Olympics: Without the NHL, who were the most notable players?

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Usually the top players performing at the Olympics are familiar faces from the NHL. Without the NHL's participation in the Olympics this year, who were the standouts?

Tolvanen is the obvious answer with 9 pts in 5 games. Who else stood-out for you?

Reactions: adsfan

TomatoJos

Jan 5, 2018
By Team:

Russia -
Kaprizov, Gusev, Gavrikov (plus Datsyuk and Kovalchuk which was expected)

Finland -
Tolvanen

Canada -
Noreau, Roy, Robinson

Czech Republic -
Francouz, Kubalik, Kovar

Sweden -
Omark, Hersley

USA -
Donato Jr

Germany -
Aus den Birken, Kahun, Erhoff

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Usually the top players performing at the Olympics are familiar faces from the NHL. Without the NHL's participation in the Olympics this year, who were the standouts?

Tolvanen is the obvious answer with 9 pts in 5 games. Who else stood-out for you?

Eeli Tolvanen is a Nashville prospect. I did get to see him play in one game, the one after he had 3 assists. He can slip a pass into traffic like a magician!

Donato also impressed me. He scored a lot for the US.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Canada - Noreau
Czech - Cervenka
Finland - Kontiola
Germany - Hager
Norway - Thoresen
OAR - Kaprizov
Slovakia - Hascak
Slovenia - Mursak
South Korea - Dalton
Sweden - Omark
Switzerland - Ambuhl
USA - Donato

Last edited:

CH

Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
I would argue that although many of these Olympians could play a minor role on an NHL club in place of some other roughly equivalent role player, there are only three players who based on their play in the Olympics could make a significant NHL impact right now. They are Ilya Kovalchuk, Vasily Koshechkin and Eeli Tolvanen. We will likely see Tolvanen this season. Good chance we see Kovalchuk next season. Koshechkin we may never see in the NHL.

CH

Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
I think its clear as we go to overtime in the gold medal game that Nikita Gusev is a fourth player who could make an NHL impact right now. Will he? As Vegas Golden Knight property, I think Shipachyov's experience there this season might give him second thoughts.

caslava

Dec 1, 2017
Slovakia
Canada - Noreau
Czech - Cervenka
Finland - Kontiola
Germany - Hager
Norway - Thoresen
OAR - Kaprizov
Slovakia - Hascak
Slovenia - Mursak
South Korea - Dalton
Sweden - Omark
Switzerland - Ambuhl
USA - Donato
Hascak was horrible. If anything Daloga was our best player

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Kahun for me as well. Almost forgot about him because I don't really follow Munich, but wow that boy has speed and hands.

Vladnyc

Feb 25, 2018
I think its clear as we go to overtime in the gold medal game that Nikita Gusev is a fourth player who could make an NHL impact right now. Will he? As Vegas Golden Knight property, I think Shipachyov's experience there this season might give him second thoughts.

I can't imagine Gusev comes over to Vegas after the Shipachyov thing. How long does Vegas own his rights?

Reactions: CH

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Men:

Gusev

Ryan Donato

The German Goalie aus den Birken

Women:

Jocelyne Lamoureux

USA women’s goalie Rooney

Ad

Upcoming events