WJC: WJC 2019 - Players by NHL team

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
WJC 2019 - Players by NHL team

I am curious to know who and how many players have a chance to play in the upcoming WJC for each NHL team.

I have separated them in 3 categories based on their chances of making the team:

1st TIER - Very close to “locks”
2nd TIER - Good shot at making the team
3rd TIER - Long shot but one can hope

Here’s how I see it for the Flyers prospects;

1st TIER
· LW - Joel Farabee (USA)
· C - Morgan Frost (CAN)
· RW - Jay O’Brien (USA)

2nd TIER
· D - Adam Ginning (SWE)
· LW - Isaac Ratcliffe (CAN)
· LW - Noah Cates (USA)
· G - Samuel Ersson (SWE)
· G - Kirill Ustimenko (RUS)

3rd TIER
· LW - Olle Lycksell (SWE)
· D - Wyatt Wylie (USA)
· C - Gavin Hain (USA)

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Montreal Canadiens:habs

Locks:
Katkoniemi, C, FIN (if sent down)
Ryan Poehling, C, USA
Nick Suzuki, W, CAN
Jacob Olofsson, C, SWE
Alex Romanov, LD, RUS
Jesse Ylonën, RW, FIN
Cayden Primeau, G, USA

Most-Likely Locks:
Josh Brook, RD, CAN
Joni Ikonen, C/W, FIN

Has a chance:
Jordan Harris, RD, USA

Slim chance:
McShane (CAN), Fonstad (CAN), Hillis

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Montreal Canadiens:habs

Locks:
Katkoniemi, C, FIN (if sent down)
Ryan Poehling, C, USA
Nick Suzuki, W, CAN
Jacob Olofsson, C, SWE
Alex Romanov, LD, RUS
Jesse Ylonën, RW, FIN
Cayden Primeau, G, USA

Most-Likely Locks:
Josh Brook, RD, CAN
Joni Ikonen, C/W, FIN

Has a chance:
Jordan Harris, RD, USA
Cam Hillis, C, CAN

Slim chance:
McShane (CAN), Fonstad (CAN)

I don't know if I'd call Romanov a lock yet but he should be there. Brook is close to a lock imo, especially if he keeps up this production. Ikonen we haven't had any update on his health so he's slated to be back around mid December, not sure that's enough time to make it.

I don't see Hillis, Harris, McShane or Fonstad having any shot unless they get red hot.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I don't know if I'd call Romanov a lock yet but he should be there. Brook is close to a lock imo, especially if he keeps up this production. Ikonen we haven't had any update on his health so he's slated to be back around mid December, not sure that's enough time to make it.

I don't see Hillis, Harris, McShane or Fonstad having any shot unless they get red hot.
Ikonen should make it base on name and lack of better options.
I agree with hillis, mcshane and fonstad, slim chances at best.
But harris is doing great. If he keeps that up he has a solid chance.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ikonen should make it base on name and lack of better options.
I agree with hillis, mcshane and fonstad, slim chances at best.
But harris is doing great. If he keeps that up he has a solid chance.

We'll see on Ikonen, he's going to be really rusty since it's a knee injury so he likely hasn't been skating all summer for sure and not sure he's even on the ice yet. So they would be taking a guy that is going to be far behind others physically (skating, speed) and rusty since not playing hockey for some time. That said we'll see what the next update on him is, where he's at in his rehab and when he expects to return. In the next few weeks hopefully we hear something.

Harris has no shot imo, he would need to be really great to get on their radar imo.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
We'll see on Ikonen, he's going to be really rusty since it's a knee injury so he likely hasn't been skating all summer for sure and not sure he's even on the ice yet. So they would be taking a guy that is going to be far behind others physically (skating, speed) and rusty since not playing hockey for some time. That said we'll see what the next update on him is, where he's at in his rehab and when he expects to return. In the next few weeks hopefully we hear something.

Harris has no shot imo, he would need to be really great to get on their radar imo.
So he has a chance.
But regardless we should have around 7 players in the U20s.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kravtsov will be there. Gross will be there. Keane is likely, but not a lock. Pajuniemi will probably be picked, but he's not a lock. Lundkvist will probably take one of the last spots or be one of the last cuts. An outside chance for Miller and Lindbom.

Likely 4 or 5 players.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Lundestrom from the Ducks is pretty much a lock if he does not stay in the league this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So he has a chance.
But regardless we should have around 7 players in the U20s.

Since he wasn't on their radar for the summer camp, he'll need some kind of a season to get on their radar. We'll see how he does over the next 2 months, he'll need to be really good to crack that USA roster but if he shows a lot maybe he can get invited to the winter camp or at least put himself on the map to get invited to next summers camp.

Reactions: Legend123

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
How next Finnish players is there any chance to get these guys in Finland's team?
Kristian Vesalainen
Henri Jokiharju
Urho Vaakanainen
Eeli Tolvanen.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Don't hold your breath to wait see Ikonen in U20 WJC's.
Last information what his liiga team is told is that Ikonen returns at least late December or early January.
Ikonen's participation to upcoming U20 WJC's is more than questionable.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Don't hold your breath to wait see Ikonen in U20 WJC's.
Last information what his liiga team is told is that Ikonen returns at least late December or early January.
Ikonen's participation to upcoming U20 WJC's is more than questionable.

yea I was thinking more along the lines if he got back a few weeks before the start of the WJC's.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Leafs

Tier 1: Liljegren, Filip Kral
Tier 2: Sandin, Eemeli Rasanaen,
Tier 3: Ian Scott and SDA

Liljegren is a lock for Sweden, outside of being injured or being in the NHL, I can't see him not being on the team. Kral was on the Czech's last year. Sandin has a very good shot, but has an injury, so a slow start could hurt him, after not going to the Summer Showcase due to being on a short summer, but he has a strong track record with Sweden. Rasanen has a good shot after being the last cut last year (actually was on the roster but not dressed until the 3rd game), but lack of time in the KHL could hurt him. Ian Scott is off to a hot start, but it will be tough and will have to go to camp and win the job, Dipietro has to be the locked in starter at the moment, so he's fighting for the 2nd job among a crowded field. I don't think SDA has much of a chance being an 18 year old Russian (Russia doesn't tend to bring many players under 19), playing in the CHL and is off to a slow start. Seems like another slow WJC year for the Leafs. Although, I'll take this over being terrible and having a bunch of guys.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Kravtsov will be there. Gross will be there. Keane is likely, but not a lock. Pajuniemi will probably be picked, but he's not a lock. Lundkvist will probably take one of the last spots or be one of the last cuts. An outside chance for Miller and Lindbom.

Likely 4 or 5 players.
Miller will be there.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Sabres:
Tier 1:
Matthias Samulesson
Ukka-Pekka Luukkonen
Oskari Laaksonen
Tier 2:
Matej Pekar
Tier 3:
None

Not a great year for Sabres in the WJC, but that is mostly a factor of 4 of 6 (the other 2 are listed at Tier 1) 2017 draftees being ineligible, no 3rd round pick in 2018, and Dahlin being on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad