With the benefit of hindsight were you happy the Leafs didn't trade for Ryan McDonagh?

With the benefit of hindsight were you happy the Leafs didn't trade for Ryan McDonagh?

• Total voters

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Hard to say since I don't know what he would have cost us, but I am glad he's not the guy for which we blew our brains out...I don't know if that was proper english but I went for it

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
NYR might be happy with the return they received from Tampa, perhaps moreso if the Lightning win the Cup next season as there is a 1st round pick in that for the Rangers. McDonagh would've been an upgrade to our blueline, yet I suspect we shouldn't have competed with their offer, and who knows for certain if we even could have.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I honestly don't remember what the asking price was. but i don't think Tampa gave up talent of Lilegren's potential, so i doubt that's what we had to pay (or that was the deal, THE END). and. if that was the case (and for argument's sake, it was), it doesn't change the fact that Lou didn't get a defenseman period. he basically was happy with what we had and Dermott = them getting a defenseman which was a dumb, dumb dumb decision.
Looking at what Tampa gave up besides their 1st round pick this year, they also included Brett Howden who was their 1st round pick at 26th overall in 2016, Libor Hajek who was their 2nd round pick in 2016 at 37th overall and Vladislav Namestnikov who was their 1st round pick in 2011 at 27th overall. So who on the Leafs and Marlies would those players equal?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Looking at what Tampa gave up besides their 1st round pick this year, they also included Brett Howden who was their 1st round pick at 26th overall in 2016, Libor Hajek who was their 2nd round pick in 2016 at 37th overall and Vladislav Namestnikov who was their 1st round pick in 2011 at 27th overall. So who on the Leafs and Marlies would those players equal?

i dunno really

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

And that’s the thing, the Leafs have a deep enough prospect pool to make those trades. If they had traded a combination of Liljegren, Bracco, and maybe Kapanen things would look pretty rough around here.

In retrospect there is a case to be made the Leafs should have spent another year ( after 2015-16) selling some assets for the future to build up a larger stockpile (or not trading as many 2nds for rentals).

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Hainsey did not struggle for most of the season, his play dropped off, when he came back from having the flu. but whatever. let's say you are right.

Having McDonagh for 1.5 years and having a guy who you could move down your lineup because he is still a very good defenseman is a good thing. it doesn't always have to be the "he's a right hand" or "he's a top guy". how about "he's just really really good at what he does?"

for the life of me i don't understand why people here don't want veteran players and I feel this (and not you specifically) is what this is really steaming from. he's not a sexy superstar like doughty etc, he's not young and can put up 50 points, but he's solid. and quite frankly this team needs solid. and I believe in my bones he would have helped this team down the stretch when they were starting to shake, and he would have helped during the playoffs.

I honestly don't remember what the asking price was. but i don't think Tampa gave up talent of Lilegren's potential, so i doubt that's what we had to pay (or that was the deal, THE END). and. if that was the case (and for argument's sake, it was), it doesn't change the fact that Lou didn't get a defenseman period. he basically was happy with what we had and Dermott = them getting a defenseman which was a dumb, dumb dumb decision.

Hainsey was bad for most of the season but you keep telling yourself that he was not bad. It is the same as the year before when I said Zietsev was bad and everyone said he was our best D man when he struggled more then he did this year in fact I thought Zeitsev had a better season and can see him improve off of his last season.

It was not for 1 and 1/2 years but one year and 17 games and even less when you consider he would be in his last year of his contract and you were mad that Lou did not move out our pending free agents this season. So paying a high price for a player only to move him out at some point the next season making his cost very high for a rental.

Rangers ask price was high and they did want our first round pick as well as a top prospect (Lilly was the reported ask) and another pick/prospect.

We have two actual 50 point D nan something he has never done nor is he Likely to do so he is not an upgrade offensively over Rielly or Gardiner. He is better Defensively then Gardiner but his cost was way to high and we should thank Lou for not biting on him as the cost was to high and no cost control making the Likely hood of it being among the worse trades in recent history.

Ryan also at his best as a puck-moving defenseman, not necessarily as a shutdown guy (he’s only had a positive corsirelative to his teammates once in eight seasons). So we needed defensive help not more offensive help and he is a left shot not a right shot which would have made him far more attractive.

Here is what another believe ask price was for Ryan. The Leafs can acquire Ryan McDonagh for Travis Dermott, Connor Brown and a First round draft pick. This was the day of the deadline and we thankfully turned it down.

My opinion has not changed and we were smart as the price was to high and he was not the right fit for the reasons I posted above.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
The best thing in game could have happened in game 7, was that Gardiner has been played a less and Dermot been on the ice more. Maybe the that problem could have been solved by having Sheldon Keefe coaching game 7 and Babcock stopped at the border or something. McDonagh no real difference maker and the Leafs had no reason to give away futures for him.
I might be the only one who thinks the Leafs just might have an improved defence 2019/20 when maybe they can make a real playoff run.

It wouldn't have mattered if Gardiner had played less, the whole Leafs team was dead. Gardiner was the only one that tried sparking the team and failed miserably. How does a team go the first 9 minutes of the 3rd period without taking a shot?

As for this thread, I don't mind the 2nds for Plekanec/Boyle BUT ONLY because we had no internal option ready for 4C. I'm 100% expecting Dubas to address this (Aaltonen, Lindholm and potentially Gauthier soon should be ready).

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
And that’s the thing, the Leafs have a deep enough prospect pool to make those trades. If they had traded a combination of Liljegren, Bracco, and maybe Kapanen things would look pretty rough around here.

In retrospect there is a case to be made the Leafs should have spent another year ( after 2015-16) selling some assets for the future to build up a larger stockpile (or not trading as many 2nds for rentals).
Yeah but you can't do that if you make the playoffs.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I'm not sure what we would've had to give up. How could I be upset?

He's not a good enough D to trade away a good chunk of our future for.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If this was like 2020 and beyond, then we probably should have made a hard push for the McDonagh equivalent at the deadline.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Not disappointed we didn't get him, but disappointed that the C position and D are still an issue that wasn't addressed (only band-aid solutions)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Not disappointed we didn't get him, but disappointed that the C position and D are still an issue that wasn't addressed (only band-aid solutions)

and that's what is really ticking me off.
like. poo or get off the pot.

i mean i never have a qualm making a trade. (and i know a tonne of people here love citing the bad ones in our history, and gloss over the really good ones). like if you wanna get a good centre, make the move to do one. same with a defense.

like is McDonagh the answer. no. but it would have been a year and a bit of having better defensive help. People wanna cite how he 'didn't look good' w/Tampa, that doesn't automatically translate into "he wouldn't have looked good here.' and it didn't have to be McDonagh. it could have been anyone (not named Tanev).

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad