Czech Republic: WJC 2014 Roster - Prediction

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
So WJC 2013 is over. Not sure what to think about it. Good games in preliminary round (except for the match against Swedes). I enjoyed it. But then that freaking big loss in the 1/4 final which ruined the whole impression.
I think that next year we won't have that skilled team as we had in this one (at least on paper). Also, there won't be many returnees (plus Faksa may not be available - could play NHL, even though I don't think it's gonna happen). The main goal should be avoid relegation which I hope shouldn't be that big problem because of the new format.
After two years where the team was mostly centered around Hertl, Musil, Jaskin, Hrbas etc. is coming a new one. I think it could be fun try to guess the roster. Here's mine. What do you think?

Marek Langhamer (94)
Patrik Polívka (94)
Daniel Dolejš (94)

Petr Šidlík (94)
Jan Å tencel (95)
Michal Plutnar (94)
Jan KoÅ¡ťÃ¡lek (95)
Tomáš Andrlík (95)
Ronald Knot (94)
Filip Pyrochta (96)

Radek Faksa (94)
Vojtěch Tomeček (94)
Dominik Simon (94)
Jakub Vrána (96)
Richard Nejezchleb (94)
Patrik Machač (94)
Adam Chlapík (94)
Martin Procházka (94)
Ondřej Slováček (94)
Dominik Kubalík (95)
Patrik Zdráhal (95)
Jan Schleiss (94)
David Pastrňák (96)

Babula

May 31, 2012
These boys are promising also

G- René Svoboda (95)

D- David Němeček (95), Martin Kokeš (95), Tomáš Dvořák (95), Jan Mandát (95), Alex Pisárik (95),

F- Martin Kohout (95), Matěj Zadražil (94), Tomáš Harkabus (94),

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
These boys are promising also

G- René Svoboda (95)

D- David Němeček (95), Martin KokeÅ¡ (95), Tomáš Dvořák (95), Jan Mandát (95), Alex Pisárik (95),

F- Martin Kohout (95), Matěj Zadražil (94), Tomáš Harkabus (94),

Svoboda, Nemecek, Kohout are nothing special, Kokes, Dvorak, Zadrazil and Harkabus are pretty bad, Pisarik can´t skate.
Mandat is promising as he is very talented but doesn´t work hard without the puck.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Svoboda, Nemecek, Kohout are nothing special, Kokes, Dvorak, Zadrazil and Harkabus are pretty bad, Pisarik can´t skate.
Mandat is promising as he is very talented but doesn´t work hard without the puck.

Is this looking like a poor year for Czech's in the NHL draft? The only notables I've really heard about are Kostalek, Zdrahal and Kubalik and it looks like the latter has fallen off this season. Maybe Bartosak, Sidlik and Plutnar could get a look, but are there any others who have a decent shot at being drafted?

Babula

May 31, 2012
Is this looking like a poor year for Czech's in the NHL draft? The only notables I've really heard about are Kostalek, Zdrahal and Kubalik and it looks like the latter has fallen off this season. Maybe Bartosak, Sidlik and Plutnar could get a look, but are there any others who have a decent shot at being drafted?

What about Jan Å tencel He is not lumberjack, but he has a lot of skills and no fear imo.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009

Kostalek is only sure thing.
Could be the only one Czech being selected.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Kostalek is only sure thing.
Could be the only one Czech being selected.

Well, this year draft isn't gonna be good. Let's hope the next year will make it up for us.
About that, I wonder why Jakub Kotala isn't playing. Is he injured or what? And is he really that good prospect as his stats say?

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Well, this year draft isn't gonna be good. Let's hope the next year will make it up for us.
About that, I wonder why Jakub Kotala isn't playing. Is he injured or what? And is he really that good prospect as his stats say?

I think that he is injured. Don´t remember if I ever saw him but don´t think he is that good. Stats are inflated by playing with Pastrnak.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I'm sure they will have Zacha on the team.. even as a 97 born, hes better then any of the 94 borns on the team, other than Faksa. I cant wait for the team 2 years from now tho... 96's and 97's are strong. That's proven by their u-18 bronze medal at the ivan hlinka this year. But this winter i think 5th place would be an accomplishment. But you never know.. still a great team with a respectable defense. The only REAL concern would be goaltending. But I think they are going to be good enough to have a chance against USA, Sweden, or Finland.

SomeSortOfHockey

Oct 9, 2013
I'm sure they will have Zacha on the team.. even as a 97 born, hes better then any of the 94 borns on the team, other than Faksa. I cant wait for the team 2 years from now tho... 96's and 97's are strong. That's proven by their u-18 bronze medal at the ivan hlinka this year. But this winter i think 5th place would be an accomplishment. But you never know.. still a great team with a respectable defense. The only REAL concern would be goaltending. But I think they are going to be good enough to have a chance against USA, Sweden, or Finland.

I agree with you about Zacha. I watched a few of his games (video) and am really impressed by him. His only weakness right now is his skating, which actually is not that bad if you compare him to other young Czech players coming up. But his vision, hockey sense, and passing is elite, his strength and shot is at the pro level. Really excited about him and I am certain he will be on the team (his commitment to staying home and where he is headed right now are big pluses, that and he really is better than most of the 94's, one could even say he is better than all the 94's without being nuts)

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
This years team is going to be fairly weak. I really think last year was a team that could have competed for a medal, but things didn't really work out (not to mention they left Stransky off the team again due to politics). This year they're not going to be able to replace the holes left by graduated players. Who will replace the star power of Hertl, Frk, Musil, Jaskin and Bartosak? Or the grit and leadership of Sedlak and speed of Hyka?

Faksa is really going to have to lead this team and Langhamer will have to play out of his mind in goal if this team wants to have a chance. I can see a 5th place finish, but nothing more.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
This years team is going to be fairly weak. I really think last year was a team that could have competed for a medal, but things didn't really work out (not to mention they left Stransky off the team again due to politics). This year they're not going to be able to replace the holes left by graduated players. Who will replace the star power of Hertl, Frk, Musil, Jaskin and Bartosak? Or the grit and leadership of Sedlak and speed of Hyka?

Faksa is really going to have to lead this team and Langhamer will have to play out of his mind in goal if this team wants to have a chance. I can see a 5th place finish, but nothing more.

Yeah for sure. It's not that strong of a team. But will be for the next few years. With the likes of vrana, pastrnak, karabacek, zacha, pyrochta, vladar... I mean the list goes on of upcoming talents. They are going to be better then last years group. A lot better in my opinion.. But it will be interesting to see some of them play on this years team. I think vrana, pastrnak, and zacha are guarantees.. But yeah... 5th place is likely.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa

You know anything about David Cienciala? He has really good stats. Currently playing in Finland and eligible for this years draft.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
You know anything about David Cienciala? He has really good stats. Currently playing in Finland and eligible for this years draft.

Saw him once two or three years ago, remember that he was small and nothing special. His father was good coach and great guy, passed away suddenly last year.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Yeah for sure. It's not that strong of a team. But will be for the next few years. With the likes of vrana, pastrnak, karabacek, zacha, pyrochta, vladar... I mean the list goes on of upcoming talents. They are going to be better then last years group. A lot better in my opinion.. But it will be interesting to see some of them play on this years team. I think vrana, pastrnak, and zacha are guarantees.. But yeah... 5th place is likely.

From what we hear, it does sound like the players you mentioned are going to be stud prospects. Hopefully they continue their trajectory and lead the Czech team to a medal in the coming years.

How do you think these guys compare to Hertl and Faksa? Will any of them be taken higher in the draft?

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
From what we hear, it does sound like the players you mentioned are going to be stud prospects. Hopefully they continue their trajectory and lead the Czech team to a medal in the coming years.

How do you think these guys compare to Hertl and Faksa? Will any of them be taken higher in the draft?

To be honest, i havent seen enough to really say.. But Faksa and Hertl were drafted in 2012.. it was a defence heavy draft, with limited offensive competition. Different story in this upcoming draft. Lots of unreal offensive talent that these kids have to contend with. So that makes it tough to say.
I personally believe that Vrana and Pastrnak could very possibly be better in their overall game vs Hertl and Faksa. And Faksa was just plain terrible at last years WJC IMO.
But many of the past group players were just average skaters. Frk, Hertl, Musil... Czechs overall team speed was very slow and thats partly why i think they didnt get a medal.. Goaltending as well of course..
But its different with these upcoming guys.. they are MUCH better skaters and still match the skill of Frk, Hertl, Musil, Jaskin etc.. So i think at the absolute least, that these 96 and 97 born players, will be battling for a bronze in these next few years at the WJC's. I do think its a reasonably stronger group.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Saw him once two or three years ago, remember that he was small and nothing special. His father was good coach and great guy, passed away suddenly last year.

Oh thats sad to hear… Cant imagine how tough that would be for him..
Well his stats are really good in Finland. A lot better then some of the Finnish guys that were mentioned and rated in the NHL Central Scouting list.. Weird that he's not on that list in the Finland Jr. League section..

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
So the preliminary roster has been announced:

Goalies:
Daniel Dolejš (HC Vítkovice Steel)
Marek Langhamer (Medicine Hat, WHL)
Dominik Hrachovina (Tappara Tampere, Finland).

Defensemen:
Jan Štencel (HC Vítkovice Steel)
Libor Šulák (Piráti Chomutov)
Karel Plášil (Mountfield HK)
Ronald Knot (HC Slavia Praha)
Patrik Marcel (HC Škoda Plzeň)
Jan KošťÃ¡lek (Rimouski, QMJHL)
Michal Plutnar (Tri-City, WHL)
Petr Šidlík (Victoriaville, QMJHL)
David Němeček (Saskatoon, WHL)

Forwards:
Dominik Simon
Martin Procházka (both HC Sparta Praha)
Ondřej Kaše
David Kämpf (both Piráti Chomutov)
David Pastrňák (Södertälje, SHL)
Jakub Vrána (Linköping, SHL)
Pavel Zacha (Bílí Tygři Liberec)
Richard Nejezchleb (Brandon, WHL)
Dominik Volek (Red Deer, WHL)
Radek Faksa (Kitchener, OHL)
Patrik Zdráhal (Rimouski, QMJHL)
Vojtech Tomeček
Jiří Fronk (both HC Energie Karlovy Vary)
Patrik Machač (Rytíři Kladno)
Pavel Sedláček (PSG Zlín)

I'd say it's pretty much as expected. Just little surprised Polívka didn't make it.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
So the preliminary roster has been announced:

Goalies:
Daniel Dolejš (HC Vítkovice Steel)
Marek Langhamer (Medicine Hat, WHL)
Dominik Hrachovina (Tappara Tampere, Finland).

Defensemen:
Jan Štencel (HC Vítkovice Steel)
Libor Šulák (Piráti Chomutov)
Karel Plášil (Mountfield HK)
Ronald Knot (HC Slavia Praha)
Patrik Marcel (HC Å koda Plzeň)
Jan KoÅ¡ťÃ¡lek (Rimouski, QMJHL)
Michal Plutnar (Tri-City, WHL)
Petr Šidlík (Victoriaville, QMJHL)
David Němeček (Saskatoon, WHL)

Forwards:
Dominik Simon
Martin Procházka (both HC Sparta Praha)
Ondřej KaÅ¡e
David Kämpf (both Piráti Chomutov)
David Pastrňák (Södertälje, SHL)
Jakub Vrána (Linköping, SHL)
Pavel Zacha (Bílí Tygři Liberec)
Richard Nejezchleb (Brandon, WHL)
Dominik Volek (Red Deer, WHL)
Radek Faksa (Kitchener, OHL)
Patrik Zdráhal (Rimouski, QMJHL)
Vojtech Tomeček
Jiří Fronk (both HC Energie Karlovy Vary)
Patrik Machač (Rytíři Kladno)
Pavel Sedláček (PSG Zlín)

I'd say it's pretty much as expected. Just little surprised Polívka didn't make it.

Pretty decent group. I agree with you on polivka. He should be there. Im also kind of surprised that Kubalik isnt included. I like him much more then Zdrahal.

But its nice to see Vrana, Pastrnak, Kase and Zacha. Future of Czech hockey right there.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Anyone have a guess as to how much action Langhammer will see? Yotes prospect :)

It should be between him and Dolejš who's going to be a starter. Right now I'd give a bit of an edge to Dolejš but it's close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->