Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
P
Not sure I’m reading that right but if Zegras has Brayden Point potential, no way you trade him for Eichel, you add Eichel while keeping him.

Point has been the key to unlocking Kucherov’s true potential.

It’s saying his draft year closest statistical comp was Point I believe. I wouldn’t read much into that comparison to be honest, they played in completely different leagues and they don’t play anything alike really.

I would argue the latter statement is the other way around, Point benefits so much more from Kucherov than the other way around and you can see it his the numbers with/without Kucherov.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
But how about Zegras comparison to Kucherov?
Not super precise styles, but both are fairly small'ish (or average'ish) in size but oozes offensive skill. Kucherov had a phenomenal U-18 and good U-20. Zegras had a good U-18, great first U-20 and phenomenal second U-20. Both great competitors. Kucherov probably has a better shot but Zegras is a better playmaker (yet to prove in the NHL tho)

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
But how about Zegras comparison to Kucherov?
Not super precise styles, but both are fairly small'ish (or average'ish) in size but oozes offensive skill. Kucherov had a phenomenal U-18 and good U-20. Zegras had a good U-18, great first U-20 and phenomenal second U-20. Both great competitors. Kucherov probably has a better shot but Zegras is a better playmaker (yet to prove in the NHL tho)

I’ve mentioned this comparison before. The biggest difference between the two is Kucherov is ridiculously strong for his size, something Zegras will need to work on and will also come as he gets older.

Reactions: Kalv

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Style wise I see a comp between Zegras and Kucherov but the comparison is purely style wise as Kucherov thinks the game at a level higher than pretty much everyone else in the league except maybe Crosby. His offensive IQ is off the charts.

Zegras sees the game very well and has a flair for making some ridiculous plays but he’s never going to reach the same offensive heights Kucherov has.

I still think the Barzal comp is the most accurate I’ve seen. Slightly different skating styles and Barzal is faster but other similarities are there.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Style wise I see a comp between Zegras and Kucherov but the comparison is purely style wise as Kucherov thinks the game at a level higher than pretty much everyone else in the league except maybe Crosby. His offensive IQ is off the charts.

Zegras sees the game very well and has a flair for making some ridiculous plays but he’s never going to reach the same offensive heights Kucherov has.

I still think the Barzal comp is the most accurate I’ve seen. Slightly different skating styles and Barzal is faster but other similarities are there.
I like the kucherov comp more than barzal just because barzal is such a high end skater that his whole game is around how he is the best skater on the ice whereas zegras and kucherov succeed by skill and iq first and foremost.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
How many points does Zegras need before Christmas to be considered for Team USA? I know it’s unrealistic but I’m living on dreams to be excited for this upcoming shit show of a season lol.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
My expectations for this dude are sky-high. Between him and Drysdale, we might have a watchable product this year.
Zegras and Drysdale will be fun to watch, not sure how watchable the product will be, but it will be nice to see two great young players develop over the course of a full season for sure.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Is he going to get a different number this year?
Looks like it will be next year.
Comtois as well had to goo through a whole season in Anaheim to get a new (#44) number. Zegras is even participating in the Prospect tournament so I would expect it be in the next offseason when they announce a new number. Can't see him sticking with #46.
He has mentioned his favorite jersey number is #13 (because of Datsyuk), I really hope he picks that.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
I think 13 is such a boring number. And that comes from someone who played with #13 for five seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad