WJC 2017 - Roster Talk

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Group: Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Czech Republic and Denmark. We play in Montreal so no traveling if we advance to medal games.

Returning players:

Goalies:
Veini Vehviläinen

Defense:
Olli Juolevi
Vili Saarijärvi

Forwards:
Sebastian Aho
Jesse Puljujärvi
Patrik Laine
Aleksi Saarela
Julius Nättinen
Kasper Björkqvist

Other possible players:

Goalies:
Christian Heljanko
Nico Viksten

Defence:
Veeti Vainio
Markus Niemeläinen
Juuso Välimäki
Robin Salo
Jesper Mattila
Urho Vaakanainen
Ville Järvinen
Tarmo Reunanen
Oliver Felixson

Forwards:
Petrus Palmu
Jonne Tammela
Kristian Vesalainen
Arttu Ruotsalainen
Otto Somppi
Aaro Vidgren
Henrik Borgström
Eeli Tolvanen
Eetu Tuulola
Otto Koivula
Janne Kuokkanen
Juha Jääskä
Aapeli Räsänen
Otto Mäkinen
Sami Tavernier
Joni Ikonen

Tell me if there is more names who deserved to be listed.

Last edited:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Group: Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Czech Republic and Denmark. We play in Montreal so no traveling if we advance to medal games.

Returning players:

Goalies:
Veini Vehviläinen

Defense:
Olli Juolevi
Vili Saarijärvi

Forwards:
Sebastian Aho
Jesse Puljujärvi
Patrik Laine
Aleksi Saarela
Julius Nättinen
Kasper Björkqvist

Other possible players:

Goalies:
Christian Heljanko
Nico Viksten

Defence:
Veeti Vainio
Markus Niemeläinen
Juuso Välimäki
Robin Salo
Jesper Mattila
Urho Vaakanainen
Ville Järvinen

Forwards:
Petrus Palmu
Jonne Tammela
Kristian Vesalainen
Arttu Ruotsalainen
Otto Somppi
Aaro Vidgren
Henrik Borgström
Eeli Tolvanen

Tell me if there is more names who deserved to be listed.

I think that guys like Eetu Tuulola, Otto Koivula, Janne Kuokkanen, Juha Jääskä, Aapeli Räsänen, Tarmo Reunanen will be in the running as well. At least in the "challenger team".

Orvelo

Jul 3, 2015
Yeah, but I can't think even one coach who is better than Jalonen. Kivi is close. Everyone is a downgrade.

This is a serious downgrade... Our team next year won't be so competitive because of these coaches.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Rauli Urama is so bad... We lost 10-1 to sweden couple years back because of his over-coaching
I hope he has learned from it and maybe discussed with Jalonen so he won't make the same mistakes again.

I trust in Rautakorpi, but we'll see how the games will start.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Urama has been assistant coach with Rautakorpi before I think, so I would imagine he wouldn't have gotten the job if he was completely useless. I would also imagine he's done something right in his career to get as far as he has, and that shouldn't be discounted based on one (awful) tournament.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Urama has been assistant coach with Rautakorpi before I think, so I would imagine he wouldn't have gotten the job if he was completely useless. I would also imagine he's done something right in his career to get as far as he has, and that shouldn't be discounted based on one (awful) tournament.

All is well in Finnish junior hockey so long when Urama stays out of junior national team coaching.
I'm not forgiven to Urama that how he avoided his responsibility into U18 home WJC 0-10 quarterfinal fiasco.

If there's someone else and better assistant coach for Rautakorpi i wanna see Ville Nieminen in that job.
He has a lot history with Rautakorpi from Tappara so even he's better option than Urama.

Last edited:

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
All is well in Finnish junior hockey so long when Urama stays out of junior national team coaching.
I'm not forgiven to Urama that how he avoided his responsibility into U18 home WJC 0-10 quarterfinal fiasco.

All I'm saying is that based on his record(2x bronze in 6 seasons as head coach in SM-liiga, 1x silver with U18 NT according to EP) he seems like a decent coach with a good amount of experience. That coupled with the fact that he was (presumably) approved or picked by Rautakorpi should be enough to alleviate any concerns based on a single match. Anyhow, he's perfectly qualified in terms of competence IMO, and whatever makes you suggest Ville Nieminen would be better at this point in his career...

Last edited by a moderator:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
One can't of course say how the Rautakorpi-Urama tandem fares before we see 'em in action, but things are not so black and white. Coaching, just like playing, is teamwork.

A player might be useless when thrust in a wrong role, but will shine when allowed to use his strengths. Similarly, a coach who was abysmal as the main bench boss, could just become a solid complementary piece when employed as an assistant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->