With the benefit of hindsight were you happy the Leafs didn't trade for Ryan McDonagh?

With the benefit of hindsight were you happy the Leafs didn't trade for Ryan McDonagh?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Recently I have read comments from people on here who hated that Lou Lamoriello traded away 2nd round pick in 2017 and 2018 for Brian Boyle and Tomas Plekanec.

Now I also remember during the most recent trade deadline some Leafs fans were upset that Lou did not trade for Ryan McDonagh, which would have cost a lot more. Maybe part of that is because he went to Tampa since they are a division rival and there was a good chance the Leafs could have played them in the 1st round or 2nd round.

So with that being said and with the benefit of hindsight were you happy the Leafs did not pay the asking price for McDonagh?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In hindsight it was certainly the right move. It would’ve gutted the leafs prospect pool, and it seems as if some of the younger players are still developing. This was not the season to try and go all in

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The best thing in game could have happened in game 7, was that Gardiner has been played a less and Dermot been on the ice more. Maybe the that problem could have been solved by having Sheldon Keefe coaching game 7 and Babcock stopped at the border or something. McDonagh no real difference maker and the Leafs had no reason to give away futures for him.
I might be the only one who thinks the Leafs just might have an improved defence 2019/20 when maybe they can make a real playoff run.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I wasn’t happy then and I am not happy now, I don’t even know what kind of package they would have wanted from us but to not even consider getting a top 2 D available at that price is extremely disappointing. I’ll just leave it at that.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
No hindsight required.

Edit: I voted yes but you said with hindsight. I didn’t need that to see it was a dumb idea. Should it be a no.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Trading for McDo was the idiotic move when our path to Cup was projected as BOS-TBL-PIT-WPG/NSH, and not trading our UFAs was idiotic as well.
The issue is that Lamoriello was dammed if he did and dammed if he didn't. Some people were upset he didn't trade JVR, Bozak, ends up trading for Plekanec and were upset he didn't trade for McDonagh.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
The issue is that Lamoriello was dammed if he did and dammed if he didn't. Some people were upset he didn't trade JVR, Bozak, ends up trading for Plekanec and were upset he didn't trade for McDonagh.
Since that's half assing it. TBL acquired McDo, BOS acquired Nash and others improved significantly when we spent a good asset on our 4th line

Lou was f***ing garbage on actual GM responsibilities

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Since that's half assing it. TBL acquired McDo, BOS acquired Nash and others improved significantly when we spent a good asset on our 4th line

Lou was ****ing garbage on actual GM responsibilities
Boston still overpaid for Rick Nash who basically did nothing for them.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
in hindsight it was just as dumbo then as it is now.
I don't think it would have gutted our depth
it would have given us another option.

they needed to shore up the defense. they've needed to do this five years ago, and we keep using spit and glue to put it all together. it didn't even have to be McDonagh, but they should have done something. Saying that they were surprised how Dermott did and so it changed their plans is okay but then you think as the playoffs went on, Dermott's play suffered. having a better option and giving Dermott lesser minutes would have helped. a lot.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Boston still overpaid for Rick Nash who basically did nothing for them.
It doesn't matter how he performed, our competition that was better than us already added a top 6 W and a top pair D, when we only added a 4C.

You either go all in and acquire a top guy, or you realize you aren't beating the competition without a Cinderella run that could happen with or without our UFAs so you trade them

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

Lou was ****ing garbage on actual GM responsibilities

exactly. like he did his job and got rid of the yucky contracts
He got Andersen
and then he did nothing to either significantly improve it (further) or make more moves to continue the "rebuilding, gathering assets" he just sat there.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yes I am. I don't believe McDonagh played that well for Tampa, and certainly didn't help them propel to the Cup. Not sure how much different it would have played out here.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Yes I am. I don't believe McDonagh played that well for Tampa, and certainly didn't help them propel to the Cup. Not sure how much different it would have played out here.

defense depth.
always a good thing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He would have been nice to have had him for next year, this year it wouldn't have mattered.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I think most TDL trades nd up being a waste of assets for buyers, and sellers always seem to come out on top.

