With the expected 2020 expansion draft, how should the FO prepare?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The front office will prepare as it always has. It will focus on being the most competitive team that it can. If that means handing out NMCs or NTCs to ensure an "important" player signs, then so be it.

They are going to lose someone good and have already resigned themselves to it.

Reactions: thebus88

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
He has 3 years at $5.85M left and a no movement clause. His family is here in Columbus (large house in Muirfield) and it's likely his last contract. Bottom line I'm not sure he is tradeable (he would have to agree to it). This will be one of those bad contracts that we have to ride out I'm guessing.
I have no doubt Dubi will play hard, but if ownership/coaches just keep scratching him it could be a bad situation.
I have no doubt that Dubi would waive his NTC given how things went in CBus this season. His contract is a tough one to deal but there are always ways. Columbus has to at least think about options that would remove a player with a NTC prior to the next expansion draft. Granted, he may waive at that time as well. I'm aware of where he lives and have crossed paths with him in Dublin. He loves Columbus but this is also not his last contract and playing 10 min per night, or a healthy scratch, does him nor the CBJ any good. Just surmising here...

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Honestly, I'd probably just try and protect our 7 best forwards, 3 defenseman, and 1 goalie or whatever the protocol is to protect the most players.. Let them pick whatever player that we don't protect.. I probably don't make any side deals with Seattle here at this time.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Honestly, I'd probably just try and protect our 7 best forwards, 3 defenseman, and 1 goalie or whatever the protocol is to protect the most players.. Let them pick whatever player that we don't protect.. I probably don't make any side deals with Seattle here at this time.
PLD, Panarin, Atkinson, Wennberg, Anderson, Dubinsky(per NMC), Foligno(per NMC)

Jones, Werenski, ______ (one of Murray, Nutti, Kukan, Carlsson and Gavrikov)

A lot can happen in two years, any one of those players could solidify themselves on the roster over the next two seasons. Some more likely than others. Right now I'd still go Murray until someone else can start eating minutes(looking at you Nutti)

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
PLD, Panarin, Atkinson, Wennberg, Anderson, Dubinsky(per NMC), Foligno(per NMC)

Jones, Werenski, ______ (one of Murray, Nutti, Kukan, Carlsson and Gavrikov)

A lot can happen in two years, any one of those players could solidify themselves on the roster over the next two seasons. Some more likely than others. Right now I'd still go Murray until someone else can start eating minutes(looking at you Nutti)
Both will have modified NTC at that time, no protection needed.

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
That and I would be very surprised if Dubi isn't bought out or otherwise removed at that time regardless, judging by how his career is going lately.
I just checked and Fligs still have NMC to his modified NTC after this season, so not sure how it will work, but i think that Captain will waive. They expect the expansion in 2020 right? It's gonna be last year of his contract.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I have no doubt that Dubi would waive his NTC given how things went in CBus this season. His contract is a tough one to deal but there are always ways. Columbus has to at least think about options that would remove a player with a NTC prior to the next expansion draft. Granted, he may waive at that time as well. I'm aware of where he lives and have crossed paths with him in Dublin. He loves Columbus but this is also not his last contract and playing 10 min per night, or a healthy scratch, does him nor the CBJ any good. Just surmising here...
I would think this is his last contract. He's 32 now so would be 35 the season after his contract expires. Can't see that being more than a 1 year, small dollar contract and way league is going not sure if a 35 year old 3rd/4th line C could find a job. Again we disagree on that point.
I totally agree if Columbus can move him do so, but Dubi is set. No reason for him to waive his NMC/NTC. If Columbus chooses to try to tick him off by scratching him while he can still be productive in an attempt to get him to waive it - that's their choice. It's petty crap like that that makes our front office look like a bunch of hacks and prevents us from advancing. Most teams play to win (wheter it's now or in 2-3 years). Columbus more often than not is trying to find ways to rid themselves of their past mistakes instead of getting better. it will be same thing this off season with very limited cap room. At least last offseason they dumped the worst contract but it cost us a 1st round pick and a guy that helped lead an expansion team to more playoff wins in year one than in our franchise history.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I just checked and Fligs still have NMC to his modified NTC after this season, so not sure how it will work, but i think that Captain will waive. They expect the expansion in 2020 right? It's gonna be last year of his contract.

Yeah, I can see Foligno being willing to waive at that point.

And on the same token I don't think we could get Dubinsky to waive :naughty:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Yeah, I can see Foligno being willing to waive at that point.

And on the same token I don't think we could get Dubinsky to waive :naughty:
Don't have to, he doesn't have NMC anymore, he can be waived 1 day of the season this year :) I think he will clear though. :D

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Dubinsky will be out of the NHL by the time his current deal expires.

Some GM might give him a one year deal when he gets bought out, but he has declined so much and is so slow he may not get a deal. He'll probably do the KHL gig if he still wants to play.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't think Dubinsky is going to be an issue next expansion draft (assuming he's still here). There were rumors he wasn't happy here so maybe he'd welcome a fresh start on an expansion team, plus it's closer to Portland (where he played junior) and closer to his home state. I think he'd waive.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Fully prepared for Dubinsky to have a "bounce back" year next year.

Also, fully prepared to not let you guys hear the end of it.

Fair warning.

Reactions: cslebn

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Dubinsky will be out of the NHL by the time his current deal expires.

Based on your prior opinion of William Karlsson being "an easily replaceable spare part" (and that) "Wild Beel-type players are available all the time during the off season and usually make the waiver wires weekly during the season" I fully expect Dubi to get some Selke votes next year.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Not sure what the Dubinsky debate has to do with the thread, but sure I'll pile on.

I was just coming in to say that if the expansion happens in the 20/21 season at least the CBJ have the option of buying out the final year of Dubinsky or Foligno, if either or both are on the roster. Heck Dubinsky can be sent down the AHL at this point, the NMC is gone.

As far as losing someone "good", we'll see. Looking at things right now there seems to be less danger of being backed into a corner. The only contract of note on the NMC/NTC front, at this point, seems to be the Atkinson contract and that is changed to a M-NTC for 2020/2021.

At this point there seems to be some flexibility.

Frankly, I like that Vegas had a fighting chance and they had a great run at the start the franchise. I'm not really the jealous type and the CBJ have had more than enough time to build a winner. To this point the Vegas addition has added a lot of revenue to the NHL.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If every NHL team can only freeze 9 players the Seattle team will make the Cup as the VGN.... Ridiculous... ...
Maybe we can work a deal where we trade them our entire roster in exchange for their expansion draft rights. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I wouldn't be too shocked if he does. I would, however, expect that to be essentially his last hurrah.
While I don't expect that - and hope I'm wrong - I do agree with you it would be "his last hurrah" should it happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad