and seems like we got a solid 2nd round pick here. 3 goals in his 1st 5 Allsvenskan games. It's a solid start for the player who has been dealing with injuries.

WJC option for Sweden? Appears to be

he was a 3rd round pick.

He is certainly in the mix for the WJC's, his chances look good now that Tobias Björnfot & Rasmus Sandin will start in NHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Almost 100% chance:

Caufield
Romanov
Olofsson

75% chance:

Norlinder
Harris

I would add Dichow to the 75% chance although it could be 50% as I don't know Denmark's team other then he was at their summer camp for the U-20's, although they won't be at the WJC's since they are in Div I this year.

So what we could see,

Team USA - Caufield, Harris
Team Sweden - Olofsson, Norlinder
Team Russia - Romanov
Team Canada - ??? (hopefully someone)

Team Denmark - Dichow

If Kotka has a bit of a slump this year I wonder if they would loan him to the WJC's?

Guys that will likely play in the CHL series vs Team Russia,

Team Russia - Romanov
Team OHL - McShane, Hillis, maybe LeGuerrier if he continues putting up the points
Team WHL - Fonstad, Fairbrother
Team QMJHL - Houde would need to keep putting up a ppg to have a shot

Last edited:
Reactions: cphabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Almost 100% chance:

Caufield
Romanov
Olofsson

75% chance:

Norlinder
Harris

Less then 50%:

Struble
McShane
Hillis

0% chance

Fairbrother
Pitilick
Fonstad

Seems reasonable to me. I would say Norlinder has a good shot! And I guess we are assuming the KHL team allows Romanov to go to the tournament again? What if his role on the team and production keeps growing as we approach December? Do they still let the 19 year old go? I'm assuming so?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Seems reasonable to me. I would say Norlinder has a good shot! And I guess we are assuming the KHL team allows Romanov to go to the tournament again? What if his role on the team and production keeps growing as we approach December? Do they still let the 19 year old go? I'm assuming so?

I'm sure they will let him go as they won't really need him and shouldn't have a hard time staying in 1st place as their roster is deep. Only one blueliner that's dressed for CSKA this year has averaged less ice time then Romanov, so unless they have an injury or two he should be there for sure.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm sure they will let him go as they won't really need him and shouldn't have a hard time staying in 1st place as their roster is deep. Only one blueliner that's dressed for CSKA this year has averaged less ice time then Romanov, so unless they have an injury or two he should be there for sure.

I tend to agree and it's not likely Romanov steals a impact role in their top 4D from now till December right? However, it that small chance turns into reality, I wonder how that KHL team would manage that situation. I guess we can talk about it if it happens so for now, he has a high degree of probability to play in the WJC as a 19/20 year old.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just saw that Dale Hunter will coach at the CHL series, he will coach Team QMJHL, he'll join Andre Tourigny to coach Team OHL and then join Mitch Love to coach Team WHL.

Hunter and Tourigny to lead Team OHL at 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series – Ontario Hockey League

2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series Schedule:
Game 1 – Monday November 4 at Saint John, NB
Game 2 – Tuesday November 5 at Moncton, NB
Game 3 – Thursday November 7 at Kitchener, ON
Game 4 – Monday November 11 at London, ON
Game 5 – Wednesday November 13 at Saskatoon, SK
Game 6 – Thursday November 14 at Prince Albert, SK

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I'll never forget how disappointed I was the year we had exactly none.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I would add Dichow to the 75% chance although it could be 50% as I don't know Denmark's team other then he was at their summer camp for the U-20's, although they won't be at the WJC's since they are in Div I this year.

So what we could see,

Team USA - Caufield, Harris
Team Sweden - Olofsson, Norlinder
Team Russia - Romanov
Team Canada - ??? (hopefully someone)
Finland: Ylonen
Team Denmark - Dichow

If Kotka has a bit of a slump this year I wonder if they would loan him to the WJC's?

Guys that will likely play in the CHL series vs Team Russia,

Team Russia - Romanov
Team OHL - McShane, Hillis, maybe LeGuerrier if he continues putting up the points
Team WHL - Fonstad, Fairbrother
Team QMJHL - Houde would need to keep putting up a ppg to have a shot

What about Struble? Does he make it? I added Ylonen to Finland.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I saw this thread and was thinking what already??? Then I realized it's only like 90 days out.

