Prospect Info: WJC 2020-21 - Let's Watch the Kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He is not even close to being as physical as Greenway, nor as large. Very different players. Boldy doesn't look close to ready for the NHL to me, but we'll see what he can do with the rest of the spring and summer. A player who is ready to step into the NHL should be dominating in this tournament, like Lafreniere did last year, and, I suspect, like Byram will this year.

It's a long way to the draft, but Beniers would sure look good in a Wild uniform.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He is not even close to being as physical as Greenway, nor as large. Very different players. Boldy doesn't look close to ready for the NHL to me, but we'll see what he can do with the rest of the spring and summer. A player who is ready to step into the NHL should be dominating in this tournament, like Lafreniere did last year, and, I suspect, like Byram will this year.

It's a long way to the draft, but Beniers would sure look good in a Wild uniform.

So there are only going to be 3 or 4 guys in this tourney that are “close to NHL ready”? I doubt that. USA alone will probably have 5 in the NHL next season.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

Did you see see the shift with a few minutes left where he barreled through two Fins at the blue line and then broke up another zone entry right after? That and his puck protection in the corners was pretty dominant, he looked like the most physically dominant player on the ice last night to me.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Did you see see the shift with a few minutes left where he barreled through two Fins at the blue line and then broke up another zone entry right after? That and his puck protection in the corners was pretty dominant, he looked like the most physically dominant player on the ice last night to me.

I think we are watching a different Greenway, if you think this is something he brings to the ice most games.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Ignore me saying Greenway if you want, replace that with generic power forward and then add silky hands and phenomenal vision. Against Finland he was a man among boys though. His feed to Caufield in the 2nd had a super nifty puck possession moment that would have been a scoring chance in any league, he made multiple NHL level plays and reads in that game.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't doubt his hands or vision. I do think he needs more physical maturity and speed to be effective at the NHL level. Nothing wrong with that. When he does hit the NHL, I want him to be hitting the ground running(like Makar), confident in his skills and strong enough to take some abuse, though he'll never be completely ready. I am guessing that his ETA will be the spring of 2022, though it's hard to know just when things come together physically. Development isn't always linear, but sometimes in fits and starts.

Khovanov looked excellent last year at the WJC- but has had some bumps in the road since then. Veleno looked vg also, but is playing in the second tier league in Sweden.

Last edited:

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He was much more aggressive in the game last night than I’ve seen him at BC. I think that spot he plays on their power play is perfect for him, and that’s where I’d play him here, though we’d have to do that setup to make it work. He’s a special passer. He setup so many good scoring chances around the net. He’s a big, strong guy to that can turn into some space and get the puck into the crease, too. He might not be strong enough yet to do that consistently at the NHL leve though. I’ve been really happy with his season.

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
He looks like someone who has the vision, hands, and a solid frame to play in the NHL. But I don’t see him having the speed and acceleration to make that transition next year. He looked to be watching the play a fair amount and anticipation of the play only looked ok to me. He doesnt have the acceleration to be really effective in the NHL if he doesn’t anticipate the play at a high level. Hopefully the foot speed continues to come along. If it does, he is gonna be a really good player.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Tomasino is the 14th forward for Canada and he’s probably going to play for the preds this season.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.

Your take on Boldy is spot on. He will eventually be a top six forward but he is not the next Brian Trottier.
Zegras was the best player on the ice for team USA

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Why are we comparing Boldy to a 6'6" 225 pounder?
Purely based on the role that they were using him, they have him net-front and corner possession wise and running him almost exactly the same as they had Greenway utilized, just he looks much more effective at it.

Zegras was very good in the game, but if you are evaluating for NHL level, spinning around like Yoda in the prequels, or the second coming of PMB, is very flashy but only effective sometimes at the top tier. Still a great player though and he was very impactful in the game.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Marat had a rough start so far, had one flashy rush where he proceeded to get wiped out, he did come back that same shift and had a nice defensive stick on Dach. Looks like the weakest player on his line and maybe in the game, though granted Canada is filled with some big boys, especially the top line that he is being tasked with shutting down.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Purely based on the role that they were using him, they have him net-front and corner possession wise and running him almost exactly the same as they had Greenway utilized, just he looks much more effective at it.

Zegras was very good in the game, but if you are evaluating for NHL level, spinning around like Yoda in the prequels, or the second coming of PMB, is very flashy but only effective sometimes at the top tier. Still a great player though and he was very impactful in the game.

We don’t even use Greenway that way.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
We don’t even use Greenway that way.
Its a WJC thread, and I am referencing play styles used for the last time we won the Gold, this is obviously in context of Team USA. Disappointing that the context isn't self evident but I knew that was a struggle with this board already so I guess that was my fault.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Its a WJC thread, and I am referencing play styles used for the last time we won the Gold, this is obviously in context of Team USA. Disappointing that the context isn't self evident but I knew that was a struggle with this board already so I guess that was my fault.

The comparison to Greenway, for whatever reason it first occurred, didn’t start out as WJC only, but I guess that was my mistake.

And Boldy was a f***ing rock star down low, so I don’t really know what the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->