Line Combos: With the possibility of Kadri suspended...

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Hyman-matthews-nylander
Komarov-marleau-marner
Jvr-bozak-brown
Johnsson-plek-kap

Thats what I expect babcock to do.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
"Scared" isn't fair but a few forwards (cough Nylander, cough Bozak) spent a little too much energy avoiding contact and not enough time working through contact. But on average the forwards took their share of lumps and initiated contact.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Hyman/Matthews/Nylander
JVR/Bozak/Marner
Johnsson/Marleau/Kapanen
Komarov/Plekanec/Brown

I don't think Kadri will be missed that much, he should only be out maybe 2 games.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Matt Martin doesn't deter physical players from opposition teams playing physical hockey in the playoffs.

This is on Kadri for not keeping his head, not on the coach.

It's hilarious that you think Matt Martin has any influence in this series.

He already has. Buh bye Kadri

We got bullied. Period.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Boston are suffocating our top line with Bergeron+Chara combination. That line had no room to breathe. The only time they really broke down Bostons structure was when Nylander fished out the pick in a spin move to attack the center of the ice. We had them there, but he of course fumbled the puck.

With Kadri suspended, I'd spread the wealth to be honest. Make it harder for Boston to match up. Go with something like:

Marleau - Matthews - Hyman
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Plekanec - Brown

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Boston are suffocating our top line with Bergeron+Chara combination. That line had no room to breathe. The only time they really broke down Bostons structure was when Nylander fished out the pick in a spin move to attack the center of the ice. We had them there, but he of course fumbled the puck.

With Kadri suspended, I'd spread the wealth to be honest. Make it harder for Boston to match up. Go with something like:

JVR - Bozak - Marner
I'd do the opposite. Keep the lines and embrace that Matthews - Bergeron matchup.

Babcock is overly concerned about matchups and roles right now and has been for a while. If we can match their top line (or even keep close) we should be in a good spot to win this series. Shift the focus away from fear for that line, you want them to be confident to take on the best.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'd do the opposite. Keep the lines and embrace that Matthews - Bergeron matchup.

Babcock is overly concerned about matchups and roles right now and has been for a while. If we can match their top line (or even keep close) we should be in a good spot to win this series. Shift the focus away from fear for that line, you want them to be confident to take on the best.
That's just the thing. I don't think we can match that top line AND their top pairing. I think that'll suffocate two of our three game-breaking talents, and with Kadri out we'll have to rely mostly on just Marner.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That's just the thing. I don't think we can match that top line AND their top pairing. I think that'll suffocate two of our three game-breaking talents, and with Kadri out we'll have to rely mostly on just Marner.
If our top line isn't good enough to match theirs and our depth can't out perform theirs, are we good enough to win?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Komarov - Marleau - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Johnsson - Plekanec - Kapanen

Marleau to center that line makes far too much sense to me because it keeps the other lines intact, and although we were awful last night that lineup has been working, and worked against Boston in the past. Don't change it because 1 game. Then Babs will want Komarov on that line to replace Kadri because it's the defensive line. Johnsson then gets to jump in on that 4th line which was absolutely amazing when it was together. Hopefully it will be again so then when Kadri comes back Babs can keep it together and scratch Komarov instead.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Even if Kadri isn't suspended, I would use Johnsson and Moore over Komarov and Plekanec. If Kadri is suspended, then I would bring in Leivo.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If our top line isn't good enough to match theirs and our depth can't out perform theirs, are we good enough to win?
I think we can be. I'd like our chances a whole lot more if we had spread our offense and rolled four lines. Either way, it is through depth we'll win this series, in my opinion. They are better than us on line 1, and can match us on line 2, but I think we should be better on line 3 and could have a substantial advantage if we used it on line 4.

The Bergeron-Chara combination is one of the most suffocating duos in modern NHL history. Walking into that matchup with mots of our talent feel like walking into a trap.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Even if Kadri isn't suspended, I would use Johnsson and Moore over Komarov and Plekanec. If Kadri is suspended, then I would bring in Leivo.

Yup Leivo is good along the boards and has good hands. He'd be good in this series. Won't happen though unless there's injruies

Reactions: PuckMagi

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If Kadri is suspended

Martin-Matthews-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Hyman
Leivo-Marleau-Kapanen
JVR-Bozak-Brown

PP Unit 1
Bozak-JVR-Marner-Leivo-Rielly

PP Unit 2
Matthews-Nylander-Marleau-Johnsson-Gardiner

PK Unit 1
Hyman-Kapanen

PK Unit 2
Johnsson-Brown

PK Unit 3 (if needed)
Marleau-Marner

If Kadri is not suspended/or when comes back from suspension

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Martin-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Marleau-Kapanen
JVR-Bozak-Brown

PP Unit 1
Bozak-JVR-Marner-Kadri-Rielly

PP Unit 2
Matthews-Nylander-Marleau-Johnsson-Gardiner

PK Unit 1
Hyman-Kapanen

PK Unit 2
Johnsson-Brown

PK Unit 3 (if needed)
Marleau-Marner

Play the skilled forwards/kids vets are pulling this team down (Plek/Komarov).

I have said it many times;

BABCOCK if you lose the series playing the vets what do you gain? If you lose the series playing the kids at least kids gain experience

If you win the series playing the kids; it is a WIN-WIN scenario. Kids gain experience and you win the series.

Wake the F up babcock; play the kids!!!!!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
He already has. Buh bye Kadri

We got bullied. Period.

The Leafs didnt lose because of a lack of Matt Martin.

The Leafs lost because:

A) their special teams got destroyed
B) discipline.

Give your head a shake. This isnt 2010 anymore. Enforcers are dead in this league

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I think we can be. I'd like our chances a whole lot more if we had spread our offense and rolled four lines. Either way, it is through depth we'll win this series, in my opinion. They are better than us on line 1, and can match us on line 2, but I think we should be better on line 3 and could have a substantial advantage if we used it on line 4.

The Bergeron-Chara combination is one of the most suffocating duos in modern NHL history. Walking into that matchup with mots of our talent feel like walking into a trap.

Look at the bright side. In 5 years they'll be retired in the HOF and the Leaf young stars will just be peaking...

Reactions: Nithoniniel

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If Leafs get badly beaten up in game #2 physically and on the scoreboard then for game #3

Matt Martin -- Collen Greening -- Mason Marchment might need to be inserted.
yeah, if we get killed on the scoreboard, icing a bunch of fringe NHLers should fix everything. Brilliant analysis

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

JVR - Bozak - Marner

If Komarov/Plek have to play then I can live with something like this. If babcock is hell bent on sheltering bozak/jvr then throw marner there too

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
"Scared" isn't fair but a few forwards (cough Nylander, cough Bozak) spent a little too much energy avoiding contact and not enough time working through contact. But on average the forwards took their share of lumps and initiated contact.
I didn't think Nylander was that bad. He fought well on the boards in a few battles an was strong on his skates. Agreed on Bozak though I noticed him shy away at various points.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Marleau-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Martin-Komorov-Kapanen

or

Hyman-Matthews-Johnsson
Marleau-Nylander-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Martin-Komorov-Kapanen

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
How about the fact the Leafs, other than Kadri and Komarov at times, have no physical forecheck to get in and hit/punish Chara, Krug, etc..... I don't think anybody is advocating Martin being in in an enforcer role, but a forecheck/body check role. He was a key for the NYI having the best 4th line before he left. He hits hard and clean. At least Polak was hitting hard last night.

Playoff hockey is harder hitting, more physical - always has been, always will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->