It's 84 days out since it's in the Czech Republic this year so it's already Oct 3rd there. But the CHL series vs Russia starts in one month and this year there are a number of bubble guys so I thought might as well get the discussion started.

What about Struble? Does he make it? I added Ylonen to Finland.

I would say it's unlikely Struble makes it this year, being injured for the summer camp certainly didn't help his chances so he would need a very strong start to the season. Hopefully he makes it next year.

Ylonen is a late birthdate so he's not eligible, you have to be under 20 before Jan 1st, Ylonen turns 20 tomorrow.

Reactions: Gravity

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Can Harris crack the US in the WJC? I think he is making a good case with his hot start.

I think he does make it but it sounds like the guy to worry about is Norlinder as the Swedish defensemen that cracked their NHL rosters have now been sent to the AHL so that means their chances of being loaned are much higher which makes his chances much tougher. If they all get loaned he could be in tough to even be the 7th D.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Here's what Norlinder could be contending with assuming all the players get loaned to Team Sweden,

Sandin - Boqvist
Broberg - Söderström
Björnfot - Lundkvist
Ginning

So that's a tough group to beat out outside of Ginning who I would assume is his only hope to steal a spot from.

Reactions: Mrb1p and Favster

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Here's what Norlinder could be contending with assuming all the players get loaned to Team Sweden,

Sandin - Boqvist
Broberg - Söderström
Björnfot - Lundkvist
Ginning

So that's a tough group to beat out outside of Ginning who I would assume is his only hope to steal a spot from.
That D squad looks amazing.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
it sure does but Sweden's problems are at forward, they are going to be in tough. The Russians look like they could be pretty deep, USA as well.

Not this year its not.

Holtz, Fagemo, Gustavsson, Hallander, Raymond, Pasic, Costmar, Berggren, Hoglander, Eriksson, heck, even Olofsson

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not this year its not.

Holtz, Fagemo, Gustavsson, Hallander, Raymond, Pasic, Costmar, Berggren, Hoglander, Eriksson, heck, even Olofsson

I'm no expert on Team Sweden but going off the Swedish WJC thread on the international tournaments board they don't sound so positive on their forwards.

Hallander I believe is not expected to be back in time. Lol Olofsson, the guy doesn't have a point in an SHL game for some time going back to last year. I've seen some lineups with him as their 2nd line center so that alone would be troubling to me. The two 17 year olds are a wild card since it can be a really tough tournament for 17 year olds.

I've seen a little of Berggren and Broberg for that matter since they are all on Olofsson's team, Berggern has looked the best of the 3 but none have done much of anything in the games i've seen though Berggren is putting up some assists.

Haven't heard what the Jets plan is with Gustavsson, if he's going to the AHL like the other Swedes what teams will or won't loan them to the WJC's. I would think most would loan if they are in the AHL.

What are the odds he make the wjc Sweden team? That team is stacked

we have been discussing it in the posts above, I would assume it will come down to if any of the NHL teams don't loan one of the blueliners as he is highly unlikely to crack the top 6 at least if all players are loaned from their NHL clubs and since those players are in the AHL one would think it likely they are all loaned. So if that's the case it would be a fight for the 7th spot.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm no expert on Team Sweden but going off the Swedish WJC thread on the international tournaments board they don't sound so positive on their forwards.

Hallander I believe is not expected to be back in time. Lol Olofsson, the guy doesn't have a point in an SHL game for some time going back to last year. I've seen some lineups with him as their 2nd line center so that alone would be troubling to me. The two 17 year olds are a wild card since it can be a really tough tournament for 17 year olds.

I've seen a little of Berggren and Broberg for that matter since they are all on Olofsson's team, Berggern has looked the best of the 3 but none have done much of anything in the games i've seen though Berggren is putting up some assists.

Haven't heard what the Jets plan is with Gustavsson, if he's going to the AHL like the other Swedes what teams will or won't loan them to the WJC's. I would think most would loan if they are in the AHL.

we have been discussing it in the posts above, I would assume it will come down to if any of the NHL teams don't loan one of the blueliners as he is highly unlikely to crack the top 6 at least if all players are loaned from their NHL clubs and since those players are in the AHL one would think it likely they are all loaned. So if that's the case it would be a fight for the 7th spot.

Gus should be the top c, and thats hardly bad, he did really good in the other tourneys and he's played in the NHL. Even Henriksson, Id say, should be above Olofsson who should be used in a grinding matchup, if theyre smart.

I guess Olofsson may do better one of these days against kids though..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad