U18: WJC 2019: Finland

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
If I can recall Tuomisto got sent out of the game, so did he get a game penalty? Can he play vs USA tomorrow?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Maalilla:
1 Roope Taponen
Varalla:
30 Kari Piiroinen
1:
36 Patrik Puistola – 20 Anton Lundell – 15 Antti Saarela
2 Mikko Kokkonen – 25 Ville Heinola
2:
10 Leevi Aaltonen – 35 Juuso Pärssinen – 32 Tuukka Tieksola
6 Santeri Hatakka – 7 Antti Tuomisto
3:
18 Mikko Petman – 24 Aatu Räty – 21 Aku Räty
4 Iivari Räsänen – 5 Topi Niemelä
4:
19 Veeti Miettinen – 34 Aarne Intonen – 22 Kasper Simontaival
3 Kalle Loponen
13. hyökkääjä:
28 Roni Hirvonen

Why the hell is is the coach not letting Veeti Miettinen play with Hirvonen instead of Intonen? And seriously, Simontaival is not a forward for a fourth line. He should play with Lundell and Puistola. Leevi Aaltonen should wing the Blues line in the second line and give them some additional speed. They should actually move Saarela, Pärssinen and Tieksola to the fourth, or let Tieksola play with Räty brothers, Kärpät trio. Let Petman and Pärssinen fire some light in Saarelas overrated ass in the fourth?
Why is not Blomqvist getting the chance today? Has better stats this year, and Finlands goalies has been underwhelming.
Räisänen the captain has been **** with -3 and zero points.
With this crappy performance they should´ve chosen Brad Lambert and decided his national future. This coaching staff is utter sh*t.

Things i have had on my mind, Kallionkieli did not get the chance this year, Maccelli last year. Why?
Btw, what has happen to Oliver Sunis development?
Would Wiljami Myllylä have been a far better choice on the fourth line with his speed than others?

In the end of the day my summary of this Finnish team is: Forwards have decent potential but they are trying to shine and forgetting to win hockey games, immature behavior. Kakko is really missing. The defenders are actually lacking more than i would have thought. Kokkonen, Heinola, Tuomisto and Niemela should be decent but they are not playing well. Tuomisto has not impressed me, i´ve not seen him that much before and had some hopes but he has performed like the overall team. Räsänen seems overrated in my books and Hatakka is... Not as bad as Latvala in the u20, but still nothing special.
The goalies then? Oh, my, f*cking days. I believe these are the worst goalies i´ve sen in a u18 for Finland. I mean comparing to young Saros, Husso, Luukkonen, Lassi Lehtinen, Veini Vehviläinen, Kähkönen etc. Piiroinen and Taponen are C-class goalies.
Even if i´ve never been sold regarding Anunnen and his abilities & potential, these two guys are even not on his level.
Why can´t the ****ty staff give Blomqvist the chance today? The players do not seem to have any confidence in Taponen? The management should have got fired after loosing against a mediocre Czech Republic and Belarus. It´s a another thing to loose to Sweden, USA, Canada, Russia and some golden cohorts from Czech or Slovakia. When the Czechs have players like Necas, Pastrnak, Kaut, Vrana, Zadina, Chytil etc, and goalies like Dostal or Skarek, but this year they have noting really special. That makes the finns performances even worse. I understands why the finns are raging in the comment sections of Ilta Sanomat etc.

I will not be surprised if Finland will lose against Switzerland, but if they win, i will not be surprised if they can wake the f*ck up and upset the gold favorite USA in the quarters.

Tying Lambert to Finland would've been almost as great as winning the gold medal. Why beyond the world they didn't attempt this is beyond me. At worst he could've played fourth line minutes and easier match ups. Then again, being that far ahead of his beers and having the A-Juniors experience (U20), he might have actually been a decent addition. That's a major fk up. Now if this kid changes scenery next year and plays in the different continent, our future shimmers down quite a bit and this staff should change the scenery for good.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Tying Lambert to Finland would've been almost as great as winning the gold medal. Why beyond the world they didn't attempt this is beyond me. At worst he could've played fourth line minutes and easier match ups. Then again, being that far ahead of his beers and having the A-Juniors experience (U20), he might have actually been a decent addition. That's a major fk up. Now if this kid changes scenery next year and plays in the different continent, our future shimmers down quite a bit and this staff should change the scenery for good.
Lambert has said that he'll pick the country that invites him first, and at the moment the only country that can invite him is Finland. In order to represent Canada, he'd have to fulfill the two-year-rule first. Per the IIHF doctrine, dual citizens are, first and foremost, the property of the systems that raised them. So unless he heads to the Canadian junior leagues this fall and isn't invited by us in the next two years, we can take our time with him. Though I'd be surprised if he wasn't an U18 staple next season.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Are they gonna win tomorrow, the restless cubs? Most likely not. Shall I watch it? Most likely not. Do I even care? Not that much. Yet, I do care that much I'd prefer seeing the youngster generation of Lions celebrating the under 18 championship again - I mean immediately after the horn singed its unforgiving and most atonal end note kids jumping over the boards and each other in a rejoicing heap . Am I a sentimental fool? Most likely yes. Forgive me, guys. Hockey is an emotional game, also. Especially these different junior worlds with lots of desire and energy, upsets and redemptions.

