With the new minor league layout what teams disappear 2016

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Boise interests have poked around the WHL Kootenay Ice. That topic even went so far as to become a question the last time Ron Robison was in Seattle. So as much as people have tried to ticket Boise for the AHL, they seem to be looking elsewhere.

And the fact that they're looking might fuel a fire regarding one or more of Alaska, Colorado, Rapid City, and Utah. Caveat: the WHL rejected Boise once, and is probably inclined to repeat the action. So, eh, ?

Maddog

Dec 17, 2008
Boise interests have poked around the WHL Kootenay Ice. That topic even went so far as to become a question the last time Ron Robison was in Seattle. So as much as people have tried to ticket Boise for the AHL, they seem to be looking elsewhere.

And the fact that they're looking might fuel a fire regarding one or more of Alaska, Colorado, Rapid City, and Utah. Caveat: the WHL rejected Boise once, and is probably inclined to repeat the action. So, eh, ?

While the owners of Kootenay have expressed displeasure in operating in Cranbrook with only an average crowd of 2200 they did just sign a 15 year lease in 2010. Not sure how that will mess things up if Boise is trying to lure the Ice away from Cranbrook.

DHammond

May 19, 2015
I don't think Elmira is in trouble. I'll give you my theory why. Terry Pegula wanted that Buffalo-Rochester-Elmira connection. I think he will pump money into the franchise to keep it here,especially now that the Jackals are owned by a non-profit. Any money he pumps in would be a write off. I think that's part of the motive behind the Jackals being donated to a non-profit.

Last edited:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I don't think Elmira is in trouble. I'll give you my theory why. Terry Pegula wanted that Buffalo-Rochester-Elmira connection. I think he will pump money into the franchise to keep it here,especially now that the Jackals are owned by a non-profit. Any money he pumps in would be a write off. I think that's part of the motive behind the Jackals being donated to a non-profit.

Pegula would be a fool to want to own an ECHL team. Not only do the Jackals almost never make money he is way overvaluing this league. Only one team has ever been NHL owned that I'm aware of and that was Trenton. I'm not sure he can claim two teams as a tax write off because I'd bet a fair amount of money Rochester isn't making money either. Buffalo I'm sure the last couple hasn't either.

I don't really wanna get into it...mostly because I don't really care anymore and haven't gone to games for awhile but I think that donation was a suckup card to not look like the bad guys if this goes under like it currently looks that its going to be inevitable.

Now I'm not rich and I've never had the desire to be rich but I don't think you get rich by making silly decisions. True the tax write off exists for the rich but buying them really wouldn't do anything for him. I'm sure even with tax write offs over time you still lose money. This is an almost guaranteed to lose money team. That's why I've been scratching my heads at this silly idea these owners are expecting nothing less but to break even in a 3 year span. Now nobody knows the typical money ordeal of the Jackals history because I'm certain Afr cooked those books to his liking. But owning your own arena and pumping nothing into said arena it made sense how at foreclosure time the team and arena were in different standings.

CJNewman

Feb 1, 2014
Honestly I don't think theirs going to be anything more than the basic one or two teams moving in 2016. With that said I do think that we are far from over seeing major moves, but it will be spread out over the next 5-7 years. I feel that the NHL will have 100% control of the AHL before the next CBA. I do feel every NHL team will have their affiliates within a 4 hour drive or a 2 hour direct flight. I do feel that their will be more AHL/ECHL swaps. I do feel that the ECHL will have a bigger imprint in the northeast and that some of the weaker teams will drop to lower leagues like the SPHL. I do think that when the NHL expands that the AHL will grant expansion teams to existing NHL franchises over the expansion teams.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Only one team has ever been NHL owned that I'm aware of and that was Trenton.
Reading was, and Ontario/Manchester still is.

I'm not sure he can claim two teams as a tax write off because I'd bet a fair amount of money Rochester isn't making money either. Buffalo I'm sure the last couple hasn't either.

If he has one business that makes a profit and 2 others that lose money, he can offset his profit with his losses, however he is still losing money. I think the suggestion was that he could make a donation to the non-profit instead of buying the team, and write off the donation. I'm not sure that is possible, since only donations to charity are deductible, and not every non-profit is a charity.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Reading was, and Ontario/Manchester still is.

If he has one business that makes a profit and 2 others that lose money, he can offset his profit with his losses, however he is still losing money. I think the suggestion was that he could make a donation to the non-profit instead of buying the team, and write off the donation. I'm not sure that is possible, since only donations to charity are deductible, and not every non-profit is a charity.

Wasn't Reading only a half and SMG was basically running the show? I was gunna mention them but I didn't think it was 100% ownership.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Everblades are owned by the Hurricanes, too, I believe.

Not sure on the other two but I know this isn't true because a couple years back an article came out about the team being up for sale and there were two perspective buyers and one just wanted the arena to turn it into something else. I think they never got sold though as the owner changed his mind.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Not sure on the other two but I know this isn't true because a couple years back an article came out about the team being up for sale and there were two perspective buyers and one just wanted the arena to turn it into something else. I think they never got sold though as the owner changed his mind.

ECHL Stockton was purchased by Calgary so they could move their AHL team in Adirondack to Stockton. I think the same thing happened with the Oilers and Bakersfield/Norfolk. But these purchases were really for location, not just to buy an ECHL team.

Nerdlinger

Hockey Noob
Mar 31, 2015
Not Vietnam

If no one's bought them, though, doesn't that mean Karmanos still owns them?

CJNewman

Feb 1, 2014
Florida was sold, but I don't know to who though. I do remember Florida was almost sold and moved to Glens Falls after the Phantoms left.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Pretty certain he wasn't the guy. Wouldn't make sense or else the Canes would have been on the block and the Checkers

The Florida Everblades were absolutely founded by majority owner Peter Karmanos, who also owns the Hurricanes. So yes, same ownership. He put the team up for sale in 2013 when he decided to start liquidating some of his assets upon leaving Compuware. This year he sold both his OHL franchise, the Plymouth Whalers, and their home venue the Compuware Arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad