Prospect Info: With the the 147th selection in the 2013 entry draft, the Ducks select William Besse

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I think boom or bust might be a fair assessment, I'll say that his natural ability to score though is just off the charts, there are very few players I have ever seen with his ability to put the puck in the net. Kyle Rau had that ability but not quite the same physical tools IMO. I also believe he hit a growth spurt the past year, his school page listed him at 5'10 185 at the start of the season, and an eye test said around 5'11-6' in the middle of the season for me. I have been an avid follower and participant in metro prep hockey and a collegiate hockey fan since the early 90's and this kid is up there with the greats I have seen. He was a hockey household name in the suburbs since he was winning titles as a peewee and even while I was in Cali I heard rumbles of his play as a freshman.

Wisconsin isn't particularly known for their true freshman forwards so it will be interesting to see how that plays out, and the physicality of the NCAA will be another big test, but he played with a huge target on his back throughout his HS career and he gave as good as he got and always was back up on his feet for the next shift.

He has shown a commitment to education and winning championships, so I would not be surprised if he stays at Wisconsin for at least 3, if not the full 4 years for shots at the national title irregardless of his development. I think it speaks volumes of his character that he stayed in MN to finish HS and try for another title with his teammates and something worth a lot of respect.

Anyway, that's as much praise as you'll ever see me give a prospect, especially one that has never set foot on NCAA ice, so feel free to take that with a grain of salt and reserve judgement until you've seen him yourself, but, for whatever my two cents are worth, I think the kid is a player.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
It's pretty unfair to label a 5th round selection a boom or bust player. It's either he exceeds despite whatever it is that made him slide past 146 other players or he fulfills the expectations of his draft position would be nothing. If this kid doesn't make it he's hardly a bust.

Having said that though this pick is reminiscent to Kevin Roy (though he was taken a round earlier) last year and Chris Wagner in 2010. These are the kind of picks you feel comfortable taking a kid that has a lot of potential and time to grow playing college hockey. I think it's unlikely any of them play but I'm glad they take kids with talent. You can work hard and improve yourself physically but you can't suddenly become more talented. I'd rather have long shots with some game. I like this pick.

Wagner, played wing and center on almost every line in Norfolk last year as well as PK all year and some PP. This was his rookie year in the AHL, so I'd have to call that pick a success at this point. Friberg is another 5th rounder who will make an impact in the AHL this year. Both these guys should see some time in Anaheim over the next couple of years. If that's what your getting out of 5th round picks your scouting staff is doing a tremendous job for your organization.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Wagner, played wing and center on almost every line in Norfolk last year as well as PK all year and some PP. This was his rookie year in the AHL, so I'd have to call that pick a success at this point. Friberg is another 5th rounder who will make an impact in the AHL this year. Both these guys should see some time in Anaheim over the next couple of years. If that's what your getting out of 5th round picks your scouting staff is doing a tremendous job for your organization.

First off let's not get ahead of ourselves with Wagner and Friberg. I agree Wagner had a good rookie year and Friberg is showing a lot of promise. But neither has proven they're going to make it as NHL players though I am hopeful for them, Wagner especially.

What I'm saying is if they or Besse make it they should be viewed as overachievers because a mid-fifth round pick is a long shot. If they don't make it they shouldn't be labelled busts for that same reason. We've had all of 8 players drafted in the fifth round or later to EVER play a game for us and most of them played a couple like Wirtanen, Salcido and Tenkrat. At this point in the draft we shouldn't expect any play we take to ever play. If they do it's a bonus and a testament to wonderful scouting and dedicated players.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Good point.

The other issue we are starting to see is we have a lot of very talented forwards. There will be guys who will make it to the NHL and unfortunately it will probably not be in Anaheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad