WJC 2016 - Roster Talk

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
How many ponits, Niemeläinen should have scored in OHL before he's useful guy in world juniors?.
Stats are only bunch of numbers, and wont tell the whole truth.

If Finland wants win gold medal, Finland's defense will need size and Niemeläinen has a size.
I don't care piece of ****, if he won't score at all in world juniors.

Only what matters is that, Niemeläinen plays hard and physical game every single match.
And he shows opponent teams, who's the boss in front of Finnish net.
:facepalm:

Defense needs size? How about checking the sizes of our current projected selection before starting with the Karjala cap hockey jargon and other nonsense again?

Tuulola - 185cm/85kg
Juolevi - 188/83
Niku - 185/80
Saarijärvi - 178/75
Mikkola - 194/83
Sopanen - 196/100

Out of those, only Saarijärvi is on the small side (and won't be replaced by anybody). Niemeläinen is listed at 195/85, meaning that yeah, while not small, he isn't notably big either - like most teenagers, he's tall but still a bit lanky.

So, no. We don't need Niemeläinen's size for anything, because there's enough meat as it is. I'm sure he won't be an abysmal pick if does get selected, but neither is he somebody who brings any discernible upside to the rest of the selection. And it's funny (or sad) that you say "you won't give a **** if he doesn't score at all" when I specifically said that his production isn't an issue - his basic defensive game is. :facepalm: He is flashy, but still lacks consistence, especially when compared to Juolevi, who is the high mark out of '98 borns. Which is I'm wary of him.

Other candidates for slot #7 feature...

Decent-sized body:
Keskitalo - 187/80
Vainio - 188/83
Salo - 184/82

Mid-size:
Rouhiainen - 183/77
Pelli - 176/78

Small fry:
Haaranen - 170/60

Apart from Haaranen and Pelli, none of the closest options are of the kind who would have issues with their physicality. And even if either of them does get picked, it's no big deal (no pun) because they won't bring an added liability to a defense that would be somehow undersized already. Even with them in, the D averages safely around the magical 185/80+ mark.

Aye, but Rantanen might be playing too well at the moment.
Well, if they don't let him go, then they have to pick someone else. Good thing we aren't lacking options.

Solution no. 1 would likely be entering Saarela into the lineup somewhere, even as a winger. Lammikko can also be moved up in lineup. Further down the list, there are guys like Virta and Björkqvist who seemed to have pulled their weight where it mattered.

It'll be interesting to see whom the Avs recall now that Tanguay is out. If it's Rantanen, then his chances of featuring go down as he could be too close to a callup to be let go even if he was in the farm at the relevant moment. If it's someone else, the chances go up, as it's a sign they're perfectly happy to have him where he is, despite his production.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
After today's action, here are my current thoughts of the final lineup...

Kähkönen
Vehviläinen
Larmi

Juolevi - Tuulola
Niku - Saarijärvi
Mikkola - Sopanen
Keskitalo

Rantanen - Hintz - Kapanen
Laine - Aho - Puljujärvi
Tammela - Nättinen - Repo
Lammikko - Siikonen - Kiviranta
Saarela

That... that might just be the best U20 squad we've ever had.

I wouldn't put too much stock on Aho playing at centre. He only played there because Hintz was rested. He's only played centre a couple times with Kärpät A-juniors last seson before this game.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I wouldn't put too much stock on Aho playing at centre. He only played there because Hintz was rested. He's only played centre a couple times with Kärpät A-juniors last seson before this game.
Yet, Aho seemed - at least in this game - to fit the slot far better than Kalapudas or Saarela who regularly play in a similar role. In fact, Saarela was on that very same line but was playing wing, despite being the seemingly obvious solution to take over while Hintz sat out.

To me, it's an indication that Jalonen is not fully happy with what's seen of those two (especially Saarela) so far and is looking to try other options beyond Hintz and most likely Nättinen. Also, it opens a means to clear the logjam of potential wingers a bit, opening a spot to another guy who fully deserves to be there but who would be a 13th forward at best otherwise.

I guess we'll see later if Jalonen keeps slotting Aho down the middle or not, especially after the final camp begins and Nättinen arrives.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I'm not overly keen on neither Saarela or Kalapudas. Hope neither of them have anything to do with the first two lines. Aho doesn't have enough experience to play center (and would propably be reliabilty on the dot) so I'm hoping to see him on Pulju's wing. Nättinen and Hintz look like the best candidates for the middle men in the top6. If one of them gets injured they'd have to start considering options however.