Reactions: Nate070

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Lambert has said that he'll pick the country that invites him first, and at the moment the only country that can invite him is Finland. In order to represent Canada, he'd have to fulfill the two-year-rule first. Per the IIHF doctrine, dual citizens are, first and foremost, the property of the systems that raised them. So unless he heads to the Canadian junior leagues this fall and isn't invited by us in the next two years, we can take our time with him. Though I'd be surprised if he wasn't an U18 staple next season.

I was aware of that but since his dad is Canadian, there's 100 x bigger chance for him to take a long lasting tour above the Atlantic. I certainly don't take anything for guaranteed. It's still more likely he'll represent us moving forward, but why take that chance at all when you didn't have to. They failed to do that, which is just stupid considering the caliper of a prospect we are dealing with here.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I was aware of that but since his dad is Canadian, there's 100 x bigger chance for him to take a long lasting tour above the Atlantic. I certainly don't take anything for guaranteed. It's still more likely he'll represent us moving forward, but why take that chance at all when you didn't have to. They failed to do that, which is just stupid considering the caliper of a prospect we are dealing with here.
Next season, Finland is still the only country that can invite him, so what chance did they exactly take? The chance of making him feel slighted because he didn't make this pretty stacked squad two years underage? If so, I say good riddance.

If they ignore him starting next fall, then they are gambling. A little.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
This Finnish coach has not succeeded to build any defense what so ever. I don´t care if Finland would turn things around and win. He should never get the chance as national coach in the future. Lots of penalties in every game says that the team has a bad structure and that they are lost in defense. No niin, can Simontaival, Aaltonen or Puistola give us a goal in PP.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
First period summary: Class difference for sure. USA look dynamic in every single attack and Räsänen and company are crapping their pants.
What´s the thing with Saarela? He hasn't managed to create anything. Should he play in the first line?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
This Finnish coach has not succeeded to build any defense what so ever. I don´t care if Finland would turn things around and win. He should never get the chance as national coach in the future. Lots of penalties in every game says that the team has a bad structure and that they are lost in defense. No niin, can Simontaival, Aaltonen or Puistola give us a goal in PP.

Marttila will move to coach the U16(04s) next season

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Well, he does not seem to be good enough for u18 at least. This team looks like the u20 under Rautakorpi, and that is the worst criticism you can get.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Petman has played a solid game and can hold his head high after two periods. I hope he can get a goal or two. He works hard like Aaltonen.

buzzer beater

Oct 24, 2018
Finland is playing as bad as the rest of their tournament. Can’t play close to USA level of skills.This one is a one way game so far... 4-0 after 2

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Well, this tournament was a complete miss. While there's plenty of reasons to be disappointed about the performance over all these games, I don't see much reason to disappointed over this individual game. When you lose three out of four preliminary round games, your main goal is not gold or even a medal anymore - it's to avoid relegation. And that's something they achieved.

Better effort next year.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Finnish hockey seems to have a mental problem. Pampered and hyped juniors and some soft-washed NHL players.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Finnish hockey seems to have a mental problem. Pampered and hyped juniors and some soft-washed NHL players.
These "soft and hyped" juniors have brought more gold medals from junior tournaments than ever. Or were you referring to one certain class?

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Sure. Since 2014 to this day Finland has most gold medals when u18 and u20 combined. Population around the same than the state of Minnesota.

Also the current champions in U20, looks like a lot has happened in few months then.

This team had no soul, extremely badly coached and all that but these kind of comments are ridiculous.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Sure. Since 2014 to this day Finland has most gold medals when u18 and u20 combined. Population around the same than the state of Minnesota.

Also the current champions in U20, looks like a lot has happened in few months then.

This team had no soul, extremely badly coached and all that but these kind of comments are ridiculous.
Despite all that, I have the feeling that this generation of players is perhaps too selfish and as soon as they play in the NHL, they are no longer interested in the national team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->