If you’re going to make a move, do so before the season starts, get the asset accustomed to the team/linemates ect. TDL acquisitions always cost way more than they usually would and often have trouble adjusting to their new team.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Good defenseman but the wrong fit. We need a RHD. The Bruins specifically set up their forecheck to expose our weak side defense.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Depends, if we trade for McD, would we have won the cup this season or would we win it next season? Without knowing the answer to that, this question is impossible to answer.

Seriously though, I agree with the post below - TDL purchases almost always end up being a waste of assets. It may be worth noting that WSH spent big on Shattenkirk last season and that got them nowhere. Then this season without him, they're looking pretty good.

Winning the cup in any one season is always such a long shot for any team. Based on that, I there is a case to be made that you can't go wrong with a policy of never purchasing rental players at the TDL.

I think most TDL trades nd up being a waste of assets for buyers, and sellers always seem to come out on top.

If you’re going to make a move, so so before the season starts, get the asset accustomed to the team/linemates ect. TDL acquisitions always cost way more than they usually would and often have trouble adjusting to their new team.

Reactions: Brown Dog

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Depends, if we trade for McD, would we have won the cup this season or would we win it next season? Without knowing the answer to that, this question is impossible to answer.

Seriously though, I agree with the post below - TDL purchases almost always end up being a waste of assets. It may be worth noting that WSH spent big on Shattenkirk last season and that got them nowhere. Then this season without him, they're looking pretty good.

Winning the cup in any one season is always such a long shot for any team. Based on that, I there is a case to be made that you can't go wrong with a policy of never purchasing rental players at the TDL.
The one difference with McDonagh and Shattenkirk is that McDonagh is at least under contract for next season, although it's only for 1 more year.

Shattenkirk was about to become a UFA and everyone knew he wanted to play for the Rangers.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm not sure he was the right guy for us to make a big buy on. You could argue he might have been a nice fit with Zaitsev and Gardiner would not have been on the ice in some situations that didn't go well but then you are stunting Dermott.

I do think that two years in a row now we could have broke out of the 1rst round with a top pairing RHD but I've not seen any beyond one we knew was signing with the Rangers.

I know people hate Tanev's injury history and it freaks people out but when healthy he would change this team quite a bit. 1 piece pushing everyone down a spot gives us a solid D corp. That and a long term #4 C solution would be nice. This 2nd round pick every year is getting tiresome.

We are getting to the point where a trade has to happen for us to take that next step because we do not have prospects to fill a couple critical C spots and grooming a top pairing RHD who can handle a shut down role could take a long time.

This will be an interesting summer. Will we offer 8 mil to Carlson or 10 mil to Taveres or will we do almost nothing again and just keep grooming kids?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'm not sure he was the right guy for us to make a big buy on. You could argue he might have been a nice fit with Zaitsev and Gardiner would not have been on the ice in some situations that didn't go well but then you are stunting Dermott.

I do think that two years in a row now we could have broke out of the 1rst round with a top pairing RHD but I've not seen any beyond one we knew was signing with the Rangers.

I know people hate Tanev's injury history and it freaks people out but when healthy he would change this team quite a bit. 1 piece pushing everyone down a spot gives us a solid D corp. That and a long term #4 C solution would be nice. This 2nd round pick every year is getting tiresome.

We are getting to the point where a trade has to happen for us to take that next step because we do not have prospects to fill a couple critical C spots and grooming a top pairing RHD who can handle a shut down role could take a long time.

This will be an interesting summer. Will we offer 8 mil to Carlson or 10 mil to Taveres or will we do almost nothing again and just keep grooming kids?

We keep trying to give the number 4 center to Gauthier but he seems to constantly blow it.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

If you’re going to make a move, do so before the season starts, get the asset accustomed to the team/linemates ect. TDL acquisitions always cost way more than they usually would and often have trouble adjusting to their new team.

we could have had him for 1.5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->