Repo impresses me (a bit of a wildcard). Also brings up various different options for the line up. Have to admit, this forward group does seem to look to be the best ever in the history for as far as I can remember. Atleast so long as Rantanen doesn't get the call up.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Sebastian Repo took a hit to the head last night and most likely got a concussion. Let's hope he will be fine for the WJC.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Kalapudas was demoted to A-Junirs from Kärpät's Liiga team. Not really looking good for him.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Kalapudas was demoted to A-Junirs from Kärpät's Liiga team. Not really looking good for him.

I'm hoping to see some replacement candidates for him regarding the WJC team as well.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It's not the first trip Kalapudas makes to the juniors this season and he's been evenly decent with the NT regardless of that, so I doubt it'll hurt his chances all that much. Not that he's at this point considered anywhere beyond the bottom six anyway - the top-two guys should be Hintz and Nättinen. I guess a lot depends on whether Jalonen figures Saarela is better suited for wing or down the middle.

The prospect of Repo being out for good feels more of a bummer - and even more so if the Avs don't let Rantanen go. Our team would still not be bad, but we could forget about stacking our depth beyond the the top six.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
So, now we have Aho getting hurt. More excitement, yay.

First things first, it was already said that it's not as bad as it initially seemed (given they had to use stretchers and a neckbrace), but there's still a fair chance he'll be out for an indeterminate time.

Let's hope it's only a "mild" concussion as was in Repo's case. While Aho has not been on the radar as much as some other guys slated to make this team, he's still a very important complementary piece.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If / when Aho will be sidelined for long time, and his world juniors are threatened.
Who'll replace him.

Aho is important player, and if he can't play at all in U20 WJC's.
It's huge loss for Finland.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If / when Aho will be sidelined for long time, and his world juniors are threatened.
Who'll replace him.
Jonne Tammela would most likely find his way into the regular lineup, if Jalonen doesn't deem him good enough to be there by default.

Our top-three centers would be Hintz, Nättinen and Saarela/Kalapudas/Gymer and the optimal winger selection sans Aho is Rantanen, Kapanen, Laine, Puljujärvi, Repo and Tammela. It's better with Aho of course, but that's still a decent group.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
So, now we have Aho getting hurt. More excitement, yay.

First things first, it was already said that it's not as bad as it initially seemed (given they had to use stretchers and a neckbrace), but there's still a fair chance he'll be out for an indeterminate time.

Let's hope it's only a "mild" concussion as was in Repo's case. While Aho has not been on the radar as much as some other guys slated to make this team, he's still a very important complementary piece.
I don't think we have to worry about a concussion, unless Aho banged his head on the ice when he fell down. The shot hit him on the left side of the neck area.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I don't think we have to worry about a concussion, unless Aho banged his head on the ice when he fell down. The shot hit him on the left side of the neck area.
I was just going with what Kärpät management said after the incident, noting that "looks like we got away with 'just' a concussion".

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I would hold on to that precious oxygen, at this rate we'll soon be holding our breath on another key injury.
Yeah, there's still plenty hockey to be played before the puck drops, so this was probably far from the last bullet to dodge.

Funny how it feels even more of a bummer when you're in threat of losing a piece from a stacked team than an average one, despite the loss being way more significant in the latter case. I guess it has something to do with not wanting to mess with perfection - or something that's close to it.

That being said, I feel compelled to tell you regardless, that we mostly expel CO2 when we exhale. ;)

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
Funny how it feels even more of a bummer when you're in threat of losing a piece from a stacked team than an average one, despite the loss being way more significant in the latter case. I guess it has something to do with not wanting to mess with perfection - or something that's close to it.
I would agree with this. Not having Kasperi Kapanen, Olli Maatta and Alexander Barkov in 2014? Well, nah, it's not like we're gonna win anyways... :sarcasm: About to lose one part of a super stacked home tournament lineup that is actually expected to do great things? A disaster.

Please, pretty please, no one get injured in the coming month, ok? I want to see this play out. Even if the whole team horridly cracks under pressure and expectations, failing to score a single goal, I want the whole team to do it rather than have crappy excuses.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Time to let out a collective sigh of relief. Aho will be fine.

Some words about Sebastian Aho...

Kärpät were in a long (6-8 games, I can't remember) winning streak before he got injured - now they've lost three in a row and both Niemi and Puljujärvi look lost out there without Aho.

And it's not even a first time for Kärpät when Aho is moved for some reason or another and his ex-linemates fall into obscurity.

He'll be massive for Finland.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Yeah I think that Aho is maybe the most important player for the team. He is so good both defensively and offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad