U18: WJC 2019: Finland

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm hopeful about the way Finland almost came back to the game against Belarus. That should give some boost to the next game against SUI hopefully. Just not liking how close to relegated team Finland is currently, but I'm hopeful they'll do enough not to get relegated.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
If they play like they played in the 1st period against Canada, everything is possible.

This is on Mika Marttila, Canada started to play Kamikaze all in hockey after 1st and that completely gof us off the rails. How did Marttila react?Well consequenses from that shock has cost us 2 losses now.

Belarus clearly watched that game vs Canada and knew where to strike. Now Marttila has to do everything to wake this team up or even completely revamp the lines, something has to be done.

I have some personal experience of playing under Mika Marttila and he's a good guy, but not very good coach unfortunately.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If they play like they played in the 1st period against Canada, everything is possible.

This is on Mika Marttila, Canada started to play Kamikaze all in hockey after 1st and that completely gof us off the rails. How did Marttila react?Well consequenses from that shock has cost us 2 losses now.

Belarus clearly watched that game vs Canada and knew where to strike. Now Marttila has to do everything to wake this team up or even completely revamp the lines, something has to be done.

I have some personal experience of playing under Mika Marttila and he's a good guy, but not very good coach unfortunately.

If that's true i'm not surprised why Patrik Laine wanted punch Marttila in Ivan Hlinka tournament once.

Reactions: Mestaruus

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
If that's true i'm not surprised why Patrik Laine wanted punch Marttila in Ivan Hlinka tournament once.
He is a "jääkiekkoliiton mies" and been on these same positions year after year, without winning anything. For me he is one these "kaikki pelaa" system/generation coaches and he did good job with Espoo junior hockey but like you mentioned that situation with Laine, he isn't the best coach for the team this talented, only my opinion though.

Obviously it's players responsibility to make all the possible effort on the ice, but it's coaches job to make sure players are ready. Two coaches has now outsmarted him, unfortunately.

Now the big guns like Heinola, Lundell etc. needs to show the way and take the charge. It's clear that these are exeptionally talented kids, they have all the tools to win this tournament.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He is a "jääkiekkoliiton mies" and been on these same positions year after year, without winning anything. For me he is one these "kaikki pelaa" system/generation coaches and he did good job with Espoo junior hockey but like you mentioned that situation with Laine, he isn't the best coach for the team this talented, only my opinion though.

Obviously it's players responsibility to make all the possible effort on the ice, but it's coaches job to make sure players are ready. Two coaches has now outsmarted him, unfortunately.

Now the big guns like Heinola, Lundell etc. needs to show the way and take the charge. It's clear that these are exeptionally talented kids, they have all the tools to win this tournament.

You're absolutely right.
This 2001 age group was first U16 team in Selänne academy but what a hell they did there.

In my eyes it looks like the boys clearly haven't listen what Selänne tried to teach them about goal scoring.
I have my doubts and i hope i'm wrong but this team needs to WAKE UP NOW not later.

Tomorrow ( Sunday) we have to win and if we won't relegation round is closer what it was yesterday.
I don't care who takes the charge but Mattila's job is prepare this team to games much better than now.

Only what i hope is that Taponen won't play anymore he's done.
If you look Taponen's numbers 4,08 goals allowed and save percentage 86,2 those aren't numbers of winning goalie.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
#36 has the best hands in Team finland, really slick hands. Great dangles in this first period

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Tbh, I expected more from alot of players in this years u18. But most deffinetly Kokkonen and Lundell, they are almost invisible these two last games. Well kokkonen has been invisible the whole tournament so far.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Win the right games, gain the momentum - win the next game, qualify - win the remaining games, win the gold medal -

That above might be a pipe dream but...that's pretty much all we have left, a pipe dream.

Reactions: king89

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
How the hell they forgot how to play when they travelled to Sweden. Games vs USA and Slovakia last week were decent, at least on the defensive end.
They didn't. For some reason that Canada game completely destroyed everything, i mean how can you go from playing amazing hockey to complete trash in 15 minutes?

There's gotta be something else going on with that team behind the scenes. I don't want to throw Marttila under the bus (already did that though in my previous post) but he has failed miserably. Every coach beats him 100-0 and he has no remedies, none.

Second is goaltending, usually not the part to where Finland falls. They have zero confidence and team has zero confidence on them. Everyone can imagine how frustrating it is for these players.

Seems like other teams are playing as a unit and Finland as an individuals, it's terrible to watch. Talented kids trying to force plays when they don't have any idea what to do with their linemates.

Marttila was exposed by Canada and other teams noticed these weaknesses aswell. After that game, it was a time to react, but no, nothing happened. That started this snowball effect and this tournament is heading towards disaster.

Reactions: Mysteric1000

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I'm avoided to criticizing Finland but now this complete pathetic bullshit crossed the line.
What a hell these guys have done in Selanne academy these floaters haven't learn nothing from Selanne on that how to score goals.

Who that Marttila motherf***er really is and why he isn't fired yet ( should have done after Belarus game). Whole team is soft as dogshit if there is even 3 real NHL prospects i'm more than surprised.

Actually getting relegated would be good wake up call.
But it's not only team it's also Finnish hockey association who should look in the mirror and learn something.

This team is disoriented, undisciplined, and out coaching staffs control.
Right now seems obvious Finnish 2001 born age group is heavily overhyped.
This so called Team Finland U18 national team isn't nothing else than bunch of cocky and arrogant individuals who doesn't have nothing respect for game of hockey or heart to play their country. Every f***ing player is doing fancy dekes etc flashy moves trying to impress NHL scouts.

Goaltending is total crap and defence is atrocious complete mess.
Offence lacks firepower, powerplay is absolute horrendous and penalty killing is mediocre as hell.

Brutal fact is that if these losers advancing to U18 WJC quarterfinal which would be 7th miracle of the world they will lose thar vs USA 12-0 and it would be absolutely right.

Get back to home and immediately you guys have playing wrong level.
And if Finnish association has any balls left Mika Marttila needs to be fired RIGHT NOW not later.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I'm avoided to criticizing Finland but now this complete pathetic bull**** crossed the line.
What a hell these guys have done in Selanne academy these floaters haven't learn nothing from Selanne on that how to score goals.

Who that Marttila mother****er really is and why he isn't fired yet ( should have done after Belarus game). Whole team is soft as dog**** if there is even 3 real NHL prospects i'm more than surprised.

Actually getting relegated would be good wake up call.
But it's not only team it's also Finnish hockey association who should look in the mirror and learn something.

This team is disoriented, undisciplined, and out coaching staffs control.
Right now seems obvious Finnish 2001 born age group is heavily overhyped.
This so called Team Finland U18 national team isn't nothing else than bunch of cocky and arrogant individuals who doesn't have nothing respect for game of hockey or heart to play their country. Every ****ing player is doing fancy dekes etc flashy moves trying to impress NHL scouts.

Goaltending is total crap and defence is atrocious complete mess.
Offence lacks firepower, powerplay is absolute horrendous and penalty killing is mediocre as hell.

Brutal fact is that if these losers advancing to U18 WJC quarterfinal which would be 7th miracle of the world they will lose thar vs USA 12-0 and it would be absolutely right.

Get back to home and immediately you guys have playing wrong level.
And if Finnish association has any balls left Mika Marttila needs to be fired RIGHT NOW not later.
Dude you seems upset, what happend?

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Maybe we should turn the hype volume bit down on these under 18 players. I don´t see it very healthy for the players. And to be honest looking yet again the counter reactions its not very healthy for the fans either. :)

We don´t seem to have most mature team. Overconfident and lack of discipline. Maybe we are lacking good leaders. But let´s not kid ourself. There is talented players. You can expect the results vary at the u18 level. Draft isn´t competition or race. It´s just a way to get you foot in to NHL teams plans. After that the competition starts.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Finnish hockey is increasingly charactersied by lack of charakter and nepotism.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
How the hell they forgot how to play when they travelled to Sweden. Games vs USA and Slovakia last week were decent, at least on the defensive end.

Too many practice games at home could be part of the reason. It's always easier to win at home. I wish they had lost all of their practice games now instead of winning them all. This made some of the kids a bit cocky probably.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Frankly, the issue might be that these player are a little TOO good for their own good. Even the fourth unit guys would be top-sixers in a leaner class. Players like that don't always adjust easily if one suddenly expects them to be humble workhorses in the NT after they've been difference makers in their club teams. Fully mature players usually understand and adapt okay, but with juniors - especially U18 and under - it sometimes is like herding cats. You need a good coach to pull it off - and sometimes even that isn't enough, because no matter how good you are, there's always a random element to it.

And I should add that that last caveat does not exonerate Marttila, since in the end the coach always bears the responsibility, whether it's really his fault or no.

Reactions: king89 and FinPanda

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
So correct me if im wrong, IF Finland beats Switzerland they get to play quarterfinals against usa? where is kakko?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->